Reason for Jets success this season so far?

Reason for Jets success this season so far?

• Good coaching?

• Good forwards?

• Good goalie?

• Combination of all three.

Results are only viewable after voting.

wpgfishfan

Apr 1, 2014
You like to ignore elephants in the room in order to praise other things that really aren't what they may appear?

You’re the one wondering what would happen if Helly, our 6-year $37 million contract player, started to deliver .910 or worse goaltending.

So, if we’re going to entertain that, why not entertain a what if Connor McDavid’s performance dropped to a 0.5 points/game. Things wouldn’t be so sunny in Edmonton. Oilers fans who won’t entertain that notion are ignoring an elephant in the room! LOL!

Look, you would have a valid argument if Hellebuyck’s play was unexpected based on his career. He was in the Vezina conversation two years ago.

There is no elephant in the room expecting star players to deliver star performance. We allocate high salary cap to those players, leaving us less to upgrade the rest of the team.

If we’re having unexpected breakout performances that isn’t attributable to coaching, I will entertain that angle.[/QUOTE]

Goalies consistently are not consistent year to year

A healthy McDavid won't drop down to .5 a game player. Helly can easily go to a .910 save % rest of the year

TheGovernment

Jan 13, 2012
I think they feel like the pressure is off. Everyone had them being a basement team this year (including lots of us) and for the most part, they have been pretty good.... Now I say the biggest reason is Helle this year but I think the lack of stress helped out the entire team.

Reactions: libertarian

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
The real reason is hellybuck...take him out of the equation and jets are what...maybe at best .500
So we must be loosing all the games our back up plays then . He is a big reason yes but there are many factors . Just look at Stars last night , there goalie was great but team was crap and look what happened .

Reactions: Jets 31

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
You’re the one wondering what would happen if Helly, our 6-year $37 million contract player, started to deliver .910 or worse goaltending.

So, if we’re going to entertain that, why not entertain a what if Connor McDavid’s performance dropped to a 0.5 points/game. Things wouldn’t be so sunny in Edmonton. Oilers fans who won’t entertain that notion are ignoring an elephant in the room! LOL!

Look, you would have a valid argument if Hellebuyck’s play was unexpected based on his career. He was in the Vezina conversation two years ago.

There is no elephant in the room expecting star players to deliver star performance. We allocate high salary cap to those players, leaving us less to upgrade the rest of the team.

If we’re having unexpected breakout performances that isn’t attributable to coaching, I will entertain that angle.

Goalies consistently are not consistent year to year

A healthy McDavid won't drop down to .5 a game player. Helly can easily go to a .910 save % rest of the year[/QUOTE]
Yep also following this reasoning Price should be playing much better than Helly yet he’s not. Also if it just comes down to playing your money’s worth while we are getting better value from Helly than Wheeler, Connor chef, laine.

Last edited:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
There's no over-stating how much .930 goaltending impacts everything. If Helly starts dropping .910 or worse on a regular basis we're all going to be a lot less cheerful.
I see people raise this point and there is truth in it for sure. Hellebuyck is playing great.
However, a goalies SV% is not created in a vacuum. The Jets are giving up a lot less than they were at the beginning of the season. That impacts a goalies save percentage too.

I give a lot of credit to the forwards, still a ways to go to get better defensively but they are supporting way better.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I see people raise this point and there is truth in it for sure. Hellebuyck is playing great.
However, a goalies SV% is not created in a vacuum. The Jets are giving up a lot less than they were at the beginning of the season. That impacts a goalies save percentage too.

I give a lot of credit to the forwards, still a ways to go to get better defensively but they are supporting way better.
By "lately" do you mean "last night"? :laugh:

Edit: I guess you didn't say "lately" - it was just implied...

Reactions: Jet

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
I think the biggest reason for success is hustle from the team as a whole.
Goaltending right there with it.
We do have a deadly forward group, WHEN they are hustling.
Coaching is a hard one to assess.

Reactions: Howard Chuck

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I won't give Maurice any credit, this success is despite Maurice

Brian Burke recently stated he would vote for Paul Maurice as Coach of the Year.

I see your opinions almost line up with professional hockey executives. :confused:

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Gawd i can’t believe I’m saying this but the team is also buying what Maurice is selling AND Wheels seems less intense
And the media were saying how 55 is becoming quite a leader especially to the younger guys on the team. Keeping things light but focused at practice.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
I certainly get what you’re saying, but something seems different with this squad ever since the Little injury and the splitting up of 26 and 55. I like the way they are playing...lots.
I agree and I'm hopeful things will continue. Just hard to forget we were having our best season ever right up until the start of January and then were suddenly no fun to watch at all.

Assuming Little is back, I'd really like to see how it would look having him be 3C behind Wheeler. Maybe give him Matty and Apples for the wings.

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
Hellebuyck is far and away the #1 reason why the Jets are in any sort of playoff conversation.

Maurice deserves credit for coaching a style reflective of the talent of the team - mostly spurred by injury. The supposed top line of ##-55-26 has been anything but going back into last year and the Wheeler-as-Centre-Experiment is mostly working because a) Ehlers is still underrated, b) Roslovic is just better as a winger and probably doesn't have a future as centre anymore, and c) Wheeler loves Maurice, is easily coachable, and does everything the coaching staff wants him to do as a "centre" (which is stay high in the offensive zone and only get low for rush chances and/or outnumbering in a puck battle along the boards. (This is all good because he was cheating a lot for offense as a winger this season so it might be a good reset for him if/when he moves back to the wing.)

Right now we have a 2A and 2B, and even then I think you can flip Connor and Perreault and get a 2C line while improving the gaps of 81, 55, and 29 - mostly for defensive reasons. Before Bryan Little's injury, Maurice's deployment was very much in favour of Scheifele and Lowry's line handling the big defensive responsibilities. Now, it's a little more balanced amongst the top three, though the 4th line is still largely forgotten. I'm sure it's a relief for Wheeler, whose defensive impact is a far cry from his 2014-17 seasons, that he isn't overworked and overplayed whenever the Jets are trailing or need to protect a lead. Appleton's return from injury should prove a boost to the 4th line and the waiver acquisition of Nick Shore allows for Gustafsson to get some needed top minutes at the WJC and SHL (though Logan Shaw needs to be catapulted to the AHL whenever feasible).

The defense is an enigma that ebbs and flows from "tolerable" to "jesus christ" and they're really being helped out by that F3 that's staying high in offensive zone to limit rush chances against - there's only 9 goalies with more than 300 minutes this season that's facing less than 1 rush chance per game and 37 is 5th among them (according to Natural Stat Trick). Of course, the big problem right now is that they've been giving up a crap-ton of rebound chances against, and that's where Hellebuyck is shining at the moment (and why the Jets xGA has been sky high this season). They'd be a lot better not necessarily by getting "bigger" and "meaner" in front of the net but by inserting some players that are good at moving the puck out of the zone (hello, Niku). For now, they're surviving - and that's about all you can ask for at the moment. Reinforcements are coming next season (Samberg, Heinola, full-time Niku, Chisholm... maybe even Stanley?).

That all being said, Jets are very much in a bubble that seems bound to burst at any moment. Does it mean we'll flip from going 10-2-1 in November (or whatever it) was to 1-2-10? Probably not - it's more likely they'll be hovering around the middle with lots of close or overtime games, and even though the team hasn't gone to OT lately, their top talent is still some of the very best in the NHL so it's no surprise the team is 6-1 in OT and they continue racking up that 2nd point through those means. They aren't going to be a traditional analytics darling by any means, but their style and how they want to play is pretty evident and in theory should continue outperforming some abysmal publicly available numbers (until it all collapses so don't @ or quote me when Hellebuyck gets injured and everything gets "exposed"). All you can ask for from this team is to play that style and remain in the game to allow their offensive talent to take over, and though I don't necessarily agree that's the best way to coach or win games or win Stanley Cups, it's allowed them to remain in the hunt.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and not taking penalties. Huge swing in the Jets favour as that PK was awful early on and still looks worrisome IMO.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Hellebuyck is far and away the #1 reason why the Jets are in any sort of playoff conversation.

Maurice deserves credit for coaching a style reflective of the talent of the team - mostly spurred by injury. The supposed top line of ##-55-26 has been anything but going back into last year and the Wheeler-as-Centre-Experiment is mostly working because a) Ehlers is still underrated, b) Roslovic is just better as a winger and probably doesn't have a future as centre anymore, and c) Wheeler loves Maurice, is easily coachable, and does everything the coaching staff wants him to do as a "centre" (which is stay high in the offensive zone and only get low for rush chances and/or outnumbering in a puck battle along the boards. (This is all good because he was cheating a lot for offense as a winger this season so it might be a good reset for him if/when he moves back to the wing.)

Right now we have a 2A and 2B, and even then I think you can flip Connor and Perreault and get a 2C line while improving the gaps of 81, 55, and 29 - mostly for defensive reasons. Before Bryan Little's injury, Maurice's deployment was very much in favour of Scheifele and Lowry's line handling the big defensive responsibilities. Now, it's a little more balanced amongst the top three, though the 4th line is still largely forgotten. I'm sure it's a relief for Wheeler, whose defensive impact is a far cry from his 2014-17 seasons, that he isn't overworked and overplayed whenever the Jets are trailing or need to protect a lead. Appleton's return from injury should prove a boost to the 4th line and the waiver acquisition of Nick Shore allows for Gustafsson to get some needed top minutes at the WJC and SHL (though Logan Shaw needs to be catapulted to the AHL whenever feasible).

The defense is an enigma that ebbs and flows from "tolerable" to "jesus christ" and they're really being helped out by that F3 that's staying high in offensive zone to limit rush chances against - there's only 9 goalies with more than 300 minutes this season that's facing less than 1 rush chance per game and 37 is 5th among them (according to Natural Stat Trick). Of course, the big problem right now is that they've been giving up a crap-ton of rebound chances against, and that's where Hellebuyck is shining at the moment (and why the Jets xGA has been sky high this season). They'd be a lot better not necessarily by getting "bigger" and "meaner" in front of the net but by inserting some players that are good at moving the puck out of the zone (hello, Niku). For now, they're surviving - and that's about all you can ask for at the moment. Reinforcements are coming next season (Samberg, Heinola, full-time Niku, Chisholm... maybe even Stanley?).

That all being said, Jets are very much in a bubble that seems bound to burst at any moment. Does it mean we'll flip from going 10-2-1 in November (or whatever it) was to 1-2-10? Probably not - it's more likely they'll be hovering around the middle with lots of close or overtime games, and even though the team hasn't gone to OT lately, their top talent is still some of the very best in the NHL so it's no surprise the team is 6-1 in OT and they continue racking up that 2nd point through those means. They aren't going to be a traditional analytics darling by any means, but their style and how they want to play is pretty evident and in theory should continue outperforming some abysmal publicly available numbers (until it all collapses so don't @ or quote me when Hellebuyck gets injured and everything gets "exposed"). All you can ask for from this team is to play that style and remain in the game to allow their offensive talent to take over, and though I don't necessarily agree that's the best way to coach or win games or win Stanley Cups, it's allowed them to remain in the hunt.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and not taking penalties. Huge swing in the Jets favour as that PK was awful early on and still looks worrisome IMO.
All I know is Rosie looks better with legit Nhlers.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Giving Wheeler and Scheifele their own lines, that's what made the team successful this year. Bryan Little at 3C would be an improvement too when he returns.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Brian Burke recently stated he would vote for Paul Maurice as Coach of the Year.

I see your opinions almost line up with professional hockey executives. :confused:

My thoughts on Brian Burke are quite similar as my thoughts of Maurice. Obviously they would see eye to eye, they have the same warts. Birds of feather flock together.

So don't expect me to take it as a negative, that Brian Burke disagrees with me. I don't take him for a serious hockey analyst.

Reactions: Gm0ney

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I certainly get what you’re saying, but something seems different with this squad ever since the Little injury and the splitting up of 26 and 55. I like the way they are playing...lots.

Who would have ever thought.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Outstanding goaltending being a major reason for winning. Who would have thought? :rolleyes:

Reactions: Jets 31

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad