Reason for Jets success this season so far?

Reason for Jets success this season so far?

• Good coaching?

• Good forwards?

• Good goalie?

• Combination of all three.

Results are only viewable after voting.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
With the decimation of the Jets D since last season the Jets should not be a PO team. Yet they are fighting for one of the top spots in the western conference.

Why?
How?

Maurice?
Great forwards?
Helle?
Combination of all three?

Reactions: Jets 31

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Anyone that doesn't think Maurice has a part in this just has hate blinders on . I will also say Trouba is a good defenseman but he has way too many brain farts during games and Pionk doesn't . Myers and Charoit had their moments of good play but more bad than good plus 8 million a season for Trouba , 6 million for Myers and 4 million for Charoit is money NOT well spent .

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Pionk is better than people thought, Sbisa was a decent freebie, Laine's moving his feet and Helle has been successful.

Also, no reason to believe we can't screw this up, given the way last season panned out.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Jets should be a playoff team.

But they shoudln't be a top 3 team anymore.

This team has more skills than many teams.
And there are 2 guys on elite level.
Plus Hellybuyck.

1)
The split of 55 and 26. Thats one.
Everybody now, ok coach its not all about them anymore.

2)
The decimated defense is only a lost of Trouba.
Myers and Chairot where replaced.
Buff, lets say most team goes to a key injuries with their top dman throughtout the year.

3)
Hellybuyck

4) i dont like it but 2 injuries to Little forced Maurice to make 2 major line changed.
First Schiefele
2nd was this year on Wheeler.

5) this team has Schiefele Wheeler Laine Connor Ehlers Hellybuyck. These guys are the better players in the league.

6) coach understanding that he has a lot of really good players, not do or die with 55 and 26.

This team in no way a non playoff team this year.
Last year top 3 team with that line up.
This year they should make the playoff.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Pionk is better than people thought, Sbisa was a decent freebie, Laine's moving his feet and Helle has been successful.

Also, no reason to believe we can't screw this up, given the way last season panned out.
I'd take ending up in 2nd place again. I think we are seeing pretty much the same team as last season minus some of the off ice distractions and some me first personalities. Now we are back to being a cohesive group that shows up to battle every night. Both the coach and players get credit for that.

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,

I certainly get what you’re saying, but something seems different with this squad ever since the Little injury and the splitting up of 26 and 55. I like the way they are playing...lots.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I certainly get what you’re saying, but something seems different with this squad ever since the Little injury and the splitting up of 26 and 55. I like the way they are playing...lots.
I think this team turned around way before the splitting up of Scheifele and Wheeler. Maurice has got them back to being a team where each guy steps up and does his job within a system. This has got everyone focused including Helly.

Reactions: Jets 31

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
There's no over-stating how much .930 goaltending impacts everything. If Helly starts dropping .910 or worse on a regular basis we're all going to be a lot less cheerful.

OK, where would Boston, NYI, and STL be if they had .910 goaltending? Why did Craig Berube get all those kudos? Wasn’t it all Binnington?

We pay Hellebuyck to be an elite goalie. Why have a “what if” scenario that he sucks?

Should we have a “what if” scenario wondering if Schiefele became a 40 point centre? Or what if Morrissey played like Meyers? What if Big Buff decided to not show up this year and we had to deploy an AHL defence (oh, that happened?).

The Jets paid their elite goalie to an elite contract. The expectations are there that he would play to his contract.

If we were paying $2M for a .910 goalie, where do I get to spend the other $4M to upgrade the team?

Or, you like to wonder what would happen if big contract players just played like mediocre players to what...deflect praise to other aspects of the team and coaching?

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
No team is going to win solely on one thing.

The #1 so far has been Helle. We've been massively outplayed in a fair amount of games and he kept us in them.

The F have done (especially lately) a much better job coming back to help the defense. The defense has been making less back-breaking mistakes and turnovers, so even if the opposing team gets a lot of zone time and chances, they're not the "in our own zone breakaway" kind of chances we were giving up at the start of the year. So good F, playing good team defense and Mo's coaching giving subpar NHL dmen the ability to hold their own when they all work together as a team.

I'm impressed how he's been able to insulate some of the guys and allow them to play simple games against much better opposition and hold their own. Pionk and Poolman (especially Pionk) being very good have really helped as well, especially when Morrissey was struggling.

It'd be really nice to add a Buff to this lineup.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
OK, where would Boston, NYI, and STL be if they had .910 goaltending? Why did Craig Berube get all those kudos? Wasn’t it all Binnington?

We pay Hellebuyck to be an elite goalie. Why have a “what if” scenario that he sucks?

Should we have a “what if” scenario wondering if Schiefele became a 40 point centre? Or what if Morrissey played like Meyers? What if Big Buff decided to not show up this year and we had to deploy an AHL defence (oh, that happened?).

The Jets paid their elite goalie to an elite contract. The expectations are there that he would play to his contract.

If we were paying $2M for a .910 goalie, where do I get to spend the other $4M to upgrade the team?

Or, you like to wonder what would happen if big contract players just played like mediocre players to what...deflect praise to other aspects of the team and coaching?
Agreed. Helly has been great. But he is paid to be great. No team wins consistently without great goaltending.

Reactions: Jets 31 and GNP

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Agreed. Helly has been great. But he is paid to be great. No team wins consistently without great goaltending.

er, yeah. Where did I say anything about Helly being over paid or about "what if" scenarios? I'm just saying .930 goalie work can make up for/cover up a lot of other aspects of a team. It's currently the primary reason for a lot of the success we're having. I hope it stays that way. The team in general has started to put together some better play as well but for much of the season we've been in the bottom third of the league in a lot of categories...

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
[QUOTE="Guffman, post: 167485307, member: 269611]

Or, you like to wonder what would happen if big contract players just played like mediocre players to what...deflect praise to other aspects of the team and coaching?[/QUOTE]

You like to ignore elephants in the room in order to praise other things that really aren't what they may appear?

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
[QUOTE="Guffman, post: 167485307, member: 269611]

You like to ignore elephants in the room in order to praise other things that really aren't what they may appear?[/QUOTE]

You’re the one wondering what would happen if Helly, our 6-year $37 million contract player, started to deliver .910 or worse goaltending.

So, if we’re going to entertain that, why not entertain a what if Connor McDavid’s performance dropped to a 0.5 points/game. Things wouldn’t be so sunny in Edmonton. Oilers fans who won’t entertain that notion are ignoring an elephant in the room! LOL!

Look, you would have a valid argument if Hellebuyck’s play was unexpected based on his career. He was in the Vezina conversation two years ago.

There is no elephant in the room expecting star players to deliver star performance. We allocate high salary cap to those players, leaving us less to upgrade the rest of the team.

If we’re having unexpected breakout performances that isn’t attributable to coaching, I will entertain that angle.

Jaytee

Feb 27, 2015
Hate him or not, if the Jets continue at this pace for the rest of the season, Paul Maurice has to be a strong candidate for Coach of the Year.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
helle's the #1 reason. It just feels that even with the record, a small slump by helle gets us back down to earth. I realize there's probably a concerted effort to play way more conservatively with the mess of a d-corps we have but how often have we outshot opponents throughout this great spell? How often have we even got 30 shots on goal? I realize that's not necessarily an indicator of issues, but I just feel that this 3 line team with this defense is a marginal playoff team overall unless helle continues his vezina like results. It's not to say that the forwards aren't playing well, and the d is doing the best that can be expected, but it still feels very shaky.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Hellebuyck is the main reason. With so many wins by only one goal, it's obvious to see the importance of high-end goaltending. Letting in one bad goal per game, or even one less great save per game, and we could be out of a playoff spot. It's that close.

We are very deep with elite forward skill (Scheifele, Wheeler, Laine, Ehlers and Connor). Very deep indeed. Look at last night's game against Dallas as a perfect example.

Pionk is far better than advertised when he came in. I was quite concerned. I'm eating some crow now.

Morrissey regained his composure and is now back among the more reliable and skilled rearguards in the league.

Teams like Pittsburgh and Washington proved that you can go a long way with a no-name defense as long as you have great goaltending and one or two stalwarts on the blueline. The Jets are proving that as well.

Moving Wheeler to centre has seemed to solve our second line centre issue. This is great, as we shouldn't feel desperate enough to go looking for one at the trade deadline. Things will only get better when (if) Little returns.

Lowry and Copp still do their "unsung" jobs on the third line. Same with Perreault.

Maurice deserves credit as well. If he's a whipping boy when things go bad, it's only fair to give him his share of the credit when things go well.

My only beef with this team is the fourth line, they aren't ready for prime time. Other than that, this team has been a surprise.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
If Little comes back and with Appleton we definitely become a 4 line team and if Buff comes back our defense just got alot better . This team is playing as a team again and not as individuals like last season .

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
You like to ignore elephants in the room in order to praise other things that really aren't what they may appear?

You’re the one wondering what would happen if Helly, our 6-year $37 million contract player, started to deliver .910 or worse goaltending.

So, if we’re going to entertain that, why not entertain a what if Connor McDavid’s performance dropped to a 0.5 points/game. Things wouldn’t be so sunny in Edmonton. Oilers fans who won’t entertain that notion are ignoring an elephant in the room! LOL!

Look, you would have a valid argument if Hellebuyck’s play was unexpected based on his career. He was in the Vezina conversation two years ago.

There is no elephant in the room expecting star players to deliver star performance. We allocate high salary cap to those players, leaving us less to upgrade the rest of the team.

If we’re having unexpected breakout performances that isn’t attributable to coaching, I will entertain that angle.[/QUOTE]

wow. don't really know what it is you are saying. Just because Helly is doing what we want/expect him to do doesn't change the fact that what he's doing is the major reason for our success this season so far. I'm not particularly surprised by his play. I think he's a great goalie and worth the money. But the fact is great goalies make great teams ftmp...I'm not "wondering" what would happen if he started playing poorly. I know what would happen...

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
If Little comes back and with Appleton we definitely become a 4 line team and if Buff comes back our defense just got alot better . This team is playing as a team again and not as individuals like last season .

I’ve noticed that the Jets have historically played better team defence when they are missing a lot of d-men to injury. More care is taken on team defensive play.

Maybe that’s one factor this year. Maybe feathers were unruffled. Laine is getting his opportunities. Wheeler at C is giving us two solid lines. Roslovic has stepped up. Getting rid of an anti-team player like Trouba may have helped cohesion. And someone mentioned his recently but with Buff out and Wheeler being more chill, maybe the locker room is easier for the young players.

On paper, we sometimes like at how we did one year and then expect we will do better/worse based on some changes or growth in young players. That just doesn’t happen so cleanly. The mental part of the team often impacts things.

I don’t know what happened last year with the team’s mindset but they somehow fixed it this year and are doing well despite the talent downgrade.

Really can’t point to one factor. This is a collective team change that is making us successful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->