Confirmed with Link: Reaves & 2017 2nd to PIT for 2017 1st & Oskar Sundqvist

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Still can't believe Pittsburgh made this trade. I like Reaves and admire the work he's put into becoming a better player, but this is a no-brainer deal for the Blues IMO.

Agreed especially with Kostin still on the board. Real sleeper pick. Could end up being the steal of this draft.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Agreed especially with Kostin still on the board. Real sleeper pick. Could end up being the steal of this draft.

Yup this could be incredible. His highlight video is 9 mins long and is just making me salivate. His combo of size speed, skill, vision is very reminiscent of a young Rick Nash.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
The only thing I can think is that Pitts wants to be the first real dynasty of the cap era and are addressing a position of need. They knew they were getting the worst end of the deal, but Reaves was the best of the best at what they were looking for.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I'm so happy about both trades. Don't mind the risky kostin pick but preferred nic hague. Still an amazing day that will go down in blues history. I can't wait for next season
Hague is just as big a risk as Kostin, and likely a bigger risk, based on his poor skating. If he doesn't improve it, his lack of mobility will show up a LOT more at The NHL level, with all its great-skating forwards.

He'll have to do what Backes did, and perhaps even more to improve to a decent NHL level. Some players succeed at that. But, a lot more don't. Today's NHL defencemen need to be a lot more mobile than they did 5-7 years ago.

I think picking Kostin was a much better value. I hope I am right.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
The only thing I can think is that Pitts wants to be the first real dynasty of the cap era and are addressing a position of need. They knew they were getting the worst end of the deal, but Reaves was the best of the best at what they were looking for.

This is my take away. They WANTED REAVES and was willing to pay. Listening to Armstrong, you can tell Reaves carries a unique value. Perfect storm for Army. With adding Schenn to Bortuzzo and Edmundson, we're not going to lack toughness.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Hague is just as big a risk as Kostin, and likely a bigger risk, based on his poor skating. If he doesn't improve it, his lack of mobility will show up a LOT more at The NHL level, with all its great-skating forwards.

He'll have to do what Backes did, and perhaps even more to improve to a decent NHL level. Some players succeed at that. But, a lot more don't. Today's NHL defencemen need to be a lot more mobile than they did 5-7 years ago.

I think picking Kostin was a much better value. I hope I am right.

He probably is, after re-watching himon video i'm in love with the kostin pick.

I think you should check out hague again, i know he's huge but his footspeed doesn't seem to be that bad, he luvs to read the play and activate into the rush he's not slow or stiff like like eemeli rasanen or some of the other bigger guys. I think hague's biggest "scare" is his ability to read plays the same way at the next level at NHL speed. Moreso thinking the game intangibly than his actual physical traits.

I also think hague can be the real deal personally, which is why i want him (hoping we trade up) and the thought of hague, eddy and parayko at 6'4,6'5 and 6'6 would be insane lol

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
This is my take away. They WANTED REAVES and was willing to pay. Listening to Armstrong, you can tell Reaves carries a unique value. Perfect storm for Army. With adding Schenn to Bortuzzo and Edmundson, we're not going to lack toughness.

Yes, this may now be a niche market but it is a market nonetheless, and few others can really offer a Reaves comparable. This talk about Sesito and stuff? Please. Reaves has shown he can bottle it up and avoid doing blatantly stupid stuff, and unleash the fury only when needed.

Now, I'm sure coming over to a team with Crosby and Malkin on a trade, he might be tempted to prove himself and cross some lines. We'll see. I'm just saying based off the info we have now, Reaves doesn't have many comparables, which explains why he drove such a nice return.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I gotta be honest. If Kostin wasn't still available, I don't think Army agrees to this trade.

I doubt that.

I think we were comfortable moving 2 firsts for Schenn knowing that we had this first coming. Plus, we made this trade before Nashville picked, although it was unlikely that they would have taken a Russian.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I doubt that.

I think we were comfortable moving 2 firsts for Schenn knowing that we had this first coming. Plus, we made this trade before Nashville picked, although it was unlikely that they would have taken a Russian.

Had they taken Kostin, the Blues probably take Tolvanen and we are all still super happy.

nicholas89alex

Nov 16, 2012
I know Its my fault for reading them but the Facebook comments about this trade make me want to slam my head in a door. People actually saying this is the worst move the blues have ever made.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I know Its my fault for reading them but the Facebook comments about this trade make me want to slam my head in a door. People actually saying this is the worst move the blues have ever made.

FB is 90% extremely casual fans. Very low hockey IQ

Splatter

Sep 13, 2010
St. Louis

Just shows you how beloved Reaves was. Meanwhile, I think Lehtera's unpopularity transcended all corners of the fanbase, casual or otherwise.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I love this trade more every minute.

Thinking about it now, aside from Reaves blowing a kiss to the Stars bench, I can't think of a single other thing he did in the playoffs his entire tenure here. He was a non-factor in all honesty. 1 point in 36 games too BTW...

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
I love this trade more every minute.

Thinking about it now, aside from Reaves blowing a kiss to the Stars bench, I can't think of a single other thing he did in the playoffs his entire tenure here. He was a non-factor in all honesty. 1 point in 36 games too BTW...

refs screwed him over pretty good g4 vs preds

other than that....yeah pretty nonexistent. he only has 1 point and that came vs the wild in 2015 in that g4 blowout

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas

I really don't understand why any of you look at that stuff at all. And why bother posting about it here? I should post about what my dogs threw up, it's about as relevant.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
refs screwed him over pretty good g4 vs preds

other than that....yeah pretty nonexistent. he only has 1 point and that came vs the wild in 2015 in that g4 blowout
And last year he was scratched a lot against the fast, skilled teams we were playing.

Even when things got heated, he was rarely ever involved. 2014 vs Chicago he didn't do anything after the Keith/Seabrook ****. It was Ott who leveled Keith into the boards. 2012 we had Polak and Sobotka involved in that brawl with the Sharks. And when King injured Pietrangelo, nothing happened there either.

I don't really see Pittsburgh re-signing him after this year. That type of player is on the way out. I think the Blues will be just fine without an enforcer. You just need physical players who can play meaningful minutes, which they should have.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
And last year he was scratched a lot against the fast, skilled teams we were playing.

Even when things got heated, he was rarely ever involved. 2014 vs Chicago he didn't do anything after the Keith/Seabrook ****. It was Ott who leveled Keith into the boards. 2012 we had Polak and Sobotka involved in that brawl with the Sharks. And when King injured Pietrangelo, nothing happened there either.

I don't really see Pittsburgh re-signing him after this year. That type of player is on the way out. I think the Blues will be just fine without an enforcer. You just need physical players who can play meaningful minutes, which they should have.

EXACTLY, with schenn, eddy, parayko, bortuzzo, fabbri, sobotka wewill play with plenty of sandpaper still.

Splatter

Sep 13, 2010
St. Louis
Hopefully Reaves makes his way back to St. Louis some day. He'd be a perfect local media guy here on the TV or radio after his career is over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad