Real Madrid - Liverpool: CL Final 26th May

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
What did Ronaldo do outside of Madrid that was so special? Win a CL by missing a penalty and cried while his teammates celebrated? Win the Euro because some guy scored out of nowhere after he went off injured? There's nothing wrong with him being the #2, but he is the #2.
cristiano-ronaldo-euro-2016-portugal_3741695.jpg

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Portugal doesn't make it anywhere without Ronaldo, meanwhile, Argentina is still a powerhouse without Messi, and Messi doesn't tip the scales for them.

Yes, the Ronaldo who got bumped out of the last WC by the mighty USA while Argentina were in the final. The final that Portugal wins was one where Ronaldo was taken off injured. Yes of course it's all because of him.

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
Portugal doesn't make it anywhere without Ronaldo, meanwhile, Argentina is still a powerhouse without Messi, and Messi doesn't tip the scales for them.

What the hell has Ronaldo done for Portugal. Again their win the 2016 euros is moot, he played 15 minutes in the finals. Pretty sure the guy who scored wasn’t named Ronaldo.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
He's far better technically. Ronaldo is smarter at getting into the best goalscoring position though, and the teams are built to put him in those positions. Messi is also less selfish and would never constantly take free kicks even though he sucks at them.

RM has also put together a better team than Barcelona, which is ultimately what matters most as to why Ronaldo was in this game and Messi was not.

Messi is definitely far better than Ronaldo technically, but Ronaldo is far, far better in the air.

They both have very different strengths, but I'd say overall as a player it's not reasonable to call Messi "far better" than Ronaldo.

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
he asked the question, and I answered.
He soley was responsible to get his coutry to Brazil, and you say it was "irrelevant"?
okay.:huh:

He got a soccer laden country to the World Cup. Teams like Portugal shouldn’t always be fighting for there lives when it comes to making these tournaments.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
He got a soccer laden country to the World Cup. Teams like Portugal shouldn’t always be fighting for there lives when it comes to making these tournaments.

I'm glad someone said this part too. Portugal with those players and specifically a player that great, having to play in a playoff twice during the Ronaldo era, is actually pretty sad.

Messi is definitely far better than Ronaldo technically, but Ronaldo is far, far better in the air.

They both have very different strengths, but I'd say overall as a player it's not reasonable to call Messi "far better" than Ronaldo.

Yeah that's fair. #1 and #2 for me are pretty clear though. It's still funny this would come up, VVD and Lovren both didn't even let Ronaldo have a sniff, so it feels like a weird time for this repetitive discussion.

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
so?
how does that take away from his performance to get them there?

It doesn’t take away anything, you are just grasping for straws in order to prove a point. Ronaldo has done the same for Portugal that Messi has done for Argentina.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
What's messi edone outside Barcelona?

Won a gold medal. Didn't do it from the sidelines either. Played in the World Cup final, had a goof miss a sitter that would have won them the WC. Just shows how dependent team successes are upon the players TEAMMATES.

This game today should have taught everyone the value of teammates. Ronaldo did nothing, Benzema had good pressures to capitalize on a mistake, and Bale scored a worldie. Modric's tiki-taka was also perfect.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
you'd think a country like Argentina with a squad that consists of Sergio Aguero, Gonzalo Higuain, Ezequiel Lavezzi, Javier Mascherano, Angel Di Maria, Ricardo Alvarez , Pablo Zabaleta would win the Copa America at least?
add in, as you say, the greatest of all time Messi, they are sure fire, sadly not the case.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
He is though. Ronaldo is a fantastic player, he's just unlucky to play in the same era as the goat Messi.

You know, from a certain perspective even someone who feels that Messi is/was indeed better may look at it in the opposite view.

One could say, that now matter how much better Messi was everyone in his era, or history, there was this other player who somehow matched, or bettered everything Messi has done.

Maybe Messi is unlucky to play in Ronaldo’s, era or he might have 10 straight ballon dor. It’s just another valid way to see it.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Stop comparing Messi and Ronaldo. This thread isnt about that. A much more important topic is concussion protocol in the sport. We saw it in the WC final with Kramer ans now this match.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
you'd think a country like Argentina with a squad that consists of Sergio Aguero, Gonzalo Higuain, Ezequiel Lavezzi, Javier Mascherano, Angel Di Maria, Ricardo Alvarez , Pablo Zabaleta would win the Copa America at least?

No because I watched the games and saw why they didn't. I will drop some knowledge.

In 2007, the tournament I thought they should have won, Brazil pulled a complete tactical surprise on them, then they got better when one of their players got hurt and Alves came in. Argentina scored an own goal trying to clear the ball and the rest is history.

In 2011 they had pretty much the worst manager I've ever seen. They still should have won, but anyway, a game against Uruguay goes to PK and Tevez misses.

2015, played well, got to Final, Messi is the only penalty taker who makes their penalty. Rest of them miss. Big lol there.

2016, Messi finally become a reason they don't win when he misses a penalty. Still, Vidal misses one as well, and the game is subsequently decided when Biglia misses. However, the referee pretty much allowed butcher football all game, so nobody really had the chance to create anything on either team.

Also usually their managers never pick the best teams because they're idiots. As was said though, there's no point to this discussion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad