Real Talk. I'm scared. Are you?

Are you scared?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
This home stand is huge. They need to make hay in December because the schedule screams collapse in the second half. If they can stay hot through December, they should be able to comfortably make the playoffs, which I would be over the moon with.

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
Definitely worried with just 7 points between #1 and #6 in the division. The standings could change dramatically in just a few weeks and we could end up sitting below Vancouver and Calgary.

Right now I'd bet on the Oilers making the playoffs but I wouldn't bet much. Maybe $10.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I'm not worried. As the season has gone on we've slowly seen players not including McDrai provide more offense for the team.
We'll make it into the playoffs.
I really donno if it makes sense to make a trade this year, though.
The salary cap is getting confusing.
Players want escrow to drop so we could be in for a few more hard years before we see the cap rise significantly.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
I think they're good.

I think the other teams they're competing with will improve and I doubt that many teams will throw the Oilers a bone to compensate so I think they will be in tough down the stretch.

They deserve to be where they are though. Now the league will compensate.
How will other teams improve? The oilers will not be throwing them a bone either. The oilers are the one on top and in a position of strength. If anything the teams trying to grab the wild card spots will be throwing bones at us for minor upgrades.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Definitely worried with just 7 points between #1 and #6 in the division. The standings could change dramatically in just a few weeks and we could end up sitting below Vancouver and Calgary.

Right now I'd bet on the Oilers making the playoffs but I wouldn't bet much. Maybe $10.
Sitting below calgary? I think the flames will be worried about scouting a top 5 player and be at the bottom of the league within weeks if they don't get a proper coach in place soon.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
This is a good team. We've got a great schedule coming up for the month of December. Things are looking up.

The team has flaws, yes. But it also has strengths in areas which used to be weaknesses. Coaching. Goaltending. Defence. And of course the two best players in the league.

Reactions: Oilhawks

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
If you really want to worry, look at our last December :)

Edmonton Oilers - Statistics

Right now, at game 29 we have as many points as last year at game 32, 37 points. We won game 33 but it took until Game 40 on Jan 2nd to get another win.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I've been on the "Oilers are a ~100 pt team" bandwagon since the season started... and I see no reason to stop believing that now.

Maybe I get some false confidence from doing a stats analysis of the organization before the season began which showed that an optimum roster on the Oilers should be able to put up a goals differential of ~+23 (270 GF and 247 GA).

So far the team is getting phenomenal special teams support as well as excellent goaltending from Koskinen... and decent goaltending from Smith. Obviously Drai and McD have been off the charts good offensively so far as well... both on pace for 140+ pts which probably isn't sustainable... but who knows.

Goals for/game is 15th and goals against/game is 11th which points to a team that is likely slightly overachieving in the standings BUT all that matters in the end is wins and losses and pts in the standings.. and if you win more tight 1 goal games than you lose... that likely gets you into a playoff spot... even if you lose a few blowouts along the way.

I think the team has a solid level of resilience this year as evidenced by the fact that they still haven't lost 3 games in a row at nearly the 30 game mark of the season which is something we certainly didn't see from past Oilers teams. Previous Oiler teams would get into prolonged funks and sewer all hopes of playoffs and it was back to talking about draft prospects by the turn of the calendar... not so this season it appears.

I think injuries are the obvious huge variable that can't be known... if key players go down for extended periods... well they are likely going to fall in the standings but that simply can't be accounted for as injuries are largely random situations... although higher minute players likely have higher chances of getting injured just by the laws of probability... so having a better balanced lineup and not depending on just a few key players is obviously more optimal.

I still think this roster hasn't settled into the best set of 12 forwards and 6 dmen.. I think there are several down in Bakersfield that would help this roster and I still think the roster overall is still gelling and developing better chemistry as the season progresses... and will get better just as other teams in the league will likely "harden" their rosters as well in the 2nd half.

So long story short... yes I still feel they can put up a ~100 point season which will put them into the playoffs. They've been at that pace or better all season long and I see no reason to think that can't continue.

Last edited:

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I've been on the "Oilers are a ~100 pt team" bandwagon since the season started... and I see no reason to stop believing that now.

Maybe I get some false confidence from doing a stats analysis of the organization before the season began which showed that an optimum roster on the Oilers should be able to put up a goals differential of ~+23 (270 GF and 247 GA).

So far the team is getting phenomenal special teams support as well as excellent goaltending from Koskinen... and decent goaltending from Smith. Obviously Drai and McD have been off the charts good offensively so far as well... both on pace for 140+ pts which probably isn't sustainable... but who knows.

Goals for/game is 15th and goals against/game is 11th which points to a team that is likely slightly overachieving in the standings BUT all that matters in the end is wins and losses and pts in the standings.. and if you win more tight 1 goal games than you lose... that likely gets you into a playoff spot... even if you lose a few blowouts along the way.

I think the team has a solid level of resilience this year as evidenced by the fact that the still haven't lost 3 games in a row at nearly the 30 game mark of the season which is something we certainly didn't see from past Oilers teams. Previous Oiler teams would get into prolonged funks and sewer all hopes of playoffs and it was back to talking about draft prospects by the turn of the calendar... not so this season it appears.

I think injuries are the obvious huge variable that can't be known... if key players go down for extended periods... well they are likely going to fall in the standings but that simply can't be accounted for as injuries are largely random situations... although higher minute players likely have higher chances of getting injured just by the laws of probability... so having a better balanced lineup and not depending on just a few key players is obviously more optimal.

I still think this roster hasn't settled into the best set of 12 forwards and 6 dmen.. I think there are several down in Bakersfield that would help this roster and I still think the roster overall is still gelling and developing better chemistry as the season progresses... and will get better just as other teams in the league will likely "harden" their rosters as well in the 2nd half.

So long story short... yes I still feel they can put up a ~100 point season which will put them into the playoffs. They've been at that pace or better all season long and I see no reason to think that can't continue.
Aptly put. I feel the same trepidation as many long time Oiler fans. No thought whatsoever just hope they take a significant step forward by making the playoffs.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
They're doing way better than I expected, so I'm not worried yet. I am expecting a crash to come in some form, but they've rebounded so far. I'll be worried (maybe resigned is a better word) if they go on a four game losing streak or closely repeated two or three game loss streaks. I was admittedly pretty resigned during the Saturday van game.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
No i am not scared. Sustainable this sustainable that. I thought the Islanders season last year was unsustainable? They look even better. Drai's season last year was also supposedly unsustainable. Looks like he's doing even better as well.

Reactions: nexttothemoon

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Not a proper option for how I feel. I never thought this team would make Playoffs. They might squeeze in, but I am not really going to base my expectations around that. I expected them to finish with around 82-90 points with this team. It's not really that good of a team, we've just been doing really well.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
This game against Ottawa can't be swept under the rug. Combined with all the other losses this team has had against basement dwellers it's pretty evident the teams record is a bit of a mirage.

The Oilers are not a "great" team despite being #1 in the division. They have lived off a great schedule and are just barely staying ahead of the pack.

Extremely easy to see this team missing the playoffs after games like this, and others.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad