Real Talk. I'm scared. Are you?

Are you scared?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
This team is on the verge of collapsing into the basement again. Just like Buffalo this year and last. Hot start, but unsustainable shooting %'s coupled with the least depth in the entirety of the NHL will do that to you.

Still so far away from actually being able to contend. Larsson isn't even a NHL quality player. Klefbom logs massive minutes, but on a contending team he is a third pairing guy. Nurse-Bear have both been VERY good, so at least we have that to look forward to.

Our forward group is a sick joke. 4 players who are capable of doing ANYTHING offensively when our entire lineup is healthy (Davo, Drai, RNH, Kass). Three lines that cannot produce anything at all. Just praying to go even which doesn't usually happen. Goaltending is a mess, defence is a mess sans 2 of the 6, and forwards are a mess sans 4 or 12.

We essentially have 13 players on 20 man roster who shouldn't be in the NHL. How do you expect to sustain what we are doing like that? Holland has a lot of work to do. This team is trash.

You lost me at Klefbom being a third pair defenseman. This team is really missing the 1.5 (I see McDavid, Drai & Nuge as top 6, and Neal and Kassian as "0.5" top 6) top 6 guys that are out right now, and every goalie has a bad game here or there (Koskinen last night).

ZenOil

Fast Twitch Hitch
Sep 23, 2010
Vancouver
I'm not terrified but I'm expecting them to implode. Based on the past 15 years you can't really blame anyone for thinking the worst.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
We'll be fine one Kass and Nuge come back. If you're looking for additions, check out Cap Friendly. We have very little cap space. Larsson is coming back from injury, give him 10 games to get back in shape before assuming he's worthless.

Unless you're looking at a Spooner-like Gagner trade, not much is going to happen.

Holland won't intentionally weaken the D by moving Nurse, Larsson or Russell for a forward and then trusting one of the younger players who's not been so great in the NHL with replacing those higher comp minutes.

Reactions: ElysiumAB

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
With that loss to Ottawa, Arizona pulled ahead of us.

Vegas seems to have found their groove, and are playing quite well. We're only 2 points ahead of them, and it's only a matter of time before they surpass us.

(I think Vancouver continues to flounder).

San Jose and Calgary are both surging again riding hot streaks I beleive are sustainable.
It's conceivable they both overtake us with the .500 hockey we've been playing.
upload_2019-12-6_15-13-39.png

Dallas and Minnesota WILL continue to surge up those standings, and one of them will likely claim a divisional spot.
Final Wildcard spot is the Jets to lose IMHO.

So yeah, we have nice padding, and have that thanksgiving stat on our side, but that 5-point cushion we have needs to hold up from now till the end of the year. Because I don't think we'll be gaining anymore ground on the teams behind us.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
11 pts in 10 games is a "reasonable skid"... that's the type of slump/skid that good/above average teams go on... instead of losing a half dozen games and falling out of the playoff picture completely where all that's left is a miracle comeback like St Louis had last year which happens once every 50 years.

This team is a decent/above average team and they will hang around with the rest of the decent/good teams all season long at that ~100 pt pace.

They aren't elite so I realistically didn't expect a cakewalk to the playoffs... but I still see no reason why this roster (when configured correctly and hopefully without too many key injures)... can't keep up that ~100 pt pace all season long.

As long as they stay away from those 4/5/6 game losing stretches... they are going to slide into a playoff spot just on the basis of their ability to be resilient and not falling into prolonged losing stretches.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
Exceeding my expectations of fighting for a spot.

That said, if McDavid or Leon go down for any amount of time I expect the team to struggle.

I still think the team will slip down to a wild card fight unless they can find a 2nd line winger
to help amp up the group.

Reactions: imtheboy

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
5-4-1 since November 15th.
For sure, right now our saving grace is that other teams have been taking turns falling apart while our team has just been holding steady.

Other teams will tighten up though, and we will see an underperforming team like Vegas, Calgary or San Jose challenge for divisional spots. Hopefully we can tighten up at the same time, or find a better mix, or find another player

Reactions: MessierII

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary
Honestly is anyone kinda worried that we seemed to be incredibly over reliant on the PP? We really need to improve our 5 on 5 play significantly. Granted while making the playoffs again would be a great feat I think we will be booted in the first round quickly unless something changes there. Hopefully Kas and Nuge returning will help there.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
I do not think we drop a ton, but I don't see us staying 1st. If Holland gets a solid second liner and a 3rd liner I will be much more confident. I hope this season does not go to waste for being "too patient"
Yup, I just hope for a second liner. We've got some assets to try and get one. Best to trade a d man I guess. Russell or benning would be my wish, with a draft pick. It's worth it if the right deal comes. Were too good a team to throw it all away cause of a big hole on the top wings.

That present second liner gets pushed to 3rd line making that stronger.

When your this close, ya make a move.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I'm scared.

In most areas of my life, certainly, but for these purposes I'm specifically referring to the Oilers.

Every person that roots for the team must be thrilled with the Oilers current position in the standings, blown away by the production of McDrai, more than satisfied with goaltending, happy with the new coach and GM, and still shocked (like really, really... really shocked) that our new GM traded a very expensive boat anchor to our division rival for a player that is currently tied for 10th in the league in goals.

The powerplay is currently first in the league at 32.5%, and the penalty kill is second in the league at 87.1%. I've heard coaches say the goal is to have the sum of those percentages be greater than 100%. The Oilers are currently at 119.6%

The team is 17-9-3, good enough for first place in the Pacific Division, which looks to be quite easily the worst division in the league. We've also just passed US Thanksgiving, which historically is somewhat of a significant predictor of playoff teams for the season.

But.....

For some reason, maybe it's just Oilers hockey PTSD... I can't help but also be waiting for the other skate to drop, and can't help be concerned that at some point, we'll be fighting for a wild card spot.

Surely things can't go this smoothly, can they?

The fact the oilers only have one more win than this time last year and so many people are happy should scare people.

Wheels are already starting to fall off

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
The fact the oilers only have one more win than this time last year and so many people are happy should scare people.

Wheels are already starting to fall off

The fact is the nature of their record last year was an obvious mirage. Last year this team was VERY streaky (both ways, with losing streaks becoming the norm after the dead cat bounce, defense injuries and further roster depletion). This has been a .500 team since the 5 win start. The special teams have kept up, d corp has been solid, and the goaltending has dipped a bit (particularly Smith) but still solid. They also survived the loss of two of their top 6 players that help keep things even 5v5 and allow Leon & Connor to play together in ES which is gamebreaking.

I see no need to make such baseless panic statements as "wheels are already beginning to fall off" unless and until we see a losing streak of more than 3 or 4.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Take it you did not watch the Ottawa or LA game

The wheels are wobley

I have watched every game. They didnt look good for half the Ottawa game and the same can be said for the LA game.
Of those 2 games they are 1 and 1.
Have you watched every game? I mean the team has been doing this all season.
Remember when they got destroyed by the Kings in LA? They bounced back and won. That wasnt the only bad game either...there have been a few.
They are learning how to win...that isnt a linear progression. There will be bad games.
I think its a bit hyperbolic to suggest that the wheels are falling off or even that they are wobbly.

As @Oilhawks said...wait until they put together a bunch of bad games in a row and lose most of them. Then I think its fair to suggest that the team has a problem.

Reactions: TB12 and Oilhawks

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I have watched every game. They didnt look good for half the Ottawa game and the same can be said for the LA game.
Of those 2 games they are 1 and 1.
Have you watched every game? I mean the team has been doing this all season.
Remember when they got destroyed by the Kings in LA? They bounced back and won. That wasnt the only bad game either...there have been a few.
They are learning how to win...that isnt a linear progression. There will be bad games.
I think its a bit hyperbolic to suggest that the wheels are falling off or even that they are wobbly.

As @Oilhawks said...wait until they put together a bunch of bad games in a row and lose most of them. Then I think its fair to suggest that the team has a problem.
I'd say the opposite.

With our history, we should wait to string together a bunch of strong games before we can be convinced our team is legit.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
The team clearly has something different pushing it this year. I'd hazard a guess it has to do with all the stability and respect Holland brought to the franchise. Coupled with Tippett, and two of the best players in the league with great special teams and the ability to forget a bad game and bounce back, I see no reason why people shouldn't be excited this year.

This is what you endured the last 15 years of bush league horseshit for. The light, and the end of the tunnel. It's finally coming. Enjoy it.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
The team clearly has something different pushing it this year. I'd hazard a guess it has to do with all the stability and respect Holland brought to the franchise. Coupled with Tippett, and two of the best players in the league with great special teams and the ability to forget a bad game and bounce back, I see no reason why people shouldn't be excited this year.

This is what you endured the last 15 years of bush league horse**** for. The light, and the end of the tunnel. It's finally coming. Enjoy it.

Well, both wildcard spots are very likely going to Central teams. So we NEED to be top 3 of the Pacific to sniff the playoffs. I don't see us having more points that Winnipeg, Dallas, or Minny.

I believe the Knights will overtake us by January. And Calgary is riding a 4 Game winning streak.
(they're Also the team that lead the conference last season).
Also San Jose managed to climb out of an abysmal start.

I think the chances we make the playoffs gets slimmer and slimmer.

Unless we go on some insane 10 game winning streak (which I don't see possibly with this group), I honestly don't think we'll be in the playoffs.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I'd say the opposite.

With our history, we should wait to string together a bunch of strong games before we can be convinced our team is legit.

Thats only because there is no demarcation for you.
It desont make sense to blend in what happened before Tippett and Holland arrived.
The system and the teams attention to detail is completely different...thats been evident since the first few games of the season.

I am a little perplexed how you can claim that this is the same team we saw in years past.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
hate to say it but the Oilers will soon take their rightful place in the division battling the LA Kings for the bottom as other teams start making a run at the top....won't be long now ! o_O

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad