Reason for Hawks' early success?

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
so you’re saying if the Hawks had 12 points in 18 games and were in dead last, people would be saying things are going well

What he is saying that going into this season the goal for the Hawks was to see an improvement with the young guys leading the charge ... and we have seen it. The fact that they have more points than expected is a bonus and reward for hard work and vastly improved team play backed up by unexpectedly solid goaltending.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
What he is saying that going into this season the goal for the Hawks was to see an improvement with the young guys leading the charge ... and we have seen it. The fact that they have more points than expected is a bonus and reward for hard work and vastly improved team play backed up by unexpectedly solid goaltending.

and I’m saying there isn’t improvement by any metrics other than goaltending, the power play (both of which are at unsustainable levels) and the eye test. I feel like people just forgot what winning hockey looks like, good teams pass the eye test and the underlying numbers back up what you think you’re seeing

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Imagine a goalie with a sv% of 0.917, and then saying he couldn't stop a beach ball.

Fact is, Crawford had some good moments but was often overrated by quite a few fans on this board for his entire career. When he was good it was inflated to elite and when not so good it was deemed good.... and when he was bad and let in too many softies, well, the excuses were many.

Reactions: Blackhawks

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
and I’m saying there isn’t improvement by any metrics other than goaltending, the power play (both of which are at unsustainable levels) and the eye test. I feel like people just forgot what winning hockey looks like, good teams pass the eye test and the underlying numbers back up what you think you’re seeing

What exactly do you expect? For Hawks to suddenly become Tampa Bay over the summer?
Most can see that they have made a big step in the right direction and if you can't see it, I don't know what to say.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Fact is, Crawford had some good moments but was often overrated by quite a few fans on this board for his entire career. When he was good it was inflated to elite and when not so good it was deemed good.... and when he was bad and let in too many softies, well, the excuses were many.
Fact is, Crawford was one of the better goalies in the NHL from 2013-2018, just before he was concussed.

You have always underrated him, and Blackhawks is a moron. Otherwise, almost everyone else feels the way I do, he was a great goalie for us.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
when you are the only poster who hasnt seen improvements, maybe you should just accept that you dont know what you are watching. I dont think anyone thinks the PP or goaltending is sustainable, but what we have seen so far is more than that. Players are playing the type of hockey you want, and not just floating around lost like they were the last 2 years.

Will they continue to play like this all year? That's what we hope to see, and that's what JC will be judged by. So far, this year he has done a decent job, the wins are just gravy.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
So now people are switching on Crawford and he now a gutless ******?

Crawford was pretty good but not elite imo

Callidusblackhawk

Feb 15, 2012
Downers Grove, Illinois
That's not a fact at all. You never liked him and let that cloud your view of him, that's a fact.

Some good moments.... lol

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
All average goalies have some good moments and some not-so-good moments.

"average" my ass. He was very, very good. Never quite hit elite or bonafide top 3 in the league but he was close. The only time he really disappointed and let Hawks fans down was during that Arizona playoff series. Had Torres not tried to decapitate Hossa on the ice they might have even still managed to win that series.

He had a better career save % and GAA than Esposito, Belfour, and Hall. Obviously different eras, but it still counts for something.

He was downright dominant in the 2013 Cup run and he was great in the 2015 Cup run.

Why you still talk shit about him yet advocated for guys like Darling to be extended while sending Crawford packing, I'll never understand.

coolhand

Jan 20, 2016
Streamwood, IL
The Hawks are having success now because the country cub mentality is gone. The kids are playing hard and with energy. Is it because JC is putting HIS team on the ice now and not Q's?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad