Reaves Suspension Incoming?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
So let me get this straight. Two guys coming at each other trying to do the same thing, and one guy gets a little higher so the other guy gets hurt.

Where have I heard that before?

/3 game suspension for Wilson
//Nothing for Reaves

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
he was going to cross check him in the face ?

Can you help a brother out with this weeks lotto numbers ?

I never said Wilson was going to crossc heck him in the face. I said Wilson initiated it and started to cross heck reavers first.

You should read my post over again until you understand what was written

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
In what way do these two plays look alike?

Kane's was after the whistle, Bellemare was minding his own business, Kane targeted him and went straight at him, striking him twice...

In the Reaves play it was during play before the whistle, Wilson was actively approaching Reaves with his stick up trying to cross-check Reaves, and #75 wasn't even looking at Wilson... What is Reaves supposed to do? Let Wilson come in and give him a cross-check to the ribs? lol

That's a great advice. Whenever there is a scrum around either goal, if someone gets close to you just crosscheck him in the face because he might do something. I mean, what else is there to do?

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
That's a great advice. Whenever there is a scrum around either goal, if someone gets close to you just crosscheck him in the face because he might do something. I mean, what else is there to do?
Wilson approached Reaves with his stick horizontal and up in the air.....

Brian McDavid

Aug 4, 2017
Oil City Roadhouse
Elbow to the head on the Kuznetsov hit which lead to his hand injury should be a suspension.

If Tom Wilson made that hit we’d have 10 threads on here. Meanwhile refs didnt even see it.
This is accurate.

As to the OP... no. No suspension. Both players engaged, Reaves went a bit higher and rightfully got the minor penalty.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Wilson approached Reaves with his stick horizontal and up in the air.....

His stick was nowhere near that high. Otherwise Reaves couldn't have crosschecked him like that...

Either way you constantly see players come in like that to scrums. It doesn't mean they are coming to take your head off.

That's the definition of Marchand -logic. See someone coming at you with a hit and go down because ''what else was there to do???''.

Reactions: NHLpls

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Wilson comes in with his stick horizontal. How can you say "his stick was nowhere near that high" when I didn't even specify a height in my comment you're quoting? It was near chest-level, ending up in Reaves' rib-cage. Exactly why I said "ribs" in my original comment.

Once again... What exactly do YOU expect Reaves to do? What is the proper way to handle this? Let Wilson come in and cross-check him? Reaves had just hit Orlov, he knows the next guy coming in at him isn't going to play patty-cake.

Kuz

May 11, 2015
Wilson comes in with his stick horizontal. How can you say "his stick was nowhere near that high" when I didn't even specify a height in my comment you're quoting? It was near chest-level, ending up in Reaves' rib-cage. Exactly why I said "ribs" in my original comment.

Once again... What exactly do YOU expect Reaves to do? What is the proper way to handle this? Let Wilson come in and cross-check him? Reaves had just hit Orlov, he knows the next guy coming in at him isn't going to play patty-cake.

Its possible to avoid going for the head and go lower on the crosscheck perhaps?

Reactions: Homerhawk

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Its possible to avoid going for the head and go lower on the crosscheck perhaps?
He could have tried to go a bit lower, sure. But to act as though choir boy Tommy Wilson was skating in to shake Reaves' hand and that Reaves acted in a totally ridiculous way is just silly. Ofc he's going to get his stick up high on the guy who's bringing his stick up high on him....

It's nowhere near suspension worthy. He wasn't even looking squarely at the Wilson.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Reaves probably hurts the Knights NOT being suspended. Let him continue to take stupid penalties.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Glove to the face. No stick.

Wilson in the act of delivering his own crosscheck.

Wilson folds like a cheap suit. Embellishment.

Two minute penalty appropriate.
A punch while holding a stick straight to the chin by Ryan Reaves. I'd say that hurts and most players would go down.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Minor penalty.

No idea why Capitals fans would want Reaves suspended anyway. I much rather see him on the ice than Tomas Tatar.

If he goes off, Carrier will come on, not Tatar (assuming Carrier is game ready)

Homerhawk

Aug 15, 2007
This thread just reiterates that all of us fan bases are exactly alike. Plenty of people criticize Caps fans for defending Wilson's antics, but every team has fans that will defend their own players in the same situations. Defend it all you want, but Reaves clearly popped him in the face his stick. His hands weren't in a defensive position to merely protect himself from Wilson. One player approaching another player does not make it ok to cross check someone in the face after the whistle. Reaves has been cross checking everyone in reach this series.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
In what way do these two plays look alike?

Kane's was after the whistle, Bellemare was minding his own business, Kane targeted him and went straight at him, striking him twice...

In the Reaves play it was during play before the whistle, Wilson was actively approaching Reaves with his stick up trying to cross-check Reaves, and #75 wasn't even looking at Wilson... What is Reaves supposed to do? Let Wilson come in and give him a cross-check to the ribs? lol
In what world was Bellemare "minding his own business"? He got between Kane and Schmidt, who had been crosschecking his teammate (and captain) Pavelski in the back and the ribs for a good 10 seconds before the whistle sounded. Bellemare should have let his teammate deal with it instead of getting in the way of a mad player. It was called appropriately on the ice, but Bellemare wasn't some poor guy who just happened to get randomly attacked.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Yeah, the only way to carry your stick is parallel to the ice and at chest-level....
This is devil's advocate work here:
Is it possible to say that Wilson went in with his hands like that knowing that Reaves would crosscheck him? He saw Reaves crosscheck Carlson from behind two days ago. He just saw Reaves crosscheck Orlov from behind a mere second before. It was likely Reaves would crosscheck him next. It is interesting that Wilson brought his hands up first as everyone has said, but Reaves somehow made contact first. That might suggest that Wilson did not go in with as near the intent/strength for his crosscheck as Reaves did.

I don't think this is similar to what Kane did to Bellemare as that was a defenseless player. 2 minute crosscheck is right. Still a dirty play, but not all dirty plays deserve supplemental discipline.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
This is devil's advocate work here:
Is it possible to say that Wilson went in with his hands like that knowing that Reaves would cross-check him? He saw Reaves cross-check Carlson from behind two days ago. He just saw Reaves crosscheck Orlov from behind a mere second before. It was likely Reaves would crosscheck him next. It is interesting that Wilson brought his hands up first as everyone has said, but Reaves somehow made contact first. That might suggest that Wilson did not go in with as near the intent/strength for his cross-check as Reaves did.

I don't think this is similar to what Kane did to Bellemare as that was a defenseless player. 2 minute crosscheck is right.

Don't get me wrong, The penalty was deserved and I would be perfectly okay with Reaves sitting a game for the crosscheck to the face. But if you don't think Wilson was heading in his direction for the purpose of a confrontation, you need to lay off the kool-aid. If you are afraid someone is going to attack you, why go in at him like an elephant in must?

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
A punch while holding a stick straight to the chin by Ryan Reaves. I'd say that hurts and most players would go down.

I agree with this. He made a crosschecking motion directly to the face. It's moot whether the glove or stick made contact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad