Realistic trade options to fix our glaring weakness at the center position

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Surprised no one has picked this up yet, but Larry Brooks speculates that we could be interested in acquiring McDonagh

Still, even as Gorton weighs the immediate offers from known interested parties Tampa Bay and (still) Boston and perhaps Columbus and Winnipeg among unidentified suitors, it is jarring to know that McDonagh is now just another commodity on the market like an Evander Kane or a Max Pacioretty.

https://nypost.com/2018/02/20/ryan-...medium=site buttons&utm_campaign=site buttons

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
That's....interesting I guess. Torts loved the guy I know. But he's going to be a huge fish to get, meaning lots of assets. Do we have the room? Hell, do we even have the prospects? I'm not moving PLD, Bjorkstrand, or Jenner to a division rival. Abramov, while I am not a believer, could be a risky trade piece. I just don't see the fit, due to the price and the team. However, he would slot great in our 2nd pairing behind Z. A top 3 D core of McD, Jones, and Z?

Reactions: Sore Loser

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
That's....interesting I guess. Torts loved the guy I know. But he's going to be a huge fish to get, meaning lots of assets. Do we have the room? Hell, do we even have the prospects? I'm not moving PLD, Bjorkstrand, or Jenner to a division rival. Abramov, while I am not a believer, could be a risky trade piece. I just don't see the fit, due to the price and the team. However, he would slot great in our 2nd pairing behind Z. A top 3 D core of McD, Jones, and Z?

I agree with most of this.

Have to wonder though... Murray, Jenner, Milano...? Might be enough.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
“Get back to your career average, and our scoring will go up pretty good and I think we’ll score enough goals to get 31 points,” Kekalainen said Sunday before a 5-2 loss to the Pittsburgh Penguins. “We don’t have the snipers of some other teams, but we’ve been able to score from different lines, and that has been our strength.”
Thirty-one points is the total Kekalainen predicted the Jackets would need in their final 24 regular-season games to make the playoffs. As the NHL’s Feb. 26 trade deadline draws closer, two issues remain at the forefront for the Jackets: Will they acquire a scoring forward to boost their offense, and will they move defenseman Jack Johnson, who has asked to be traded?

Q: Are you going to try not to touch the core group of players. Is Boone Jenner still part of that group?
A: Yes, he’s an alternate captain for us. ... We’re happy with our core players as far as where they are in their career and what their projection is. We’ve talked about it many times this year: You’ve got to play to your level, and some of our guys have been below it. I still think they are going to get there. The biggest remedy for our team is to start playing on the level we should.

Q: Is it safe to say you don’t want to give up prospects with potential or young players for rentals?
A: No. Especially with the guys we have here. There could be a prospect that’s a reasonable price for somebody that’s a rental. A first-round pick was already in a trade last year. We don’t want to make a hole — that’s two years in a row. To me, that creates a huge hole in the depth chart, if you trade away your first-round pick two years in a row. I don’t think that would be wise for the future of the organization. That could be the price of a rental, as we’ve seen it in the past. The (Martin) Hanzal trade to Minnesota was for a first and a second last year.

Q: If that’s the price for a rental, you might get offered that for defenseman Jack Johnson, who is a pending unrestricted free agent. What do you do?
A: Then we’d have to make hard decisions and see what’s best for the organization.

Q: So you have enough defensive depth to negotiate from a position of strength?
A: When this debate started about Jack wanting to be traded, we said that we’re not just going to rent him out to another team for an insignificant future piece — I think I said second- or third-round pick. What’s that really going to do for our future, to take a way a big piece like Jack is on our defense — a strong, physical, warrior type of guy? But if the return is like you’ve seen on some rentals like Hanzal last year, we’d have to think about that. To pay that is harder for me because, you know, last year Minnesota paid that for Hanzal, who walks and goes to another team. You’ve got to really be in a position where you think, “OK, we’re really going (make a deep playoff run).”

Q: Are there any players on the current Blue Jackets roster, or prospects, you consider untouchable in trade talks?
A: I try to avoid the word untouchable. Everybody says, “Well, Wayne Gretzky was traded.” If you can make your club better, you’ve got to make tough decisions. I think we’ve done that in the past, shown that if it makes sense, then we’ll do it.
Q: How much have other teams inquired about Jack Johnson?
A: Defensemen and centers — that’s where you always start. And goalies don’t move a lot; there’s only 31 starting goalie spots. But defensemen and centers are always in high demand. You have to be careful, too. That’s been some of the lessons learned in my career — there’s not a lot of them around. ... In general, (defensemen) are in high demand. But you have to be careful what you wish for. You start trading one defenseman and then one centerman, and all of a sudden you’re like, “Oh s---, where can I find another one?” if it doesn’t go based on your projections. ... As much as we still love the Seth Jones-for-Ryan Johansen trade, then you’re looking for a center and it’s just hard to find them, especially a right-handed center with a lot of skills. It is. I’d make that deal in a second again, but it creates a big hole. (Derick) Brassard was a healthy scratch here before we traded him, and in the coach’s doghouse, everything. He’s a good center. ... If somebody offers a third-round pick (for Johnson) and that’s the best deal we’ve got? If that’s all somebody’s offering us for Jack, we’re not doing anything.

Blue Jackets | Jarmo Kekalainen offers his take on team

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
No thanks.

As for JK interview, he's still hoping his veterans will get going. 20 games left and he's still hoping.

Yeah, lets sign a 33 year old bottom 6 type. May as well bring back MacKenzie while we're at it.

Some bands should not be brought back together.

Reactions: Jackets Fan

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Scratch Grabner off the list of possible acquisitions for the CBJ.

He was just traded to the Devils. Yay...

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013

Lolololol.

1.) There’s absolutely no way that Panarin goes back to CHI via a trade this season, unless Patrick Kane is coming our way. I wouldn’t even trade Panarin for Toews straight up.

2.) I don’t think it’s logical to describe Korpi’s potential as “massive”.

3.) Korpi is 23, not 22.

Reactions: CPTN71

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus

Lolololol.

1.) There’s absolutely no way that Panarin goes back to CHI via a trade this season, unless Patrick Kane is coming our way. I wouldn’t even trade Panarin for Toews straight up.

2.) I don’t think it’s logical to describe Korpi’s potential as “massive”.

3.) Korpi is 23, not 22.

The dude has 209 followers lol

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
The only reason to get Anisimov is because of the chemistry he had with Panarin. Panarin isn't going anywhere until possibly this summer.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
I believe I read that Anisimov wasn't interested in a trade anyways (I think he has a NMC), so we aren't really options for Anisimov.

Whether we trade Panarin- Comes down to whether he wants to negotiate with us or be apart of this team- I won't pretend to know what his thoughts are... But, if he doesn't want to be around after next season- You have to consider and look at trading him, which is what CBJWennberg10 is probably getting at.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Not a big move but what about Gustav Nyquist for Det?

Nyquist’s advanced stats aren’t bad at all considering the team he plays for. I’ve been a fan of his for awhile. His contract is iffy. Especially the AAV and he plays solely on the LW. *I think our sole focus should be to acquire a center that can keep up with Artemi*

He has 16 goals this season which would be 2nd best on the team behind Artemi and Josh who are tied for first... (honestly have absolutely no idea how Andy has 17 goals but hey.. he does.)

I think Nyquist would be a sneaky trade option. But we’d have to buy low. I think his trade value is currently at an all time low. He’s signed thru next season. I think currently at the most, he’s worth a 2nd and a mid-tier/project prospect (Collins, Davidsson... although Davidsson should be viewed with much more potential than these other two, and Thurkauf).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad