Re-visiting Cherry's Stance On Nylander

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I remember many Leafs fans weren't thrilled with his anti-Nylander stance, but these days Nylander seems to be a popular target for criticism.

I think maybe some of us were so excited to have a player with Nylander's potential in the system after years of not having very many good or legit prospects that we were willing to overlook possible flaws - I mean, the guy did drop in his draft year.

I still think he is and will be a more valuable asset than Nick Ritchie. I expect him to bounce back and at least be a 60+ point winger, which is a good asset to have, especially if you can draft him eighth in a draft. But at this point, the question of whether or not you can win with this player as an important piece is worth trying to answer. I do think that if Nylander bounces back and then progresses as a player, at the very least he should be similar to Kessel in that you'll be able to win with him if you have good enough players around him.

Of course, I'm not saying Don is some sort of a genius or that he always makes great calls or tells it like it is. His boy Andersen f***ed up pretty royally in game seven and I doubt he calls him out on that. I also don't recall ever hearing this guy criticize David f***ing Clarkson.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Cherry is an old, senile racist (towards Russians especially) that embodies the old boys club that festers throughout NHL. Outside of the actual game strategies everything he says should be taken with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

TMLS

Oct 30, 2013
London, Ontario
World would be a better place once Cherrys generation dies out. But Nylander is overpaid for sure, should have traded him on the first day he held out. His trade value would have been way higher back then too.

Reactions: Blueboy

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Nylanders trade value is lower now then when he was holding out.

I could be wrong, but Dubas could have sent a strong message as a young inexperienced gm by trading him at the time of the holdout. Can’t help but think “what would Lou have done”?

Time will tell if Dubas made the right choice.

Reactions: rumman

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
Cherry is an old, senile racist (towards Russians especially) that embodies the old boys club that festers throughout NHL. Outside of the actual game strategies everything he says should be taken with a grain of salt.

You don’t even know what racism means. Russian is not a race. Secondly you call a guy a racist and then be bigoted against old people. You seem very intelligent. Can you tell me what the difference is between lumping a race together and lumping old people together? I’ll wait for what I’m sure will be an insightful answer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad