Re-visiting Cherry's Stance On Nylander

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Don Cherry should be in a retirement home with around the clock attention. How this guy is still aloud to run his mouth on TV is crazy. I’d get infractions on HF for saying half the stuff he says on our national broadcast network FFS

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
A different way to look at it would be that Nylander was 100% responsible for the goal he caused, whereas he was only partially responsible for goals scored.

The fact that his line was also impotent on the power play could be mentioned.

So was he first unit.

The PP issues went way beyond any individual player (and that's beside te fact that the first unit was stacked)

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Sure, if you don't like the way Nylander played thats fine. But pretending he was bad, or the reason we lost, or worse than anyone named Matthews is a joke.

I don't think I'm gonna be able to make it through the summer, but know he's not getting traded. Might as well just accept it at this point.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I remember many Leafs fans weren't thrilled with his anti-Nylander stance, but these days Nylander seems to be a popular target for criticism.

I think maybe some of us were so excited to have a player with Nylander's potential in the system after years of not having very many good or legit prospects that we were willing to overlook possible flaws - I mean, the guy did drop in his draft year.

I still think he is and will be a more valuable asset than Nick Ritchie. I expect him to bounce back and at least be a 60+ point winger, which is a good asset to have, especially if you can draft him eighth in a draft. But at this point, the question of whether or not you can win with this player as an important piece is worth trying to answer. I do think that if Nylander bounces back and then progresses as a player, at the very least he should be similar to Kessel in that you'll be able to win with him if you have good enough players around him.

Of course, I'm not saying Don is some sort of a genius or that he always makes great calls or tells it like it is. His boy Andersen ****ed up pretty royally in game seven and I doubt he calls him out on that. I also don't recall ever hearing this guy criticize David ****ing Clarkson.

Leafs need to parlay Melander to a team that has need of a 2nd line c with some "skill".

There is no room on this roster for his cap hit and limitations.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Sure, if you don't like the way Nylander played thats fine. But pretending he was bad, or the reason we lost, or worse than anyone named Matthews is a joke.

I don't think I'm gonna be able to make it through the summer, but know he's not getting traded. Might as well just accept it at this point.

He was a total non-factor this series.

Neither good, nor bad.

Except for the goal he scored and the goal he basically put in our own net, he was completely unnoticeable.

But that's not what you pay $7 million a year for now is it?

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON

Neither good, nor bad.

Except for the goal he scored and the goal he basically put in our own net, he was completely unnoticeable.

How can the guy that lead both teams forwards in 5v5 P/60 be a "total non-factor".

And he did that while being attached to our two worst forwards for 5 games lol.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Neither good, nor bad.

He kept 8.35 worth of dead salary from embarrassing themselves at ES. Based on my spreadsheet that's cost effective.

Reactions: stopclickbait

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
How can the guy that lead both teams forwards in 5v5 P/60 be a "total non-factor".

And he did that while being attached to our two worst forwards for 5 games lol.

Because putting the puck in your own net almost entirely nullifies all those little incidental events almost entirely.

Imagine if Marleau did that :laugh:

Reactions: Stamkos4life

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
Cherry is an old, senile racist (towards Russians especially)

got a hard on for basketball players these days too, wonder what might explain that particular opinion

A different way to look at it would be that Nylander was 100% responsible for the goal he caused, whereas he was only partially responsible for goals scored.

can't believe an umbrella with Marleau/Ennis/Kapanen couldn't generate any chances

Reactions: stopclickbait

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Cherry is an old, senile racist (towards Russians especially) that embodies the old boys club that festers throughout NHL. Outside of the actual game strategies everything he says should be taken with a grain of salt.
They, Russians still make it illgeal to be gay might even kill you for being gay pretty sure at least Cherry at leasts hates with equality.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016

4 quaters equal 1 whole.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I'm still impressed that people use the "can you win with this player" after it was said for five years about Kessel.

Of course you can. You can with any player. There are some awful names on the cup. It's a team game.

I don't even know where to start when people say that you can't win with a guy who helped us outscore the Bruins with him on the ice. How is that killing our chances exactly?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Cherry is an old, senile racist (towards Russians especially) that embodies the old boys club that festers throughout NHL. Outside of the actual game strategies everything he says should be taken with a grain of salt.

Ya got it wrong in your first sentence, someone who discriminates based on country of origin is a xenophobe. A racist is someone who believes that one racial group is superior or inferior to another based on race alone.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

Well he was responsible for that PP goal against and that poor effort that resulted in a GA in the same game, he was a one man wrecking crew in that game, if those 2 goals don't happen its a different series.

The tweet is misleading, it does not tell the whole story of how Nylander's lack of production and lack of consistency was one of many driving factors in our series loss.

Reactions: Kurtz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad