Real Talk. I'm scared. Are you?

Are you scared?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
I'm scared.

In most areas of my life, certainly, but for these purposes I'm specifically referring to the Oilers.

Every person that roots for the team must be thrilled with the Oilers current position in the standings, blown away by the production of McDrai, more than satisfied with goaltending, happy with the new coach and GM, and still shocked (like really, really... really shocked) that our new GM traded a very expensive boat anchor to our division rival for a player that is currently tied for 10th in the league in goals.

The powerplay is currently first in the league at 32.5%, and the penalty kill is second in the league at 87.1%. I've heard coaches say the goal is to have the sum of those percentages be greater than 100%. The Oilers are currently at 119.6%

The team is 17-9-3, good enough for first place in the Pacific Division, which looks to be quite easily the worst division in the league. We've also just passed US Thanksgiving, which historically is somewhat of a significant predictor of playoff teams for the season.

But.....

For some reason, maybe it's just Oilers hockey PTSD... I can't help but also be waiting for the other skate to drop, and can't help be concerned that at some point, we'll be fighting for a wild card spot.

Surely things can't go this smoothly, can they?

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I definitely don't think the Oilers are as good as their record says but they're pretty close to the point where going .500 the rest of the way would mean a playoff spot.

Looking good on a 1 season sample but there is certainly work to do for the long term.

oil4life97

Aug 10, 2005
Special teams and team defence is much improved and looks to be fairly sustainable. I’m hoping Holland will make some sort of a move at the deadline to bolster this squad. Who knows maybe that correct move will be calling up Benson, he’s getting ripe.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I'm scared.

In most areas of my life, certainly, but for these purposes I'm specifically referring to the Oilers.

Every person that roots for the team must be thrilled with the Oilers current position in the standings, blown away by the production of McDrai, more than satisfied with goaltending, happy with the new coach and GM, and still shocked (like really, really... really shocked) that our new GM traded a very expensive boat anchor to our division rival for a player that is currently tied for 10th in the league in goals.

The powerplay is currently first in the league at 32.5%, and the penalty kill is second in the league at 87.1%. I've heard coaches say the goal is to have the sum of those percentages be greater than 100%. The Oilers are currently at 119.6%

The team is 17-9-3, good enough for first place in the Pacific Division, which looks to be quite easily the worst division in the league. We've also just passed US Thanksgiving, which historically is somewhat of a significant predictor of playoff teams for the season.

But.....

For some reason, maybe it's just Oilers hockey PTSD... I can't help but also be waiting for the other skate to drop, and can't help be concerned that at some point, we'll be fighting for a wild card spot.

You are right to be afraid. This team is not as good as their record suggests. Schedule, luck, and just finding ways to win has been the story as much as all the good things you mention.

No things can't go this smoothly and I will be shocked if they do.

Oilers need to capitalize on a very weak schedule in 2019 and be prepared for bumpy roads in 2020.

Just look at similiar teams in Vancouver, Montreal, and Buffalo. We are one extended losing streak away from being in the same boat.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I definitely don't think the Oilers are as good as their record says but they're pretty close to the point where going .500 the rest of the way would mean a playoff spot.

Looking good on a 1 season sample but there is certainly work to do for the long term.

I think they're good.

I think the other teams they're competing with will improve and I doubt that many teams will throw the Oilers a bone to compensate so I think they will be in tough down the stretch.

They deserve to be where they are though. Now the league will compensate.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I know your feeling. I think we are probably a playoff team but its hard to not be pessimistic about it. We dont have consistent effortts. We start every game poorly. We struggle to win against "weaker" teams. The one saving grace from this team is that we have been able to stop the bleeding from a losing streak. Its what has done us in, in the past.

One concern for me is the goaltending. Smith has dropped off dramatically. Hes ok but its clear to me at this point that hes a backup (which is fine). Hopefully Koskinen holds up, hes been great this year. At the same time he had stretches of good play last year but ultimately he got ran into the ground. I think Tippett needs to start playing him more, but whats the correct level to play him? He got tired down the stretch last year, was that his transition to the NHL in his first year or he cant handle the load of a #1 G?

I think the PK can keep up. It will likely dip a bit but if the goaltending holds up, we should be fine.

I think the PP is fine and will continue to be good. It will likely dip at some point. I am less concerned about the PP% but more concerned about the amount of calls we draw.

Bottom 6 is starting to contribute more but still not at the point we would like. At this point, they are not bleeding goals against 5 on 5. Hopefully that keeps up.

Defense is holding together. Hopefully no injuries to Klefbom, Nurse or Bear.

I think the dread comes from the thought of a McDavid and/or Draisaitl injury.

I cant really see us doing much in the playoffs until we get a legit top 6 winger for Nuge, but I think its important that we make the playoffs and keep building. We dont have to win the cup this year.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
T7Nh3HU.gif

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I think they're good.

I think the other teams they're competing with will improve and I doubt that many teams will throw the Oilers a bone to compensate so I think they will be in tough down the stretch.

They deserve to be where they are though. Now the league will compensate.

I see a lot of similarities to the 2017 team. A largely mediocre side being propped up by elite goaltending and the best player to enter the league in 30 years. This years squad has better special teams but somehow even worse depth players.

That team made the playoffs comfortably but then it fell apart pretty quickly after that.

Reactions: imtheboy

Ck1

Feb 10, 2018
Edmonton
We’re not as good skill wise as our record would indicate, just goes to show how a coach and his system can make a team better. The team seams to be buying into tippett system and it’s showing in there record

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
I'm not scared per se because this is just entertainment. But I don't think the Oilers are what their record shows.

They give up way too many shots and chances. But I will take the wins, and as someone stated earlier they are almost at the point where .500 will get them to the playoffs and they are a .500 team IMO.

I'm cheering for playoffs!

Reactions: LucaBrasil

dem

Mar 17, 2002
We have a winnable December.. and we need to find a way to take advantage. If we go on a bit of a run here... it will be pretty hard to knock us out of the playoff picture.

That said.. I think we are more of a wildcard team than Division winner. We will see.

We still have 5 games against Calgary... I can't believe we haven't played them yet.

Reactions: imtheboy

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
I do not think we drop a ton, but I don't see us staying 1st. If Holland gets a solid second liner and a 3rd liner I will be much more confident. I hope this season does not go to waste for being "too patient"

Reactions: oilexport

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Considering that no one was expecting us to do this well, I'll take it.

The one major difference between now and 2017 is that we have Holland, not Chia. We've also got Tippet, who is killing it right off the bat (unlike McLellan, whose first season here wound up in a Top 5 Lotto Pick). This can be the perfect building year to help shape us into a Division Contender next year and a SC contender the year after that.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Oilers PTSD will have everyone worried I expect and things aren't going all that smoothly ( see losses to Florida, Chicago, Detroit, Minnesota, San Jose and Colorado as examples 1 thru 6 ), we still have a lot of growing to do to reach Very Good Team status but we do seem to have Good Team status that should compete for the playoffs barring major meltdown or major injury to McDavid or Draisatl.

All I wanted out of this year was to see the OBC removed from power, check, and be competitive for a playoff spot, which so far is a check. We have a lot of good prospects on the way and a GM with a patient approach who is clearly getting this thing back on track.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I'm scared.

But.....

Get someone to give you a hug. You'll be fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->