Reason for Hawks' early success?

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
The revisionist history of the Hawks is amazing. Toews is overrated, Keith is overrated, Campbell was terrible, Oduya was terrible, Crawford is average....they sure won a lot for not having many elite players.
Some fools were always saying it at the time though too.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
He had a better career save % and GAA than Esposito, Belfour, and Hall. Obviously different eras, but it still counts for something.

Not a big Crawford guy but he was not average.

He also was not as good as the other 3 goalies mentioned.

Reactions: pvr

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Not a big Crawford guy but he was not average.

He also was not as good as the other 3 goalies mentioned.

Obviously, he wasn't as good as those guys. I'd throw DeJordy in that group as well.

As I've said before ..... the average NHL goaltender is a helluva lot better than people around here seem to think. Don't believe me... just do a rundown of the starters and many of the back-ups and you'll find many solid netminders (other than a few deemed as elite). To call Crawford comparable to any one of those considered average is not a slight.

Last edited:

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Obviously, he wasn't as good as those guys. I'd throw DeJordy in that group as well.

As I've said before ..... the average NHL goaltender is a helluva lot better than people around here seem to think. Don't believe me... just do a rundown of the starters and many of the back-ups and you'll find many solid netminders (other than a few deemed as elite). To call Crawford comparable to any one of those considered average is not a slight.
For like 5 years his numbers were top 5 in the NHL. His career numbers are almost identical to Quick. How is that considered average? Does that mean you also consider Quick to have been average?

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

Calling someone "average" when they are clearly not, IS actually a slight.

If Crawford was average, so was Seabrook.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

You claimed Crow was average while pumping Darling’s tires. All the guy did was win a f*** ton of hockey games.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
I would identify these categories for goalies Elite .. Great .. Excellent .. Good .. Average .. Below Average
I would place Crow in the half way point between Excellent and Great
I would put Belfour in the same place and Espo and Hall just above excellent.

Reactions: ClydeLee

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
How is Scott Darling doing? Oh, he's not playing in the NHL anymore? You don't say.

Emery and Darling were both made to look amazing by the team infront of them and Q’s team defence, this just proves that Crow was average at best and was a product of that same team and system. Furthermore he was saved by Darling in 2015 playoffs because he wet the bed in the first round, almost lost game 6 to the redwings in 2013 by letting in a very soft goal and the team had to save his ass, 2014 he stunk up the place in the LA series and lost the series all by himself Letting in something like 4.5GAA/G in the last games, this guy was average at best but the excuses continue rolling. Majority opinion is law apparently, I get called an idiot, moron, scum, etc. and that’s cool posts still up, but all mine are apparently trolling lol, popular opinion governs.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011

Curious.... Who else would you consider average and a comparable to Crawford during his run?

scorehawks

Feb 13, 2021
Early season success? The PP.
But now suggest Mitchell on PP and he feed Kubalik for one timer like Hughes does to Pettersen in Vancouver.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Emery and Darling were both made to look amazing by the team infront of them and Q’s team defence, this just proves that Crow was average at best and was a product of that same team and system. Furthermore he was saved by Darling in 2015 playoffs because he wet the bed in the first round, almost lost game 6 to the redwings in 2013 by letting in a very soft goal and the team had to save his ass, 2014 he stunk up the place in the LA series and lost the series all by himself Letting in something like 4.5GAA/G in the last games, this guy was average at best but the excuses continue rolling. Majority opinion is law apparently, I get called an idiot, moron, scum, etc. and that’s cool posts still up, but all mine are apparently trolling lol, popular opinion governs.
Please explain why he had his best season in 2017-18 then.

Also, are you gonna cry?

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

So pretty much every goalie to play from 2013-2018 is average or worse than, right? Because he was top 3 in sv% and GAA in that time span for starting goalies.

Last edited:

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
The Crow haters just prove how little they know hockey every time they type.

As for the topic at hand, the team is playing better defensively, a couple young guys have stepped forward, and we've had the good fortune to be in the same division as Detroit.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Please explain why he had his best season in 2017-18 then.

Also, are you gonna cry?

Calling things as they are is now apparently crying, another pathetic response.

17/18 the year that he played 28 games you mean? lol every average goalie has his stretch.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Darling and Emery didn't succeed by virtue of the team in front of them so much as they benefitted by virtue of being backups that no team gameplanned for.

Once both moved on to starting positions, teams scouting staffs started putting books together on them and they were exploited. Heavily.

The same thing happened to Crow in 2012. After being a backup for most of 2011, teams didn't really know much about him when he took over the starting job and into the playoffs. The next year, he was gameplanned for, teams picked apart his weaknesses, he had a bad year.

Then Waite helped him out and he became a BEAST. He improved his game as the teams playing against him tried to pick it apart. On the flip side, Darling and Emery faltered once the spotlight of the competition fell on them. In Emery's case, he was old and injured. It was probably too much to expect him to handle being a starter. For Darling, I just don't think he was ever starter material. In the right environment, I still think he could be a good NHL backup.

Crawford, meanwhile, continued to excel even as the defensive play in front of him desiccated. From 2013 to 2018 he was a top 5 goalie in the league, and in key metrics (ESSV% and GSAA) he was top THREE.

Also, the idea that Crawford was responsible for the 2014 WCF loss to the Kings is absurd. He finishes the series almost dead even in save percentage with Quick despite the fact that the Blackhawks gave up more shots and chances in that series. The series loss was the by-product of chickens coming home to roost for Q's roster management all season long.

The Crow haters just prove how little they know hockey every time they type.

As for the topic at hand, the team is playing better defensively, a couple young guys have stepped forward, and we've had the good fortune to be in the same division as Detroit.

Absolutely. It's crazy how he remains underrated, even by people that should be celebrating him most.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Calling things as they are is now apparently crying, another pathetic response.

17/18 the year that he played 28 games you mean? lol every average goalie has his stretch.
I was asking if you were going to cry, in response to you complaining that people are calling you a moron and how the posts are still up.

And you are right, it was his shortened year, and he was arguably the best goalie in the league when he went down, on a terrible team. So your logic is wrong. 28 games is more than a stretch. His entire career speaks for it self.

13th all time in Regular season Sv% (0.917%)
3rd in SV% from 2013-2018 out of goalies with more than 250GP (0.920%)
30th ALL TIME in Stanley Cup Playoff Sv% (0.917%)

Totally average.

Malagahawks

We tanked hard and got Bedard!! Happy Days!!
Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain
An assessment by Powers & Laz about the state of the Hawks player development with 1/3rd of the season done. I know Laz lacks credibility on here but what about Powers? Is he better at in and post game analysis?

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
During the run of Cups with the Hawks when Crawford took over......you never heard of the team looking for, needing, wanting, ever even breathing a word of desiring an upgrade at G. If that doesn’t tell you he was better than average I don’t know what does. The guy was excellent in our runs.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
When speaking of the 3 cup dynasty and the heralded core of Toews, Kane, Hossa, Keith, Seabrook and Hammer .. Crow is right there on the next rung of the ladder .. the very next rung!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad