RDS: RDS gets Habs' regional rights - 12 years deal

thom

Mar 6, 2012
People who think TVA or rds suck well its because of their own bias.CBC news channel and its shows suck for me but at least I admit the reason.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
That means a few things, including this one :

RDS won't have to compensate the loss of Habs/NHL with junior hockey.

Which kinda sucks, because if Gaston Therrien has ANY redeeming value, it would be doing color/between periods for junior hockey. Which would actually also fit real well with his current role with LHMAAA.

Strat

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto
There's no way that the quality of HockeyStreams or any other online streaming alternative is of the same quality as cable.

Also, I want the audio to be in French. Hockey in English isn't the same experience. Hell, if I was watching soccer, I'd probably watch it in Spanish. In English, it'd suck!

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
There has not been any confirmation on TSN extending regional Habs games beyond this year. I find this odd, I would have expected an announcement on the same day.

Galchenioretty

Galchenyuk 1 G in last 18 playoff Gs
Oct 18, 2009
Canada
So the Habs received 31millions a year from RDS to broadcast all games, now, they'll receive 120 millions a year from both TVA (52 millions) and RDS (68 millions). For a team that is already making a lot of profits this is outrageous... and guess who'll pay for this ... the viewers of course.

He'd be nicer if this team was actually good...

http://blogues.radio-canada.ca/blog...gionaux-du-ch-ont-coute-plus-de-800-millions/

How much of that TVA money do the Habs actually see?

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
So the Habs received 31millions a year from RDS to broadcast all games, now, they'll receive 120 millions a year from both TVA (52 millions) and RDS (68 millions). For a team that is already making a lot of profits this is outrageous... and guess who'll pay for this ... the viewers of course.

http://blogues.radio-canada.ca/blog...gionaux-du-ch-ont-coute-plus-de-800-millions/

RDS getting the Habs were the worst possible news ever and people just don't know it. The journalist world is already weak....now you have to divide it by 2. And like the article mentions, they will have to cut everywhere else. It's really a terrible news for the fans. And since there's a salary cap, the only big winner are the Habs. Great time to be working for this organization. Yep, I guess we'll reach the cap every year....but just like quite a few other teams will do it too. But once that reached, money spent will go in their pockets. If they'd be nice, they would make the tickets less expensive, just like the food....but they also won't do that.

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal

Not sure how much this contract is a good deal.
I fail to see how Rogers, TVA or RDS will make money.

There is a limit to press the customer and the NHL may have signed a great deal but having everybody loosing money is not good.
Over 1M$ per game is a lot of money.
Increasing cost by 300% is a going yo be hard to swallow.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004

This seems logical, but how will it happen practically ? I'll share your outrage when it actually hurts my pockets so how are TVA and RDS going to take that money from my pockets in real terms ? If you're talking quality, let me laugh because we never had it in the first place.

Last edited:

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
This seems logical, but how will it happen practically ? I'll share your outrage when it actually hurts my pockets so how are TVA and RDS going to take that money from my pockets in real terms ? If you're talking quality, let me laugh because we never had it in the first place.

By paying more for your cable :dunno:

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
The Habs are not getting that much from Quebecor. But from Bellmedia, yes. But that includes the naming rights to the arena. I don't agree with Leclerc. And coming from a guy who works for a state company that is costing me way too much already, I wouldn't cry wolf too much.

And the money spent was to be expected. Every financial analyst out there thought that the Habs games would be going for around 65M per season. Not big news to them. the 33M or so per season from the previous contract was wayyyyy too low for the market shares. The Habs are the highest selling entertainment product in this province, and the second one in this country. It SHOULD be getting those millions.

For years, the canadian sports franchises got shafted by the media revenue-wise. I mean, I recall the Expos HAVING to pay to get their games broadcasted. PAYING for their content to be on air. That's lowballing.

In the US and elsewhere in the world, paying that much for TV content is not the end of the world.

As for the 'well our cable tv packages will go up' argument, let's just say that the Québec consumers are not paying a lot for the TV content, compared to elsewhere in Canada, and, second, there's a thing called the CRTC that has to approve of all hikes. And the CRTC can be a biatch sometimes, go ask Bellmedia.

Last edited:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Not sure how much this contract is a good deal.
I fail to see how Rogers, TVA or RDS will make money.

There is a limit to press the customer and the NHL may have signed a great deal but having everybody loosing money is not good.
Over 1M$ per game is a lot of money.
Increasing cost by 300% is a going yo be hard to swallow.

If Quebecors put the Habs games on TVA proper and not TVA Sports, they'll make tons of money in advertising cause TVA is the THE top Network in Quebec and Quebec television is big business.

habitue*

If Quebecors put the Habs games on TVA proper and not TVA Sports, they'll make tons of money in advertising cause TVA is the THE top Network in Quebec and Quebec television is big business.

They won't. Creating TVA SPORTS costed them a rm and a leg. They need to feed the beast.

What I can foresee, is an expension or a relocation to Quebec City where TVA SPÖRTS will not only have National rights on NHL games, but also all REGIONAL rights for that new Quebec team. Actually, they are building broadcast facilities by the new Coliseum.

expy

Nov 2, 2010
IMO, they need to get rid of the French stations and just have Rogers broadcast everything on Sportsnet East. The RDS "analysts" are terrible and just try to make the "hometown" players look better than the rest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad