Realistic trade options to fix our glaring weakness at the center position

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
Does everybody know what team hasn't had a first round pick for 3 years in a row?

The Pittsburgh Penguins. They've had 1 first round pick in the last 5 years and soon to be 6. First round picks can be overrated when you can use them to buy already developed talent.
To be fair, they were also handed a generational player in the crapshoot Crosby draft.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
To be fair, they were also handed a generational player in the crapshoot Crosby draft.
They had to settle for the 2nd overall the year before and get the scrub who is Malkin. I guess taking Flower first overall the year before in 2003 didn't hurt either.:laugh:

Reactions: We Want Ten

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Does everybody know what team hasn't had a first round pick for 3 years in a row?

The Pittsburgh Penguins. They've had 1 first round pick in the last 5 years and soon to be 6. First round picks can be overrated when you can use them to buy already developed talent.
Well last draft they switched their 1st (Klim Kostin) for Reaves. We will see how it goes, but guy was 5-3-8 in 5 games at WJC this year.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
JK made it clear that he did not want to give up another first round pick and that, it seems, is what was necessary to get Brassard. Boy are the Pens going to be tough with Brass added to their fire power.

Buy what bothers me the most is that this team is not even fun to watch anymore. Forget wins and losses. Even if it is a win, it tends to be one of those ugly kinds of wins. For awhile last year this was a fun team to watch: fast, crisp passes, great plays, enthusiastic up tempo players.

And now ....... They are just friggin boring. They just kind of flounder around the ice in directionless disorder. If they actually score a goal it almost seems to be a fluke rather than a product of design. The team simply is not fun to watch anymore. And that is a real problem for season ticket renewal.
It really is "the same old Jackets".

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Winnipeg and Columbus both made hard charges at getting Brassard. Where do they go now? Both have also shown interest in Rick Nash this week among other teams - Lebrun

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Where do they go now?
The usual place?

10417511.jpg

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

The point is that they have a core group of players and then they go out and get other talent to compliment them. The CBJ may not have someone like Crosby. Very few teams do. However, they win cups because they make the necessary supporting moves. CBJ could build around Panarin, Werenski, Jones and PLD going forward and then make the necessary moves to fill the roster with proper supporting players.

Jarmo seems to overvalue first round picks who may never turn into anything. Pittsburgh takes first round picks and flips them to team who are rebuilding or need want picks for talent that is already established. To blatantly say you aren't trading this first round pick just because you traded it last year is a disservice to the team when it might bring in someone who can make difference now and might make a difference 3 years from now.

Reactions: EspenK

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Winnipeg and Columbus both made hard charges at getting Brassard. Where do they go now? Both have also shown interest in Rick Nash this week among other teams - Lebrun

Nothing that we haven’t already heard/don’t know.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
With the league letting the Pens circumvent the cap it doesn’t really matter what the Jackets do.
I don't see how this is circumventing anything. It is playing within the rules of the CBA. I hate Pittsburgh more than anything but they are where they are these last couple of years because they make smart moves.

As a CBJ fan, I'd think we should be more offended that they acquired Ryan Reaves to essentially combat our tough play against them last season and in the playoffs. Now that the CBJ has gotten soft, they realized he wasn't necessary and were able to unload him and his massive 8 points in this deal.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
For once let us hope he is spot on.
I want Nash to retire a Jacket. I know, I know, that makes me nostalgic and silly and ‘clearly I don’t want to win’ but I just can’t help it. I still love the big lug. Having said that I don’t really want to sell the farm for him, I don’t want him to have to be THE GUY I just want him to come play a complimentary role and do his thing and I’d hope that this wouldn’t be the only move for offensive help. And perhaps now isn’t the best time for my dream of Nash to come back, maybe I just need to see him sign a last one-year deal with us in the twilight of his career. All I know is I want to see him back in Union Blue once more and I’m not going to apologize for that. Come at me bros.

Kevo22363

Sep 28, 2017
Hilliard, OH
I have a sneaking suspicion that Jarmo will sit on his hands and use the prices we’re too high excuse, this team will miss the playoffs, and the organization will take a big step backwards. Pittsburgh may be in a different spot, but their GM knows when and how to get the job done, and I’m not so sure that Jarmo has that ability. This team has needed help since the end of the winning streak last season and Jarmo has failed to acquire the necessary pieces to push this team closer to post season success. Big fail in my book. Hopefully he can find a way to change that over the next couple of days.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
If Ottawa decides to trade Matt Duchene do you think Jarmo will still have interest? Seems he's playing better as of late or big pass, Jarmo dodged a bullet by not getting him from Colorado?

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
If Ottawa decides to trade Matt Duchene do you think Jarmo will still have interest? Seems he's playing better as of late or big pass, Jarmo dodged a bullet by not getting him from Colorado?

I can’t even begin to imagine the price of Duchene (he’s starting to play well lately, starting to get his trade value back up there (11 points last 10 games), I’d imagine talks begin with OTT wanting Wennberg++.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
I want Nash to retire a Jacket. I know, I know, that makes me nostalgic and silly and ‘clearly I don’t want to win’ but I just can’t help it. I still love the big lug. Having said that I don’t really want to sell the farm for him, I don’t want him to have to be THE GUY I just want him to come play a complimentary role and do his thing and I’d hope that this wouldn’t be the only move for offensive help. And perhaps now isn’t the best time for my dream of Nash to come back, maybe I just need to see him sign a last one-year deal with us in the twilight of his career. All I know is I want to see him back in Union Blue once more and I’m not going to apologize for that. Come at me bros.
I do agree I want him back but not at the trade deadline. Better to keep your assets and maybe try in the Summer when he becomes a UFA. What's better, a short term but bigger cap hit(say something like 3 years/$16.5million ) or a long term but smaller cap hit (6 years/24million)?
His wife is from Columbus right? Does he still have a home in Columbus or at least rent a place in Columbus during the off season? If yes, I wonder if he is fine coming to Columbus rather than going to a true contender and trying to get his Cup ring.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I do agree I want him back but not at the trade deadline. Better to keep your assets and maybe try in the Summer when he becomes a UFA. What's better, a short term but bigger cap hit(say something like 3 years/$16.5million ) or a long term but smaller cap hit (6 years/24million)?
His wife is from Columbus right? Does he still have a home in Columbus or at least rent a place in Columbus during the off season? If yes, I wonder if he is fine coming to Columbus rather than going to a true contender and trying to get his Cup ring.
Nash has said he plans to live in Columbus once he retires. (Letestu, too. Nice compliments to Columbus that they found here the place to call home).

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

As of a couple of years ago, I saw him at the US Senior Open at Scioto Country Club where he is a member so I do believe he still owns a house here and spends some time in the summer.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
If the cost of Duchene begins with Wennberg, then I am all in to see what else is needed to get the job done. Duchene 1C, Dubois 2C, Dubie 3C looks very decent down the middle. That would be exactly what we need to start the shakeup. I still think we would need a second line winger to go with Bjork if Milano is not going to be given that chance.

But a first line of Panarin, Duchene and Atkinson is strong. A third line of Foligno, Dubie and Anderson is respectable for a third line. But more would need to be done to complete the Bjork, Dubois second line.

Reactions: cbjfaninmo

cbjfaninmo

4 those about 2 rock
Mar 17, 2012
Lake of the Ozarks, MO
I have a sneaking suspicion that Jarmo will sit on his hands and use the prices we’re too high excuse, this team will miss the playoffs, and the organization will take a big step backwards. Pittsburgh may be in a different spot, but their GM knows when and how to get the job done, and I’m not so sure that Jarmo has that ability. This team has needed help since the end of the winning streak last season and Jarmo has failed to acquire the necessary pieces to push this team closer to post season success. Big fail in my book. Hopefully he can find a way to change that over the next couple of days.

I hope Jarmo is watching and learning.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
If the cost of Duchene begins with Wennberg, then I am all in to see what else is needed to get the job done. Duchene 1C, Dubois 2C, Dubie 3C looks very decent down the middle. That would be exactly what we need to start the shakeup. I still think we would need a second line winger to go with Bjork if Milano is not going to be given that chance.

But a first line of Panarin, Duchene and Atkinson is strong. A third line of Foligno, Dubie and Anderson is respectable for a third line. But more would need to be done to complete the Bjork, Dubois second line.

I wish Jarmo would read this and take all of this into consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad