Confirmed with Link: Reaves & 2017 2nd to PIT for 2017 1st & Oskar Sundqvist

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Ryan Reaves might finally get the respect he deserves playing in Pittsburgh.

I'm thrilled about adding Kostin, but Ryan Reaves was tremendous for this team

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Ryan Reaves might finally get the respect he deserves playing in Pittsburgh.

I'm thrilled about adding Kostin, but Ryan Reaves was tremendous for this team

Agreed. He deserves all the respect in the world. One of the very few of his ilk left in the league, and one of the absolute best. As far as role players go, you won't get any better than Reaves. Absolute class act, I hope his time in Pittsburgh shows the rest of the world what a good man he is. We will miss him here terribly, but his sacrifice laid the groundwork for the future of the franchise.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Interesting. A Jaskin-Brodziak-Sundqvist 4th line?

I liked Reaves' presence but teams are dumping everyone that's in his class so he had no one to fight. That's still a big, heavy line as they're all around 6'2'' 215.

Don't know much about Sunny but I'm excited to see how we look up front. Seems to be an improvement so far for sure.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Me, smart: Reaves could return a 1st round pick in real life

You, not smart: Reaves isn't even worth protecting in the expansion draft

[relax people, it's just a joke structure]

BADoglick

Jun 12, 2012
Pens fan. I think Sundqvist is overrated by our fans because of the lack of centers in our system. Almost like how we viewed Eric Tangradi or Luca Caputi way more than they were worth simply because every other prospect that we had at that position sucked that much more. But who knows, he could be a solid two way center

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Pens board 50/50 on the Reaves deal.

Most of them have no clue. I will miss Reaves. Great teammate. Unique skill that not many have.

https://www.nhl.com/blues/video/zero-to-sixty-reaves-and-hutton/t-277437432/c-46242603
It's a horrendous trade for them.

Reaves is a UFA in one year and will be 31 years old at that time, almost 32. It is a very fair question to ask that in one year, will Ryan Reaves be able to find an NHL contract or we will he out of the league? Fewer teams have heavyweights these days so his career probably won't be that much longer.

I love the guy but giving up a late 1st and prospect for him is something no team should ever have done. That's really bad.

They had Tom Sestito if they really want "protection". In his last full season in Vancouver, he had 9 points in 77 games. Trading assets to get Ryan Reaves' career-high 13 points in 80 games is 100% terrible no matter how you slice it. I wish I could try to cheer up the Penguins fans but they should be mad at this deal, no matter how much Ryan Reaves has "improved" he still has very limited skill and isn't anywhere near worth what was just paid.

Especially when you just won 2 Stanley Cups. I agree they could use more toughness but it clearly wasn't THAT big of a need.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Food for thought: Reaves returned essentially the same package as Shattenkirk

lol
It 100% makes no sense. The trade market for Reaves was probably better than the market for Perron, and likely Berglund too.

Pretty shocking. At least we capitalized on it.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
I'll still miss the guy. Loved the Zero to Sixty videos. Loved his toughness. Loved his leadership.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
only cause 22 refused to go to TB.

gonna be epic to watch as nobody wants to overpay on him anymore in the coming weeks.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Shattenkirk still has enough teams interested. Rangers, Devils and Sabres for sure. Also probably the Bruins, Lightning and Stars will have interest.

He'll get paid easily.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
We definitely got the better end of that deal. I will say that Reaves recognized two seasons ago that his "role" was on the way out and he made changes to convert to the type of player that would have value in the league. The only unfortunate thing is that he still has that reputation, but it's not like the Penguins got nothing out of the deal. He will certainly be a positive for them in the locker room. I can only guess that Penguins staff felt they needed to address an area where they felt they were getting exploited. There isn't a person in the league that is better at what Reaves does.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Shattenkirk still has enough teams interested. Rangers, Devils and Sabres for sure. Also probably the Bruins, Lightning and Stars will have interest.

He'll get paid easily.

I can't help but dislike him if he went to TB....irrational, yes, but Id be ticked

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I can't help but dislike him if he went to TB....irrational, yes, but Id be ticked
Me too. I don't think it'll happen anyways. One of those Northeast teams will throw huge money at him and it's close to home for him. I don't think there's any chance he passes that up.

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
It's a horrendous trade for them.

Reaves is a UFA in one year and will be 31 years old at that time, almost 32. It is a very fair question to ask that in one year, will Ryan Reaves be able to find an NHL contract or we will he out of the league? Fewer teams have heavyweights these days so his career probably won't be that much longer.

I love the guy but giving up a late 1st and prospect for him is something no team should ever have done. That's really bad.

They had Tom Sestito if they really want "protection". In his last full season in Vancouver, he had 9 points in 77 games. Trading assets to get Ryan Reaves' career-high 13 points in 80 games is 100% terrible no matter how you slice it. I wish I could try to cheer up the Penguins fans but they should be mad at this deal, no matter how much Ryan Reaves has "improved" he still has very limited skill and isn't anywhere near worth what was just paid.

Especially when you just won 2 Stanley Cups. I agree they could use more toughness but it clearly wasn't THAT big of a need.

This guy has the idea.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
Reaves has worked hard to adapt and be a real hockey player. He deserves respect that he can step up and be the sheriff if you need it, but be a solid 4th liner 90% of the time when you don't. He's not Cam, and he's not D.J. King.

He helped get us into the 1st round for a good prospect, and got us a decent 23 yr old 4th liner/maybe a 3rd liner if you catch a break. He did a hell of a job for this organization. The scarcity of his style worked to our benefit tonight. It's still in demand.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Still can't believe Pittsburgh made this trade. I like Reaves and admire the work he's put into becoming a better player, but this is a no-brainer deal for the Blues IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad