Confirmed with Link: Reaves & 2017 2nd to PIT for 2017 1st & Oskar Sundqvist

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
After all these years Cody Beach will finally get his chance

lmfaoooooooo

We don't need a "reaves" replacement because well, we're not gonna find another reaves. However, we can gain speed, maybe a little more offense and good d-zone play from a guy like sundqvist filling in reaves spot.

Also, Sundqvist low key put up 46 pts in the AHL last year fwiw

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Sad to see him go. But I get the business reasons. Frustrating as hell reading the Pens boards and the guys there bashing Reaves for his stats. We all know Reaves is not on ice to pad his stats, but to enable the superstars to elevate theirs. He's also a good forechecker and a team leader. Hate to see him go. Hate to see a guy get disrespected from clueless fans on the other did. I hope he wins them over.

Good to see Sid has reached out. Pens fans should realize that Sid WANTS THIS. He's tired of getting knocked around. Reaves is perfect for them.

Lustaf

Nov 26, 2008
Victoria, BC
Sad to see him go. But I get the business reasons. Frustrating as hell reading the Pens boards and the guys there bashing Reaves for his stats. We all know Reaves is not on ice to pad his stats, but to enable the superstars to elevate theirs. He's also a good forechecker and a team leader. Hate to see him go. Hate to see a guy get disrespected from clueless fans on the other did. I hope he wins them over.

Good to see Sid has reached out. Pens fans should realize that Sid WANTS THIS. He's tired of getting knocked around. Reaves is perfect for them.

It's the price we paid to acquire him that has the fans in an uproar. In what world is it ok to trade a 1st round pick for a 4th line player? To top it off we threw in a prospect.

It's clear JR identified the man he wanted and when he does that he is like a dog on a bone doing everything he can to get them and it can result in over payments like this one.

The other side of it is that the Penguins have won 2 straight cups getting away from the after the whistle stuff and playing a high tempo speed game. Some of the fan base views bringing in Reaves as a sign they are going back to the crap that Shero tried to do for years.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
It's the price we paid to acquire him that has the fans in an uproar. In what world is it ok to trade a 1st round pick for a 4th line player? To top it off we threw in a prospect.

It's clear JR identified the man he wanted and when he does that he is like a dog on a bone doing everything he can to get them and it can result in over payments like this one.

The other side of it is that the Penguins have won 2 straight cups getting away from the after the whistle stuff and playing a high tempo speed game. Some of the fan base views bringing in Reaves as a sign they are going back to the crap that Shero tried to do for years.

You need to understand Reaves. He's absolutely capable of skating off if thats whats required. As for an uptemo game, he can skate very well. High price to pay but he's not a knuckle dragging goon as it seems some fans think

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
You need to understand Reaves. He's absolutely capable of skating off if thats whats required. As for an uptemo game, he can skate very well. High price to pay but he's not a knuckle dragging goon as it seems some fans think

Yeah, 6 fights this season. 4 the year before.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China

A lot of us do know - and are pretty thrilled with adding Reaves.
Even if it is pretty obvious that we overpaid by any standard asset management measure.

Splatter

Sep 13, 2010
St. Louis

Look at this way... A year ago this is moving down from a high second rounder for a low second rounder.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Greetings, I hope Sundqvist can stick as an everyday NHLer with you guys and that Kostin works out.

Quick question, does or can Reaves play either side or is he solely a RW?

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Greetings, I hope Sundqvist can stick as an everyday NHLer with you guys and that Kostin works out.

Quick question, does or can Reaves play either side or is he solely a RW?

As far as I can remember he's always been on the right side.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I'm very excited to watch reaves as a penguin when he plays against philly. (especially after they gave us Schenn).

That being said, my god i'm ecstatic about that trade for us. Klim Shady has a chance to be special.

Kasparov

May 29, 2013
I can understand the frustration from the Pens board. Unless you are watching Reavo night in and night out, is abysmal stats would be frustrating for anyone to see, but maybe they don't actually play hockey and realize what a psychological mind **** someone like Reaves has on the opposing team.

You're constantly looking over your shoulder and making moves quicker than you need to in order to get the puck off your stick so he doesn't take your head off. I legitimately believe that our 4th line got into the Bruce's head during the Min series. They couldn't contain them and they really were an X factor in that seires, however small of one it may have been.

Kasparov

May 29, 2013
A lot of us do know - and are pretty thrilled with adding Reaves.
Even if it is pretty obvious that we overpaid by any standard asset management measure.

You got the best of the best here in reaves. I mentioned it briefly in my last post, but I think his performance in the playoffs helped to raise his price a bit. With a guy like this, making a million a season, you're paying for intangibles. He was highly valued as a player in the organization and I knew that a team was going to have to overpay if they wanted him.

It could be worse though. Nashville sent a legit 1st for Paul Gaustad a few years ago.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Sundqvist is a RFA. The only thing the Blues have right now are some negotiating rights.

There's no real danger he's not going to sign with the Blues. But he will be a waiver risk, so he really needs to stick on the roster or this isn't really adding any value to the deal. He's kind of in Rattie-land this season.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes

Reaves was targeted. Rutherford didn't want a 4th liner or an enforcer, he wanted Reaves because he might be the only guy in the league who can fill the enforcer role while bringing something to the table elsewhere in the rink. The price was high, but that's what happens when you want one guy and only him.

phxblue

Dec 17, 2015
Reaves was targeted. Rutherford didn't want a 4th liner or an enforcer, he wanted Reaves because he might be the only guy in the league who can fill the enforcer role while bringing something to the table elsewhere in the rink. The price was high, but that's what happens when you want one guy and only him.

Yep, theres only one guy in the league that I am aware of that has the qualities Reaves has:
1. One of, if not the, best fighter in the league
2. Punishing forechecker
3. Good skater for a 4th liner
4. Defensively responsible
5. Ok hands, not a scorer, but will not be a liability on the ice.

He's probably better at the other aspects of the game than any other "enforcer" in the league, and just as good if not better of a fighter as anyone else in the league.

Because of these, he's one of the rare players that you can put into your lineup to play the tough guy role that isn't going to create a weakness for the team while he is on the ice.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
I think everyone on this forum will be glad to have him back next season, should the Penns be unhappy with him. Somehow I think he changes all of their minds though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad