Reason for Hawks' early success?

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Guys going balls out and playing the right way goes a long way, too. I think there are finally enough hard working, high motor guys on this team, that they have made up for the absence of Hossa. He had a huge influence on how guys played on this team, and his void was never filled. I think DeBrincat's growth especially, has been a huge example for the other kids on the team.

too bad Cats work has not rubbed off on Strome...

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Development of young players. And I don’t just mean the top picks either. I mean the later first round picks on back. Being able to identify a player’s weaknesses and help them overcome them.

And just because you’re gifted top 5 picks, doesn’t mean they’ll reach their full potential. Look no further than the Rangers. Garbage organization despite every benefit possible. Laf is floundering, Kakko can’t score to save his life. Gifted minutes though.

Our top 5 pick? Played on the fourth line and forced to hustle his ass for more playing time. Did he score lots? No. But he came back in the Edmonton and looked like a demon. That’s called development.

And Colliton has made it clear. If you work hard you’re going to play. The kids made sure they showed up and worked their asses off. And now they’re playing. For most players, development can really make or break what you become in this league. The Hawks have set the foundation for success in development for years to come. I think they’re in a great position to have continued success.
Can Colliton get Strome to quit pouting and play the way we all know he can?

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Strong goaltending last year lol, Crawford couldn’t stop a beach ball to save his life

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Can Colliton get Strome to quit pouting and play the way we all know he can?

No he’s simply too slow for the NHL, there is a certain speed that players at this level need to be at and he’s just not there, as I have said many times before he is the slowest player in the NHL, period.

Reactions: WeAreSoPucked

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Hawks are 2nd in the league (behind legit contender BOS) in combined special teams (PP% + PK%); and smack dab in the middle, 16th, goal differential. (Very unfancy stats via NHL dot com, but a keep-it-simple-silly quick rule of thumb overview of clubs' performance.)

This tells me tho, another important stat, 5 on 5 goals, the Hawks below average and unless improved, eventually that deficiency will show up in the W-L numbers.
So, how to do so?

Well, of course, #19 and/or Dach coming back but I'm not counting on either, tho only want to be wrong there.
Don't want to rush the young man back and Jonny - assuming & hopeful it isn't medical - might be he's just lost interest. There is precedence, couple years back was a STL (or was it BUF) player just up and stopped playing. Walked away from hockey.

What's really left for Toews to accomplish?
His trophy room literally has every award any jock could ever desire, including an Olympic gold medal. And assuming he's not running buddies w/ EKane, have to believe, $$$s-wise set for life. And then some prolly ten lifetimes over.

Could say, if their "generational" 2C decides he's going to actually battle for a puck or dedicate himself to winning FOs, that would result in improved even strength play but - no offense to Musto - I've given up waiting for Strome to live up to his potential. Is what it is and will gladly admit being wrong should #17 prove me so.

Where then, does that leave this club? A fun ride for a bit longer here and then - most likely - the rooks hit a wall (hey it happens) and DAL, CBJ, & maybe even NSH overtake them the final playoff spot. (TBL, CAR, FLA assumed 1,2,3 in the Central.)

But who knows? I'm up for finding out; this club is a blast to watch. Hagel alone makes it fun. The other rookies too. Kurashev's score last night was highlight reel stuff league-wise. And Beaudin & Mitchell, both's maturity is remarkable to watch.

Lankinen? Let's ride that pony boys ... I'm old enough remember Tony-O. He won the Vezina his rookie year. A hot goalie's run CAN last an entire season long.

And we have another lock Hall of Famer actually playing right now to boot. And a Cat looking like a legit all-star now, as well.

So, WhoTF knows anyways? I've half senile now & I can easily "forget" any stinker outings to come. I'm up for the fun this bunch of beauties have in 'em!
GoHawks.

But that goal differential includes first 4 games, in where Hawks allowed 20 goals, 5 goals per game,
but in the next 14 games, 31 goals against, that's 2.2 goals against. One really should look that stat.

Reactions: WeAreSoPucked

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
The difference here is, you keep looking at the record as an indicator of success. Others are just watching the games and seeing improved play. Even if the records were the same, I think most sensical people would see with their own eyes that this team is playing better than last years team.

so you’re saying if the Hawks had 12 points in 18 games and were in dead last, people would be saying things are going well

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
so you’re saying if the Hawks had 12 points in 18 games and were in dead last, people would be saying things are going well
I think people would say the players are playing the right way, and they have improved the way they are playing the game, assuming they played the way they have up until now.

But, the reason they arent in dead last is because they have improved and are playing the right way.

I really dont know what your issue is? The team is doing well, the young guys are playing really well, and we found a new goalie, by the looks of it so far. What were you expecting that you arent seeing, considering our top 2 Cs are out?

Reactions: Pez68 and ClydeLee

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
I think people would say the players are playing the right way, and they have improved the way they are playing the game, assuming they played the way they have up until now.

But, the reason they arent in dead last is because they have improved and are playing the right way.

I really dont know what your issue is? The team is doing well, the young guys are playing really well, and we found a new goalie, by the looks of it so far. What were you expecting that you arent seeing, considering our top 2 Cs are out?

I was expecting to see a last place team that gives up a ton of shots, chances, and goals because they aren’t very good and don’t have a NHL goaltender on the roster. Instead I’m seeing a borderline playoffs team giving up a ton of shots and chances but not a ton of goals because they found a legit #1 goaltender and are scoring at a 30+% clip on the PP.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I was expecting to see a last place team that gives up a ton of shots, chances, and goals because they aren’t very good and don’t have a NHL goaltender on the roster. Instead I’m seeing a borderline playoffs team giving up a ton of shots and chances but not a ton of goals because they found a legit #1 goaltender and are scoring at a 30+% clip on the PP.
So you don't see any improvement over last year, and you don't see some new kids coming up and performing well?

Reactions: ClydeLee

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
its like 12 different players, lower expectations, this thread is being made after a hot streak rather then a cold streak so everything looks better.

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
On a totally different level of play of course, this season reminds me of another shortened season, 2015. Like 2015, I keep waiting for this team to come back to earth. It didn't happen then, here's hoping it doesn't happen this time around.
Not with a SC. That is unrealistic but a playoff birth would be totally unexpected to put it mildly and would be absolutely fantastic.
2013 you mean? 2015 was a standard season

I mean it’s a combo of surprise goaltending giving the team confidence and some fantastic special teams work. Their special teams will likely come down to Earth and this division isn’t as tough as many (including little old me) had assumed so there’s really no telling until we get closer to the trade deadline

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
huh? He had a shaky first month of the season and then was outstanding from that point forward.

Lmao what are you guys talking about, did any of you watch the playoffs or did old age memory loss kick in?

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
So you don't see any improvement over last year, and you don't see some new kids coming up and performing well?

There is some improvement in some facets of the game. The facts are they have 26 goals at 5v5 in 18 games (compared to 35 against), last year they had 147 in 70 games. If we prorate their very improved performance thats 101 goals scored at 5v5 in 70 games. Only the Red Wings had less than 101 goals at 5v5 last year. You can't play that poorly at 5v5 over the course of the season and be a competitive team.

Conversely the improvement is they gave up 147 goals against at 5v5 but are on pace to give up 136 this year. That largely comes down to having your #1 goaltender sitting at a .931 save percentage.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Who said anything about the playoffs? Oh that's right, no one.

Although he still had a 907sv%, so he could stop a beach ball, hell, he stopped the puck 90.7% of the time.

Crow was horrendous in the playoffs and was injured a big chunk of the season, cool numbers tho, when he was counted on most he always failed, that was always Crawford, mediocre goalie carried by a team, thank God he’s done...

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
There is some improvement in some facets of the game. The facts are they have 26 goals at 5v5 in 18 games (compared to 35 against), last year they had 147 in 70 games. If we prorate their very improved performance thats 101 goals scored at 5v5 in 70 games. Only the Red Wings had less than 101 goals at 5v5 last year. You can't play that poorly at 5v5 over the course of the season and be a competitive team.

Conversely the improvement is they gave up 147 goals against at 5v5 but are on pace to give up 136 this year. That largely comes down to having your #1 goaltender sitting at a .931 save percentage.

They're. Missing. Their. Top. Two. Centers.

Get some perspective. And not the kind you use in a drawing.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
They're. Missing. Their. Top. Two. Centers.

Get some perspective. And not the kind you use in a drawing.

never said they weren’t, they aren’t as good as their record says. People are throwing bouquets at a team that are in line for a huge regression. What’s going on right now is completely unsustainable from a results standpoint but we keep getting fluff pieces for Laz and crew saying how good the Hawks are this year. And people eat that shit up

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
never said they weren’t, they aren’t as good as their record says. People are throwing bouquets at a team that are in line for a huge regression. What’s going on right now is completely unsustainable from a results standpoint but we keep getting fluff pieces for Laz and crew saying how good the Hawks are this year. And people eat that shit up

It has nothing to do with their record. For someone who played, and coaches, you seem to have absolutely no ability to comprehend what you're watching.... You would think pretty much everyone here agreeing, and disagreeing with you, would be a hint that you're wrong. But Dunning-Kruger is definitely a thing.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Crow was horrendous in the playoffs and was injured a big chunk of the season, cool numbers tho, when he was counted on most he always failed, that was always Crawford, mediocre goalie carried by a team, thank God he’s done...
Horrendous isn't a 907sv%. It's not good, but not sure what you expect when he is getting double digit high danger chances against every game.

He was injured a big chunk of the season? news to me. Played 40 of the 70 games, I don't remember him being injured at all! LOL

Yeah, not sure how a goalie who "always failed when counted on the most" got 2 Stanley Cups. What a bum!

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->