Reason for Jets success this season so far?

Reason for Jets success this season so far?

• Good coaching?

• Good forwards?

• Good goalie?

• Combination of all three.

Results are only viewable after voting.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I think Maurice and the coaching staff deserve credit first and foremost. Maurice has had the Jets firing out of the gate, realizing the importance to pick up points early in the race. He's also made changes to the team's structures, with the defense less aggressive, and the forwards supporting the defense much better. He's also moved away from locking himself into line combinations that were ineffective. Moving Wheeler into the middle was huge, also reuniting Lowry-Copp. Our video scouting has been great, as they seem to have dissected weaknesses in other teams, when moving the puck.

Hellebuyck has won games for the Jets that they maybe should not have won. But I also think the defense has really battled well to limit second chances, and odd man rushes which were a common tradeoff of running and gunning have been limited.

Getting the PK out of the dumps was a big turnaround from early in the season, and I think Sbisa brought a veteran presence that this inexperienced defense needed. Keeping penalties down has also been a priority, and a better skating defesne has enabled that.

Chemistry is huge, and it is growing.

The team seams to be having more fun this year, and definitely battling for one another. I don't really know how polarizing of a figure Buff was. Trouba also seemed kind of polarizing.

I noticed certain dynamics too that may have helped. Morrissey taking the A, may be a step in more positive leadership. Laine playing with Scheifele has helped. Noticed that he is no longer rooming with Ehlers, my guess is that Luoto took his spot. Does Gus room with Ehlers on the road? Seems like Ehlers could teach the kid about breaking into the NHL at 19. Roslovic has a better attitude, and maybe getting away from Lemieux helped.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Jets should be a playoff team.

But they shoudln't be a top 3 team anymore.

This team has more skills than many teams.
And there are 2 guys on elite level.
Plus Hellybuyck.

1)
The split of 55 and 26. Thats one.
Everybody now, ok coach its not all about them anymore.

2)
The decimated defense is only a lost of Trouba.
Myers and Chairot where replaced.
Buff, lets say most team goes to a key injuries with their top dman throughtout the year.

3)
Hellybuyck

4) i dont like it but 2 injuries to Little forced Maurice to make 2 major line changed.
First Schiefele
2nd was this year on Wheeler.

5) this team has Schiefele Wheeler Laine Connor Ehlers Hellybuyck. These guys are the better players in the league.

6) coach understanding that he has a lot of really good players, not do or die with 55 and 26.

This team in no way a non playoff team this year.
Last year top 3 team with that line up.
This year they should make the playoff.

I agree, you saved me typing all that.

I would add that some players took a leap in ability this year as well. Laine is a much better all around player, Ehlers has take a huge leap in his vision to go with his speed, Roslovic has taken his opportunity and run with it and Wheeler has shown that he is a very good 2c for his linemates.

The progression of those 4 have been a very big difference, to go along with everything else you said.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
We were winning one goal games and barely hanging on earlier, but I think we look far better in the past few games. It seems like the team is playing like a team and supporting the D better and looking to score on the rush more.

I think Maurice is actually playing to the strengths and weaknesses of the roster he has.

Weak D? -> Have the forwards play better support.
Fast talented forwards? -> Let them attack on a rush.
Awesome goaltending? -> Just be thankful :)

Many of us here were advocating a quicker attack off the rush, with the roster we have, and it seems that Maurice thinks they are ready for that. We are very good that way, as evidenced last night alone with breakaways and odd man rushes.

Not only are we successful, but we are fun to watch.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Ian Tullock had an interesting article in the Athletic yesterday “the top 10 pleasant surprises of 2019-20”

At #4 was Connor Hellebuyck. Ian outlines a good case for why the team is where it is because we have the hottest goalie in the league. We are not paying Hellebuyck Price or Bob money which is more in line with his performance this season. Right now we have to bank points while the talented but insanely hot goalie is rolling.

With my qualifier that all things seem better behind a .930 goalie I will also say that:

I am thrilled with how things are going.

Mo takes the blame when the team is struggling so he has to get some credit here.

Pionk has been a really pleasant surprise.

Ehlers, Roslovic, Laine, and Wheeler at centre are all having very nice seasons to date.

Our team outside of the goaltending is trending in the right direction.

And GJG

WiscoJet

May 3, 2016
Goaltending is why we are where we are right now.

To take us on a run. Connor-Scheifele-Laine has to start racking up games like last night. That is the best I have seen Scheifele look offensively in A LONG time.

Reactions: Howard Chuck

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Load management for our goalies.

Let the good one manage the load! :laugh:

Reactions: Jets 31

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
I think Maurice and the coaching staff deserve credit first and foremost. Maurice has had the Jets firing out of the gate, realizing the importance to pick up points early in the race. He's also made changes to the team's structures, with the defense less aggressive, and the forwards supporting the defense much better. He's also moved away from locking himself into line combinations that were ineffective. Moving Wheeler into the middle was huge, also reuniting Lowry-Copp. Our video scouting has been great, as they seem to have dissected weaknesses in other teams, when moving the puck.

Hellebuyck has won games for the Jets that they maybe should not have won. But I also think the defense has really battled well to limit second chances, and odd man rushes which were a common tradeoff of running and gunning have been limited.

Getting the PK out of the dumps was a big turnaround from early in the season, and I think Sbisa brought a veteran presence that this inexperienced defense needed. Keeping penalties down has also been a priority, and a better skating defesne has enabled that.

Chemistry is huge, and it is growing.

The team seams to be having more fun this year, and definitely battling for one another. I don't really know how polarizing of a figure Buff was. Trouba also seemed kind of polarizing.

I noticed certain dynamics too that may have helped. Morrissey taking the A, may be a step in more positive leadership. Laine playing with Scheifele has helped. Noticed that he is no longer rooming with Ehlers, my guess is that Luoto took his spot. Does Gus room with Ehlers on the road? Seems like Ehlers could teach the kid about breaking into the NHL at 19. Roslovic has a better attitude, and maybe getting away from Lemieux helped.

The real reason is hellybuck...take him out of the equation and jets are what...maybe at best .500

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
Anyone that doesn't think Maurice has a part in this just has hate blinders on . I will also say Trouba is a good defenseman but he has way too many brain farts during games and Pionk doesn't . Myers and Charoit had their moments of good play but more bad than good plus 8 million a season for Trouba , 6 million for Myers and 4 million for Charoit is money NOT well spent .

what about the people in the media and the hockey analysts who all agree it is hellybuck alone for the reason the jets are in the position they are now.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Reemergence of Wheeler. All our young forwards are better.
Moving Roslo has taken s guy who didn’t contribute much to a regular contributor.
Helly
Pionk

Reactions: Jets 31

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Anyone that doesn't think Maurice has a part in this just has hate blinders on . I will also say Trouba is a good defenseman but he has way too many brain farts during games and Pionk doesn't . Myers and Charoit had their moments of good play but more bad than good plus 8 million a season for Trouba , 6 million for Myers and 4 million for Charoit is money NOT well spent .
Actually Chiarot is playing very good averaging 30 mins last 2 games and is getting lots of praise from the media. He deserves that $4 million ... so far.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Saying nonsense like that doesn't it make it true. All you've done is demonstrate you are the one with blinders on. Irony, what is it.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Like Boston or Arizona? Yes, it would.

The Jets have .918 goaltending.

yeah. I know. Helly, our starter, is at .934. He's having a Vezina year. Hey, if you think this team is performing well and has a shot even if Helly drops off, great. I mean obviously I hope it doesn't come to that. I'm perfectly happy if the team gets in and has a great run to a SC victory even if it's ALL on Helly's back. But there's a lot of underlying numbers pointing to the reality that good goaltending is masking some big problems in other areas. Now like I said already, the last few games it looks like maybe other areas are starting to improve and that's great. If we can continue to get the goalie work, as well as improving some of the other areas we'll be in good shape...

Reactions: WiscoJet

WiscoJet

May 3, 2016
Let's be real though, we looked like a team that was going to have a top 8-10 pick the first month of the season. Goaltending was superb that made us a bubble team.

Once this team reunited Copp with Lowry and split apart Wheeler from Scheifele and put him at 2C we have been better than top 8-10 pick team. At least Wheeler's line has controlled play in November. In November we probably played like a bubble team, but again goaltending pushed us from bubble team to playoff picture.

Which says a lot with this D Corps. Sometimes I feel like we forget how undermanned we are back there.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
It obviously starts with Hellebuyck. That’s a given otherwise we look like the Blues did before Binnington.

But I think the coaching staff has done a good job in getting these guys all on the same page. We are playing for each other and as a team and I’m sure that goes past just the coaching staff to other guys either behind the scenes or in the locker room. I am thrilled they look like a good group of guys that plays for the guy next to them.

This is fun.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Good players. That option wasn't there by itself. I won't give Maurice any credit, this success is despite Maurice, and it basically started when injuries forced his hand.

Also there should be an option of Nikolai Ehlers's shot. As awful as the injury to Little was, it changed the course of the season by forcing Maurice to do what he for some reason could not do otherwise. After 55& 26 were separated, both players have been better on their own with their new linemates, most of us knew this for years, Paul was clueless. Scheifele is again looking like he did last time with Laine, and Jets finally have a dominant 1st line that's been missing mostly since half way through 2016-2017 season.

Jets have had cup contender roster for a few seasons, but the utilization has been so bad that they never reached their potential. This season can also be ruined by Maurice after Little comes back, but hopefully THIS time he doesn't have any public defenders and if he breaks the best working lines, he should be ran out of town forever. Coach Sabotage is best used if he just does media, nothing else.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Good players. That option wasn't there by itself. I won't give Maurice any credit, this success is despite Maurice, and it basically started when injuries forced his hand.

Also there should be an option of Nikolai Ehlers's shot. As awful as the injury to Little was, it changed the course of the season by forcing Maurice to do what he for some reason could not do otherwise. After 55& 26 were separated, both players have been better on their own with their new linemates, most of us knew this for years, Paul was clueless. Scheifele is again looking like he did last time with Laine, and Jets finally have a dominant 1st line that's been missing mostly since half way through 2016-2017 season.

Jets have had cup contender roster for a few seasons, but the utilization has been so bad that they never reached their potential. This season can also be ruined by Maurice after Little comes back, but hopefully THIS time he doesn't have any public defenders and if he breaks the best working lines, he should be ran out of town forever. Coach Sabotage is best used if he just does media, nothing else.

Talk about doubling down. Yikes. :help:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Actually Chiarot is playing very good averaging 30 mins last 2 games and is getting lots of praise from the media. He deserves that $4 million ... so far.
Ya i was meaning keeping all 3 , i would have liked to keep Charoit but we didn't have the cap space .

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Saying nonsense like that doesn't it make it true. All you've done is demonstrate you are the one with blinders on. Irony, what is it.
I don't think my comment was nonsense but you don't seem to agree with anything i post anyway . You don't like Maurice , i get it .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad