Re-visiting Cherry's Stance On Nylander

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Did you just start watching Cherry this week? This has been going on for years, get a clue.

If I did only just start watching Cherry this week, I wouldn't be able to infer he's a racist from his comments or actions.

I take it your ability to synthesize and analyze information is only slightly less competent than your ability to formulate leading questions?

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
He's a xenophobe and I don't doubt he's got some racist views, you have to remember the generation he's a part of.

Which specific generation would that be? Which people specifically are you referring to?

My grandmother was part of that generation. Selfless to a fault. Her father, who fought in WW1 said, "The men I killed could have been my best friend." He lived in constant physical pain for over 60 years of his life, removing shrapnel on a constant basis from injuries he sustained while enduring WW1 induced PTSD nightly, having survived the worst battles in human history, including The Somme which finally injured him to the point that he couldn't return to service. Spent two years in a military hospital recovering.

And this after he returned to Britain having emigrated to Canada to volunteer to defend his countries. After he recovered he worked throughout Ontario and the N.E. US on construction projects working through the Great Depression. Of a starving, homeless man during that terrible time, my Grandmother noticed him staring at them in a park eating lunch. Instead of insisting the worst of the man, her father simply said, "He's starving, Elsie. A moment." and went to bring him a sandwich.

He insisted on living his life with manners and doing the best he could for the world he wanted to live in and for his daughters to live in. That translated into the hard working, selfless, considerate person that my Grandmother became. She treated my Jamaican best friend like her own grandson and he referred to her as "Grandma".

I don't know what you think you know about Cherry's generation, but insisting people that they "remember" the generation he's part of in the way you prefer isn't derived from accessing a clear memory of that generation, it's derived from remembering what this generation is redefining that generation to be.

Push your political agenda somewhere else.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Stop with the generalizations lmao, I'm not well versed with Russian laws but Russians aren't specific to just Russia. And that has nothing to do with his vitriol regarding Russian players.

Could you imagine if there was a popular figure in MLB,NBA,NFL actively telling people on national tv not to draft Canadians and constantly spewed unjustified hate towards them?
You mean us snow Mexicans lol but I am sure Canadians have alot less of a chance to make it in the NFL and NBA they take our best but generally other nationalitys or Americans will take the role playing positions.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Unfortunately, nylander has got to go. He didn’t produce anything this year and he has a hefty cap hit on a team that needs as much cap as they can get.

I think he might turn out to be a great player, but I don’t think the leafs have the luxury of waiting for him to put it together.

Package him and Kadri maybe?

Sounds like the hockey version of Milli Vanilli . . .

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I sure as hell have never made a generalization or stereotype comment like Cherry has, that's for damn sure.
He's a xenophobe and I don't doubt he's got some racist views, you have to remember the generation he's a part of.

I sure as hell have never made a generalization or stereotype comment like Cherry has, that's for damn sure.

Really just a few posts above you made a generalization about the generation that he is part of. What a joke.

julray

Mar 4, 2015
I use to like Grapes, thought he was honest and said what's on his mind... but now, he's just lost it, completely senile. He referred to Marner as the golden boy/child, wtf?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I thought Cherry was exposed the other night when he said the Bruins came to play right at the beginning of the game, and then Marchand came on after the game and said the Leafs were all over them to start the game and it turned when Ennis took his dumb penalty.

Cherry is entertainment, and he knows a lot about hockey that was played decades ago.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
We're talking about a guy who has said things like "never trust a backstabbing Russian" on live national TV.

Cherry's stance on anything is of no interest. The man can barely speak anymore.

Reactions: stopclickbait

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
He'll be better next year. But didn't like his effort all season. Needs to be better.
next excuse in the Nylander narrative. What if he isn't? What if he's what some of us think he really is, does anyone think his value won't drop further after another "mail it in" season? Get out while there's still some value to be recouped.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I love the stat geeks spewing stats to fit their agendas, I got a stat for you, Boston won 4 games, the Leafs won 3, now there's a stat that actually is relevant to the: Team, President, GM, Coach, Players.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Lmao, you're really moving the goalposts eh.

How so?

I would say that it's quite the opposite - that using the +/- stat (a metric that has been largely laughed off these boards for being highly misleading) would be moving the goal posts.

In my opinion, it's quite clear that Nylander had an underwhelming series when he should have been able to dominate. He was the freshest guy on the team, and he didn't have to deal with Bergeron. That ridiculous goal he gave up also broke us in that game - it was worse than any one of Jake's gaffes imo.

Reactions: Sweet Leaf

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Not at all. Every following generation has gotten worse.

:laugh: Yeah, and this isn't a predictable trope at all.

How can you honestly say that with a straight face? Every generation thinks the next one is crap, but the world inevitably progresses, every time.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
I dislike Nylander very, very much. Probably my least favourite hockey player since I started watching hockey. Its not that he doesnt try (even in the playoffs like wtf), or want to block a shot, or put in the same effort as the rest of his teammates that are willing to do far more for their teamates. It was everything including the fact he didnt care about playing in toronto, only accepting the maximum possible money and pushing the team to literally the very last hour to get every penney..

Financially Ryan Orielly did the same thing to colorado and i was pissed but then he came out and played his heart out and was in tears when colorado was knocked out of the playoffs. I forgot about Orielly's contractual difficulties and became a fan of his again very easily. However William Nylander is a very selfish hockey player compared to the rest of the team both on and off the ice. I don't care how much skill he has I cheer for the leafs but could give a shit about nylander

17 Clark

Mar 22, 2015
World would be a better place once Cherrys generation dies out. But Nylander is overpaid for sure, should have traded him on the first day he held out. His trade value would have been way higher back then too.
What a loser when his generation dies should not wish death on anyone maybe be better if you died how do you like it

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Well he was responsible for that PP goal against and that poor effort that resulted in a GA in the same game, he was a one man wrecking crew in that game, if those 2 goals don't happen its a different series.

The tweet is misleading, it does not tell the whole story of how Nylander's lack of production and lack of consistency was one of many driving factors in our series loss.

You can pick apart just about any players worst two plays of the series to make them public enemy #1.

Claiming that his brain fart in game 2 was even a major reason for the series going the other way is wonky logic to say the least.

Reactions: stopclickbait

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
How so?

I would say that it's quite the opposite - that using the +/- stat (a metric that has been largely laughed off these boards for being highly misleading) would be moving the goal posts.

In my opinion, it's quite clear that Nylander had an underwhelming series when he should have been able to dominate. He was the freshest guy on the team, and he didn't have to deal with Bergeron. That ridiculous goal he gave up also broke us in that game - it was worse than any one of Jake's gaffes imo.

Maybe if he wasn't attached to our two worst players I'd agree, but I'm only using GF/GA 5V5 to prove a point that he wasn't on for goals against, and was for goals for. Plus we're literally talking about the guy that lead the series in forward 5v5 P/60 (that played over 50 mins), so its not like anyone was scoring more than him in comparison to the minutes played.

Maybe with Kadri back, or some actual time with Matthews, or even PP1 time he could've scored more.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
Not to defend the original comment, but Cherry was 6 years old when WW2 started.

What was being insinuated was that old generations are racist. When in fact they are the ones who stood up to tyranny. You can be part of a generation and be on the young side as well. Are all millennials the same age or something? Regardless I am sorry to derail this thread or even be on your boards but I saw that and had to say something. Good day sir.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad