Real Madrid - Liverpool: CL Final 26th May

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
Stop comparing Messi and Ronaldo. This thread isnt about that. A much more important topic is concussion protocol in the sport. We saw it in the WC final with Kramer ans now this match.

At least they had a replacement from Kramner. Putting migs is in like putting a cone in there.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
No because I watched the games and saw why they didn't. I will drop some knowledge.

In 2007, the tournament I thought they should have won, Brazil pulled a complete tactical surprise on them, then they got better when one of their players got hurt and Alves came in. Argentina scored an own goal trying to clear the ball and the rest is history.

In 2011 they had pretty much the worst manager I've ever seen. They still should have won, but anyway, a game against Uruguay goes to PK and Tevez misses.

2015, played well, got to Final, Messi is the only penalty taker who makes their penalty. Rest of them miss. Big lol there.

2016, Messi finally become a reason they don't win when he misses a penalty. Still, Vidal misses one as well, and the game is subsequently decided when Biglia misses. However, the referee pretty much allowed butcher football all game, so nobody really had the chance to create anything on either team.

Also usually their managers never pick the best teams because they're idiots. As was said though, there's no point to this discussion.
all I read was coulda, woulda, shoulda.
"drop some knowledge"...:laugh:
always excuses

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
all I read was coulda, woulda, shoulda.
"drop some knowledge"...:laugh:
always excuses

None of the knowledge I can give you is something you'll understand, that much is clear. When talking about what Ronaldo won, you posted a picture of him lifting a trophy after some game he barely played in where his teammate scored the winner. Nani scored as many goals as him in that tournament btw.

Didn't score today either but it doesn't matter because you're nutriding some player who doesn't even play for your club. Have some self respect.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Now this is over, I would like Klopp to focus on the league. Bring in Fekir and another depth attacker. A 6 and possibly a goalie and centerback.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Now this is over, I would like Klopp to focus on the league. Bring in Fekir and another depth attacker. A 6 and possibly a goalie and centerback.

I don't think it works like that. I think there is no real priority until it gets to around March or April. We need depth, but that will help in every game. Klopp has to know without question that our depth isn't good enough. He only used two substitutions, which says it all. I expect that Liverpool will be in the CL knockout rounds next season as well, then it's game on once again.

Another crucial aspect is that they will now have some experience of these situations.

Reactions: robertmac43

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
[QUOTE="Live in the Now, post: 146323539, member: 32502"]None of the knowledge I can give you is something you'll understand, that much is clear. When talking about what Ronaldo won, you posted a picture of him lifting a trophy after some game he barely played in where his teammate scored the winner. Nani scored as many goals as him in that tournament btw.

Didn't score today either but it doesn't matter because you're nutriding some player who doesn't even play for your club. Have some self respect.[/QUOTE]

you have none to give.

anyway, time to end this conversation, ..good game with a spectacular goal.
sorry your team lost.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Defending and goalkeeping on most of these goals are nowhere near modern standards. I think most people have never watched them. Half of these goals would never be scored in 2018 and there is a reason Messi only ever scored one goal like the England one, because the average player is now too good for that to happen. Does anyone think he would score a goal like the Belgium one in the World Cup SF today? Hell no. First of all practically every quality keeper now would save it. I mean no disrespect but people really should watch these. There are instances of players standing right next to him that basically have no tenacity and don't ever challenge for the ball. Another in the Final where he gets the ball 1 v 1 practically at the halfway line. No defense would EVER allow that today.

Mexico was high altitude and hot. It wore out players quickly. Maradona being smallish and fast could make everyone look a little slower in comparison,

Carl Carlson

Jan 7, 2009
Guess liverpool are getting a new goalie now. Can't bring him back after that. The injury to Mo completely changed the game. Bale's goal though was incredible.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Stop comparing Messi and Ronaldo. This thread isnt about that. A much more important topic is concussion protocol in the sport. We saw it in the WC final with Kramer ans now this match.

Agreed. Soccer seem to be behind when it comes to handling concussions.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
I don't think it works like that. I think there is no real priority until it gets to around March or April. We need depth, but that will help in every game. Klopp has to know without question that our depth isn't good enough. He only used two substitutions, which says it all. I expect that Liverpool will be in the CL knockout rounds next season as well, then it's game on once again.

Another crucial aspect is that they will now have some experience of these situations.
Depth has been an issue for the past two seasons. If they get Fekir, they still need another forward that can rotate with the other three. If they dont buy another midfielder, they always have games where TAA plays there and have Clyne at rightback.

Everyone Klopp has bought bar Karius has been good.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Mexico was high altitude and hot. It wore out players quickly. Maradona being smallish and fast could make everyone look a little slower in comparison,

Watch these ones then. There's some great goals here, but the same criticisms apply, and Argentina wasn't at altitude. The defenses stretch themselves out far more than the modern game would consider to be rational, and they aren't able to cover the same ground that defenders can cover now. The likes of van Dijk and Boateng can cover that space in just a few strides whereas some of these players look like they're killing themselves just to run back.

I guess what my overall point is, is that a super athlete of the time is obviously going to succeed to great enough extent to become legendary, look at what they're playing against.

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
Again for all the talk about how good Ronaldo is, he got shut down by Dejan lovren, he was klopps third choice center back at sometimes and fourth at some points this year.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Some angry Pool fans tweeted some disgusting stuff to Karius.

Wtf

That’s angry people in general. Someone’s misery goes far deeper than pain of losing a football final when you wish a young mans children cancer. He’s not good enough to be a #1 for a club with aspirations to be at the top. Not crime enough for that garbage.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Whether someone sees it as purely intentional, somewhat intentional or not at all intentional, hardmen will for decades before Ramos and decades after Ramos target superstars in big games.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Depth has been an issue for the past two seasons. If they get Fekir, they still need another forward that can rotate with the other three. If they dont buy another midfielder, they always have games where TAA plays there and have Clyne at rightback.

Everyone Klopp has bought bar Karius has been good.

Karius was good, until today. Could have been the effects of a concussion because the things that happened were so irrational. The only concussion I ever had, I don't remember anything about the game after that point. I just remember staying in and playing out the game. Karius also made good plays in the game besides that. His first rush out which was ultimately offside was good, and there was an incident where Milner mis hit a back pass that he was extremely quick to run out to boot away. When I said all that stuff about his mistakes I didn't realize Ramos went in there to kill his brain, which does change things. That also isn't whining because it's right on video and everyone can see what happened. Klopp will know if Karius was injured or not, or if he has the mentality to bounce back. He's been a pretty good judge of the character of each of his players.

Ultimately, you have to take the good with the bad. The final result was bad, but everything to get there was extraordinary, and we should be proud. I am absolutely sick of losing these finals, but frankly I never thought Liverpool would ever get anywhere near this point again. After the Kenny stuff and them hiring Rodgers to replace him I'd pretty much accepted that Liverpool would probably never play CL football again. Instead the first year Klopp puts them in the CL, they give it a full whack and make the final. Last summer and winter was also heavily displeasing as a fan with one player acting like a f***ing bitch. It's surreal, all things considered, but this won't be the last huge game. There will be many more.

The other thing about Karius is, I like him. It's not irrational either. First preseason game he played, I was there, he breaks his hand. He tried to stay in the game even though it was preseason. He comes back way too early and plays shit, so Klopp benches him. I guess Karius deserved that because he shouldn't have been playing. So Mignolet plays great to finish last season and Karius has to wait some more. He comes in, takes his chance, plays great...until someone elbows his brains in. They do have to get a new keeper because Mignolet is leaving, but I don't think I want to throw Karius to the wolves yet. I'm also usually the first guy to throw a bad keeper under the bus. He's also kept improving as the season has gone on. Another very important factor is that VVD and Lovren like him.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Some angry Pool fans tweeted some disgusting stuff to Karius.

Wtf

They're a disgrace. Wish someone would elbow them in the head as hard as they could and send them to go do their job. Wonder how they'd do.

That’s angry people in general. Someone’s misery goes far deeper than pain of losing a football final when you wish a young mans children cancer. He’s not good enough to be a #1 for a club with aspirations to be at the top. Not crime enough for that garbage.

Not true or they wouldn't have gotten there. Buffon shit the bed just as bad in last year's final. There were people who weren't Liverpool fans who said Karius should have been in the German WC squad.

Keylor Navas has also been bad this season, and he's just won a third CL trophy running. Shit happens sometimes, and if Karius had a concussion from getting brained, it changes everything.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Obviously my point is that regardless of perceptions of Karius’ quality, or lack of, wish his kids cancer is unacceptable.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Ah...what a heartbreaking defeat. I think the occasion proved too much for Karius, which is too bad given he'd been playing so well up to this point. It pretty much seals the deal on his Liverpool career as well. I felt for him a little as he was crying and apologizing to the fans, despite being furious at the same time that such hard work could all be undone by brainfarts of the highest caliber.

I thought that Lovren, Robertson, Wijnaldum and Mane were our best players today. That people still don't understand what Wijnaldum does so well is pretty telling, but I won't go into it again. He played his role almost perfectly, he set up Mane's post shot with a lovely run and touch, he broke the lines when it was there and made many interceptions, while essentially shutting down his area of the field with intelligent movement and tracking. Firmino was unfortunately very average today, which sucks because we really needed him at his best. Milner was our worst player, and losing Salah hurt because Lallana was pretty poor as well.

I didn't think the officiating was particularly bad. Yes, it was a missed call on Salah and Ramos is a piece of **** who I hope gets what's coming to him at some point (not just for the Salah play, but for many, many others) but at the end of the day I wouldn't say the officiating was overly one sided, and it certainly didn't have an impact on the game. At the end of the day, as I feared, the experience of Real Madrid also proved to be pretty key. Not only were they the more talented side, but they were the side most likely to keep their heads and do what they wanted to on the field.

My biggest fear at this point is burnout from this run and especially the potential moral impact on the club. Fatigue could be a real issue going into next season, not just physical either. At least it was an exciting season and the players can hold their heads high; for the most part they were right in it with Real Madrid, and even looked the better side before Salah went down (IMO). It's not the end of the world, though heartwrenching, and while it sucks to go out that way we go again in a few months.

Time to relax and watch some World Cup footy where I am not emotionally invested in any of the teams competing. Congrats to Madrid for an historic threepeat. What a strike from Bale, and at times the way they moved the ball was really nice to watch (though frustrating for a Liverpool fan).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad