Realistic trade options to fix our glaring weakness at the center position

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Kane....the ask from Buffalo was FOUR assets at last check. Really hoping Jarmo doesn't check his brain at the door.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Kane....the ask from Buffalo was FOUR assets at last check. Really hoping Jarmo doesn't check his brain at the door.

He does have 20 goals on the season for a Buffalo team that ranks dead last in goals per game.

20 goals (would be best on the CBJ)
20 assists (would be 4th best on CBJ)
40 points (would be 2nd best on CBJ)

But 4 assests (depending on the assests) does seem like an overpay. I’d imagine we would have to include Milano/Carlsson + a few picks (one being a 2nd), if Jarmo is indeed interested. But the thing is, he’s a FA after this season so Kane would more than likely be a rental.. that’s a high price for a rental.

Kevo22363

Sep 28, 2017
Hilliard, OH
Hasn’t Kane had locker room issues in the past? Not sure there is any room for a problem child whether he scores or not. Probably not a good fit with the organization.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
God I hope Jarmo doesn't give up 4 quality assets for a UFA-to-be winger....no matter how many goals the dude has scored this year

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
There is absolutely no reason to "sell". We need to add a second line center and a second line right wing and this would be a very good team. Build, not destroy.

Oh yeah, and a new head coach.

Reactions: leesmith

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
No no no. Sell sell sell.

I tend to agree unless we can add for the future. Aside form the potential for "issues" and his impending UFA status, EK fils a big void for the Jackets if they can re-sign him at a reasonable price. LW is not a strength. I'm 50/50 on this one.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
One reason I think we seriously go after Kane, he’s a mean sob. He plays in front of the net , and is a beast, but also has tremendous speed, and his shot is really good. Torts last night, after the game , Pld has some big balls , and I think a lot of players on this team need to pick that up. Aka... this team is soft, yes Mr Wennberg, that was Torts throwing a shot aimed directly at you , as well as a few others .

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Also, have to wonder if it’s Ryan Murray, not Jack Johnson moved in the next day. Ryan leaving the game and heading to the locker room is just daily reminder that you can’t depend on him as a viable option.

Kevo22363

Sep 28, 2017
Hilliard, OH
After seeing the Nash trade (holy overpay, even for a rental), I don’t expect Jarmo to act. He’ll stand pat, love on his prospects and tell us the prices were too high. That’s fine, but it becomes highly unlikely this club as constituted makes the playoffs. I hope Jarmo proves me wrong, but I’ve been pretty disappointed in his performance since the club needed help after the streak ended last season.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Lololol the price of Nash. No wonder we didn’t land Nash, and thankfully we didn’t. Overpay x373892. Sellers market x83838

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Last year, you guys had a playoff spot basically wrapped up at this point. This year, you're on the bubble. How is it different for you this year at the deadline than a year ago?
"Well, it makes things more difficult, obviously. Last year, we could start planning at the deadline what we needed to add to our team to be more successful in the playoffs, knowing that we're most likely going to be there. Now, you have to think about getting there … but not at any cost, because we want to be good next year, the year after, and the year after that and so forth.
"To be good in those future years, you need to have your depth chart stocked with prospects and draft picks. And to give away all those to just make sure or try to do whatever it takes this year to make the playoffs, and mortgage our future for doing it, is too much of a price. So, that's where the biggest difference is.
"We all want to make the playoffs. We really want to make the playoffs, and it's our goal. It's been our goal and will be our goal until the end, but not at any cost, if it comes at a cost where we all of a sudden have to steer away from what our long-term goal is. That's not worth the price."

Trade Deadline Q&A: Playoffs are the goal, but 'not at any cost'

JK prior last night game. It's always next year...

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
I’m seriously beginning to think that Kerby will play for every single canadien team before he turns the big 25.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Spitballin' an idea here....

Winnipeg is apparently looking to add a LHD...one would have to think they have interest in Jack Johnson. Let's say we are able to consummate a deal with them involving JJ and their 1st round pick this year (I would assume WPG is all-in, they have a great looking team heading in to the postseason).

Then at noon tomorrow, we put a waiver claim in on Johnny Oduya. He is in the final year of his 1M deal, could add some veteran presence on the backend.

Following the JJ deal, what if we were to make a trade with Buffalo for Evander Kane? Something around Gabriel Carlsson + Winnipeg's 1st rounder? Similar to the return on the Nash trade with NYR/BOS (A-level D prospect and 1st round pick)...

I'm not saying that these moves would mean we are "all-in", but atleast we would have a fighting chance heading into the playoffs if we can get healthy.

Panarin-Dubois-Atkinson
Kane-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand
Foligno-Dubinsky-Anderson
Jenner-Letestu-Calvert
(Sedlak/Milano as extras)

Werenski-Jones
Murray-Nutivaara
Oduya-Savard
(Harrington/Kukan)

Last edited:
Reactions: The Bread Man

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Not the goofiest proposal I've seen here. As a matter of fact if we could pull it off I think it would be a great deal.
Then if we could re-sign Kane it would be even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad