Real Madrid - Liverpool: CL Final 26th May

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Mind you, Roma and City fans could have a word as well.
Sure, and this is my point. People will always complain about reffing if the end result doesn't go their way (again, there were plenty of influential non-calls that didn't go Liverpool's way in those ties). The reality is that there is no consistent level of reffing, and as someone who wanted Real Madrid to lose against Juventus I think it's pretty funny that people still don't think that Benatia's 'tackle' was a penalty (it was, unfortunately) or ignore that Real Madrid had a good goal called offside. Real Madrid are not in the final because of reffing (Bayern can only blame themselves for not finishing after outplaying RM, and PSG were just outplayed).

At the end of the day there will be bad calls. Have to play through it and hope it evens out. It is what it is.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Sure, and this is my point. People will always complain about reffing if the end result doesn't go their way (again, there were plenty of influential non-calls that didn't go Liverpool's way in those ties). The reality is that there is no consistent level of reffing, and as someone who wanted Real Madrid to lose against Juventus I think it's pretty funny that people still don't think that Benatia's 'tackle' was a penalty (it was, unfortunately) or ignore that Real Madrid had a good goal called offside. Real Madrid are not in the final because of reffing (Bayern can only blame themselves for not finishing after outplaying RM, and PSG were just outplayed).

At the end of the day there will be bad calls. Have to play through it and hope it evens out. It is what it is.

Geez, you sure you aren’t a Madrid fan? :sarcasm:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

They most definitely are considering the PK. and they won 2 championships because of that but you know f*** facts.

Reactions: Evilo

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
When you get all the favourable calls and barely beat teams, yes, Real reached the final partly thanks to reffing.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
And? How does that change the FACT Bayern had an obvious penalty (which would have been the difference) wrongly not called?
It did come down to one play (that often happens with big matches mind you). And as usual, it went Real's way.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
And? How does that change the FACT Bayern had an obvious penalty (which would have been the difference) wrongly not called?
It did come down to one play (that often happens with big matches mind you). And as usual, it went Real's way.

I’ve already pointed out how I’m not 100% whether or not Marcelo was in the box or not and how much it would’ve affected the game. If he’s actually outside the box(which it looked like in a screenshot in one of LH’s posts) than it’s not nearly the game changing decision it’s made out to be. I definitely agree that it was a hand ball, but as we saw in the Liverpool tie, handballs are never called consistently.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I’ve already pointed out how I’m not 100% whether or not Marcelo was in the box or not and how much it would’ve affected the game. If he’s actually outside the box(which it looked like in a screenshot in one of LH’s posts) than it’s not nearly the game changing decision it’s made out to be. I definitely agree that it was a hand ball, but as we saw in the Liverpool tie, handballs are never called consistently.
It takes less than 3 seconds to google a clip that he's in the box... at this point you either don't want to see it or just don't care.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
He’s right on the edge of the box. I’ve said it could go either way. But whatever.
No he's in the box... it hit his hand which was further away from the ball. It's plain to see.

We went from not a handball to handball but ball to hand and now he wasn't in the box ... lol

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
No he's in the box... it hit his hand which was further away from the ball. It's plain to see.

We went from not a handball to handball but ball to hand and now he wasn't in the box ... lol

I’ve never said it didn’t hit his hand :laugh: seriously? My entire argument has been whether he was in the box or not, but you can put words in my mouth if you like.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I’ve never said it didn’t hit his hand :laugh: seriously? My entire argument has been whether he was in the box or not, but you can put words in my mouth if you like.

Didn't say you did... this board did though. Which is hilarious. I mean we can't even get down that he was in the box.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

And you’re going to ignore the clearly onside goal that got called back for Real against Juve. Every team in the final 4 has had a calls go against them. Every team that wins the CL has calls that go in their favor and against them, it’s the nature of the beast.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
And you’re going to ignore the clearly onside goal that got called back for Real against Juve. Every team in the final 4 has had a calls go against them. Every team that wins the CL has calls that go in their favor and against them, it’s the nature of the beast.

Basically and almost all referees are trash. They're way more trash in favor of RM though.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
But just for the last few years right? I mean they went what 15 years without a UCL title, so it makes sense why they started paying refs again.

They always favored RM. Problem is the team wasn't good enough for it to matter. In that game Liverpool beat them 4-0 I remember it not even mattering what the referee would do because they never had the ball. That was probably Liverpool's most impressive win in modern times until the first Roma game. However, in the game that Liverpool beat them 1-0 at the Bernabeu, the referee was incredibly harsh and Liverpool were pretty much under pressure the entire game.

If their team wasn't actually good people wouldn't even notice really. As that relates to the final it's hard for me to worry about the game, I feel pretty good about it. See I remember a weak Liverpool team going to Barcelona and winning 2-1. I remember them wrecking Inter Milan too and giving Ibra hell. Those are my European memories, I'm sure the game will be close. I'm also sure Klopp has a plan considering this is his third European final. The team may not be experienced in these but he sure is. Third time's the charm and all that and a manager of his quality getting these chances, it's bound to happen sooner or later.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I'm also sure Klopp has a plan considering this is his third European final. The team may not be experienced in these but he sure is. Third time's the charm and all that and a manager of his quality getting these chances, it's bound to happen sooner or later.

I really don’t want you guys to win but I’m confident that you’ll make it a good game for Madrid. Do I think this game will come down to one reffing call? No. Do I think it comes down to one mistake or moment of brilliance? Yes. I think Madrid has a good chance of getting the three peat but no way will it end in a blowout.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad