Re-visiting Cherry's Stance On Nylander

RLF

May 5, 2014
World would be a better place once Cherrys generation dies out. But Nylander is overpaid for sure, should have traded him on the first day he held out. His trade value would have been way higher back then too.

Not that I agree with everything Cherry says, but that take is ridiculous. Everything we have is because of the generation(s) before us. To suggest the current generations are doing a better job for the world seems ignorant.imo

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Well he was responsible for that PP goal against and that poor effort that resulted in a GA in the same game, he was a one man wrecking crew in that game, if those 2 goals don't happen its a different series.

The tweet is misleading, it does not tell the whole story of how Nylander's lack of production and lack of consistency was one of many driving factors in our series loss.

misleading is expecting Nylander to step into the C spot, be dedicated to Defense first, and carry what amounted to 2 boat achors in Marleau and Brown, and for the Record, i was huge Marleau fan, and Brown also, but they were a liabilty this season. Nylander would have been better served between Ennis and Moore.

Reactions: stopclickbait

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I've never got on well with people IRL of the personality type of a Don Cherry but this thread makes me want to be a head in a jar watching the world in 50 years seeing some of you dealing with the contempt of arrogant youth.

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
Cherry is an old, senile racist (towards Russians especially) that embodies the old boys club that festers throughout NHL. Outside of the actual game strategies everything he says should be taken with a grain of salt.

How do you even watch game play during 2nd & 3rd periods after Grapes’ bad man words make you cry so hard during the first intermission?

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Unfortunately, nylander has got to go. He didn’t produce anything this year and he has a hefty cap hit on a team that needs as much cap as they can get.

I think he might turn out to be a great player, but I don’t think the leafs have the luxury of waiting for him to put it together.

Package him and Kadri maybe?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
misleading is expecting Nylander to step into the C spot, be dedicated to Defense first, and carry what amounted to 2 boat achors in Marleau and Brown, and for the Record, i was huge Marleau fan, and Brown also, but they were a liabilty this season. Nylander would have been better served between Ennis and Moore.

You saw how Nylander puck hogged and didn't use his linemates right? A guy like Nylander, who I think has an elite shot (deceptive), surprises no one when he takes a lap around the offensive zone, then shoots the puck.

I wont debate that Marleau and Brow are anchors but Nylander got plenty of PP time and did nothing with it. He's not the only guy guilty of not producing but at the same time people shouldn't tweet something that gives you the impression that Nylander was not part of teh problem.

Reactions: Kurtz

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
You saw how Nylander puck hogged and didn't use his linemates right? A guy like Nylander, who I think has an elite shot (deceptive), surprises no one when he takes a lap around the offensive zone, then shoots the puck.

I wont debate that Marleau and Brow are anchors but Nylander got plenty of PP time and did nothing with it. He's not the only guy guilty of not producing but at the same time people shouldn't tweet something that gives you the impression that Nylander was not part of teh problem.
I saw Nylander doing lap after lap and only having a d-man ever in the open to pass to. ...he was not being selfish, he was trying to use his wingers, but they didnt know how to get into an open spot, even with 2 players chasing Nylander around the ice. He should have tried to just drive the net instead of looking for wingers, so, that is on him, unless it was the against 'game plan', then we are back to Babcock bashing.

I finally understand some of Commodore's remarks about Babs not being the coach everyone thinks he is. :(

The main problem was (overall) the Leafs skill players were not selfish enough, and tried to play a team game, but, positionally they were a mess, and that is 100% on Babcock... i.e. Mathews line had all 3 of them in front of the net within 5ft of each other a few times ...how is that even possible? Boston usually had at least 1 player wide open on offense and defense, because they play a better team game/system than the Leafs.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Nylander skating around the zone with puck 5v5 should be the least of complaints about his game. That's his most valuable trait by far. What is he supposed give up the puck for no reason? Or take a low percentage shot?

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012
Cherry is an old, senile racist (towards Russians especially) that embodies the old boys club that festers throughout NHL. Outside of the actual game strategies everything he says should be taken with a grain of salt.

So Elliote Friedman and Kelly Hrudey highlighting goals affected by defencemen's sticks was an example of the old boys club endorsing a "old, senile, racist"?

Mods...How in the hell does this pass for allowable commentary?

Friedman is Jewish. Hrudey is no one's puppet. Both, using information that could be gleaned from replays agreed with Don Cherry's last salient assessment.

He - Don Cherry - also referred to Ovechkin as a "horse", I believe? Is that in any way shape or form the kind of comment you'd expect from an old, senile, racist? Or does that sound like a person accurately describing Ovechkin in plainly understandable English?

The man has ROUTINELY championed Kadri (a Lebanese-Canadian who happens to be muslim...), Wayne Simmonds, Jordan Tootoo, Dustin Byfuglien, Ted Nolan...And I wouldn't give a damn if he DIDN'T. The point is he does not behave like a racist and there's not a snowball's chance in hell that he'd survive on the CBC if he did.

Mindless mob.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Well he was responsible for that PP goal against and that poor effort that resulted in a GA in the same game, he was a one man wrecking crew in that game, if those 2 goals don't happen its a different series.

The tweet is misleading, it does not tell the whole story of how Nylander's lack of production and lack of consistency was one of many driving factors in our series loss.

Ok i mean it wasnt great by him, but the only players I would consider had a "great" series were Matthews, Rielly, and Freddy.

When it comes to peoblems, Nylander isn't even in the top-5 and thats all TSN/SN and the jokers on this website talk about.

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012
World would be a better place once Cherrys generation dies out. But Nylander is overpaid for sure, should have traded him on the first day he held out. His trade value would have been way higher back then too.

The world you take for granted was built by Cherry's generation and those before him.

It is absolute mind rot to think otherwise. As if parroting Oprah Winfrey and her rabble was ever a sign of intellectual integrity.

And your next sentence addresses overpaying Nylander...

Exhibit A, Your Honour.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto

If Andersen saves that Nordstrom goal it’s a different series. If Kadri doesn’t get suspended it’s a different series. If Marner doesn’t go 3 games with only 1 shot it’s a different series. If Matthews hits home that Rielly feed in game 6 it’s a different series. I’m not even sure what you’re trying to point out.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
got a hard on for basketball players these days too, wonder what might explain that particular opinion

can't believe an umbrella with Marleau/Ennis/Kapanen couldn't generate any chances
He'll cater to the crowd that thinks like him, fortunately, that's a decreasing portion of the population especially moving forward.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
They, Russians still make it illgeal to be gay might even kill you for being gay pretty sure at least Cherry at leasts hates with equality.
Stop with the generalizations lmao, I'm not well versed with Russian laws but Russians aren't specific to just Russia. And that has nothing to do with his vitriol regarding Russian players.

Could you imagine if there was a popular figure in MLB,NBA,NFL actively telling people on national tv not to draft Canadians and constantly spewed unjustified hate towards them?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Cherry is like a broken clock, he's right at least twice a day, that's it.......he loves the Leafs and the Bruins, but he is out to lunch most nights.........

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Ya got it wrong in your first sentence, someone who discriminates based on country of origin is a xenophobe. A racist is someone who believes that one racial group is superior or inferior to another based on race alone.
He's a xenophobe and I don't doubt he's got some racist views, you have to remember the generation he's a part of.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
So Elliote Friedman and Kelly Hrudey highlighting goals affected by defencemen's sticks was an example of the old boys club endorsing a "old, senile, racist"?

Mods...How in the hell does this pass for allowable commentary?

Friedman is Jewish. Hrudey is no one's puppet. Both, using information that could be gleaned from replays agreed with Don Cherry's last salient assessment.

He - Don Cherry - also referred to Ovechkin as a "horse", I believe? Is that in any way shape or form the kind of comment you'd expect from an old, senile, racist? Or does that sound like a person accurately describing Ovechkin in plainly understandable English?

The man has ROUTINELY championed Kadri (a Lebanese-Canadian who happens to be muslim...), Wayne Simmonds, Jordan Tootoo, Dustin Byfuglien, Ted Nolan...And I wouldn't give a damn if he DIDN'T. The point is he does not behave like a racist and there's not a snowball's chance in hell that he'd survive on the CBC if he did.

Mindless mob.
Did you just start watching Cherry this week? This has been going on for years, get a clue.

Lexicon

Dec 7, 2006
No clue
He's a xenophobe and I don't doubt he's got some racist views, you have to remember the generation he's a part of.

xenophobe :laugh:

Some people love just throwing that word around. You have no idea what actual xenophobia or actual hate is. Cherry has opinions, and yeah he's getting up there in age. Agree or disagree - at least he inspires some dialogue. But racist? Common.

Hes made a few generalizations like we all have. But I am assuming you are a perfect human being who's never ever made a comment once in your life that might be deemed controversial.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
xenophobe :laugh:

Some people love just throwing that word around. You have no idea what actual xenophobia or actual hate is. Cherry has opinions, and yeah he's getting up there in age. Agree or disagree - at least he inspires some dialogue. But racist? Common.

Hes made a few generalizations like we all have. But I am assuming you are a perfect human being who's never ever made a comment once in your life that might be deemed controversial.
I sure as hell have never made a generalization or stereotype comment like Cherry has, that's for damn sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->