Confirmed with Link: Reaves & 2017 2nd to PIT for 2017 1st & Oskar Sundqvist

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
You got the best of the best here in reaves. I mentioned it briefly in my last post, but I think his performance in the playoffs helped to raise his price a bit. With a guy like this, making a million a season, you're paying for intangibles. He was highly valued as a player in the organization and I knew that a team was going to have to overpay if they wanted him.

It could be worse though. Nashville sent a legit 1st for Paul Gaustad a few years ago.
He did absolutely nothing in the playoffs so that's not true at all.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
He did absolutely nothing in the playoffs so that's not true at all.

Exactly. In fact it hurt us in a way, due to the penalty he got called on in game 3 vs Preds(though ********) just because of who he is. I don't think he will be used heavily by Pittsburgh come playoff time. I see it more as a regular season deterrent against folks that wanna take a run at Sid and Geno.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I really just thought Sunny was a throw in. I thought getting Kostin was the real prize. But Sunny is going to be/already is the best player in this deal.
If Kostin turns out to be the 20+ goals per year power forward many people think he can become, that trade will become one of the best steals in Blues' history. But, even with just Sundqvist, it's a very lopsided deal.

Last edited:

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
If Kostin turns out to be the 20+ per year power forward many people think he can become, that trade will become one of the best steals in Blues' history. But, even with just Sundqvist, it's a very lopsided deal.
Eh, I don't know that I'd even call it lopsided yet. For a while, we clearly missed the on-ice and off-ice presence Reaves brought to the team and he earned a ton of respect from teammates in Pittsburgh - to the point that Pens players were upset he got dealt to Vegas and after the playoff exit some said that took something off the team that they thought they needed. He filled a spot on the 4th line for us, filled it beautifully, and we struggled to find anything close to that until this season when we put together that line with a different look and different function.

Sundqvist is having a career year, and I'm glad he's putting up numbers - because I'm positive I'm not alone in thinking "this guy is going to do nothing in the NHL worth keeping him around for." But we've all seen more than enough trades that looked fantastic after one year, that turned out later on to be meh. Let's see how things continue to play out before we call it lopsided.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
The prospect the Penguins drafted with the 2nd round pick we sent them, Zachary Lauzon, missed all of 2018-2019 as he continues to deal with post concussion symptoms.

Poor kid. He got the initial concussion in April 2017 and has been dealing with it ever since.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
You call this a "career year" for Sundqvist, as if he's playing over his head. Do you really think he's been lucky, and he is going to regress? He has decent skating speed, has reasonably soft hands, has decent offensive sense. He has learned to play defence. He is already a high-quality 3rd liner, who can fill in on The 2nd Line. He can play well on The PK, and can fill in on The 2nd PP unit. I don't think he's a fluke. He never before had played full time (major minutes) on the same line in The NHL for long enough periods to have his game all come together. This year, he HAS had that time to become comfortable, and have all his skills and what he has learned through experience have his game come together, and have him start to click with his linemates. Reaves is a valuable player, but he can't play on the PK as effectively as Sundqvist, and can't be counted on to contribute to the offence nearly as much. And I would say that he can't play defence as well as Sunny. Reaves brings the "enforcer" capability, ALONG with ability to play 2-way hockey. And he can energise his teammates. that's a great quality to add to a team. But Sundqvist brings more in several different areas. Plus, a mid-late 1st Rounder is better than a 2nd. it isn't the TRADE's fault if the choice made with the 1st Rounder becomes a "bust", or if Sundqvist gets hurt early in his career, and becomes ineffective or is forced to retire after a couple years.Yes, it's best to assess a trade after 5 years. But, I'd say 2 solid seasons from Sundqvist the way he plays now would be enough to call the trade lopsided. Reaves is no youngster anymore. Sundqvist should be able to help The Blues for several more years.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
If Kostin turns out to be the 20+ per year power forward many people think he can become, that trade will become one of the best steals in Blues' history. But, even with just Sundqvist, it's a very lopsided deal.

You can't call it lopsided yet because Sunny D still needs to match or progress from this years performance. He has been a pleasant surprise to say the least. But we can't all of a sudden dismiss the impact player Ryan Reaves was and still is. This current Blues team will be challenged physically each and every round. Can this team stay healthy thru it? Everyone applauds the Blues take the punch and keep playing approach but how much can these guys take game in and game out each round? We can't win the Stanley Cup if we can't stay healthy.

Reactions: Kreegz2

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
I agree with Robb. I don't see anything in Sundqvist's game that would suggest this is a career year for him. If he regresses slightly next year, I'd still be happy with having him. He's the ideal 3rd/4th liner, who is playing like and has the potential to continue to be a 2nd liner.

Also it's nice to have that guy that's won a Cup on your team. ;)

BuLLeT1291

Dec 16, 2010
So PIT has until the end of the day today to sign Lauzon or they lose his rights. If that is in fact what happens then the trade would officially be ‘17 1st (Kostin) and Sundqvist for 8 months of Ryan Reaves.

That is absolutely epic Army.

Reactions: STLomacneko

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
So PIT has until the end of the day today to sign Lauzon or they lose his rights. If that is in fact what happens then the trade would officially be ‘17 1st (Kostin) and Sundqvist for 8 months of Ryan Reaves.

The final dagger would be signing Lauzon as a free agent.

Game.

Set.

Match.

**BOOM**

Reactions: CaliBlues710

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia

Go all the way down that trade tree and it gets even worse for the pens. They traded picks and Ian Cole along with Reaves to acquire Brassard + spare parts and then flipped Brassard plus Sheehan plus picks to FLA for Bjug and McCann.

Reactions: CaliBlues710

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I agree with Robb. I don't see anything in Sundqvist's game that would suggest this is a career year for him. If he regresses slightly next year, I'd still be happy with having him. He's the ideal 3rd/4th liner, who is playing like and has the potential to continue to be a 2nd liner.

Also it's nice to have that guy that's won a Cup on your team. ;)
Yeah, that's why we're working on getting a full team of them. ;)

As far as Sundqvist goes, I doubt he'll maintain a 12%+ shooting percentage year after year. It's not stupid high like Barbashev's, but it's still probably above the level of consistently repeatable for someone with his toolbox and role.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I'm fine if Sundqvist produce level of Steen, but is moster PK'er and improve his faceoff game and can draw penalties like crazy.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
yeah sunny is a beaut. delicious crow
Yeps! It looks to me like Army has become a better player personnel manager over all, than he was at the end of his Dallas run. He still made some mistakes while with The Blues ((Shattenkirk) partly Shatty's giving The Blues the shaft), and not getting enough for Oshie (or believing that it was really necessary that Oshie be moved). But, overall, he's been much better than going for broke in Dallas, and ruining that teams near future.

brokeu91

Jul 4, 2017
Rhode Island
Who would have thought that Sunny D might end up being the best player in this entire deal? Pittsburgh fans have to feel a little annoyed that he was essentially a throw in and ended up such an important piece in a Stanley Cup team.

Reactions: STLomacneko

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Yeah. I don’t go down the trade tree too much. You can’t control injuries.

But Sunny has been great and dramatically changed his game to be physical. He sure wasn’t throwing his body around when he first came to the Blues. It shows that he has a do anything mentality for the team.

He is a great grab. I very happy to say I totally misjudged him, I thought he would be waiver fodder depth that adds very little to the team. Boy was I wrong

blues hillbilly

Nov 28, 2018
Other than a little energy I saw nothing out of Sunny last year.

He proved me wrong.

He worked his ass off and improved across the board and now I love the guy. If he continues his improvements the kid could have a really good career.

It's his for the making.

Reactions: brokeu91

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
How many fights occurred in this year's playoffs? I looked it up recently, and it seems there were three. In the entire NHL.

Fighting is all but gone from the game of hockey. Ryan Reaves was good at it, but he's irrelevant now. And Sundqvist was a very important player in this year's championship run.

Did we just luck-out in the trade, or did someone in the organization spot Sundqvist as a diamond in the rough?

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
How many fights occurred in this year's playoffs? I looked it up recently, and it seems there were three. In the entire NHL.

Fighting is all but gone from the game of hockey. Ryan Reaves was good at it, but he's irrelevant now. And Sundqvist was a very important player in this year's championship run.

Did we just luck-out in the trade, or did someone in the organization spot Sundqvist as a diamond in the rough?
Seems to be a real focus in trades that in addition to picks we want a somewhat under-the-radar prospect we really like. Sunny, Sanford, Foley (who has unfortunately had injury problems), Copley (who we dealt back in subsequent trade) all seemed almost like throw-ins at time but now look like real value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad