RDS: RDS gets Habs' regional rights - 12 years deal

Tendresse

Capitaine Gorges
Dec 23, 2006
Montréal
What sucks is that even if you plan to watch the playoffs/22 other games on another channel than TVA Sports, every single bar will still be broadcasting Langevin and Pednault. Sigh.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
TVA Sports sadly has all the playoffs games.

That moron Michel Bergeron must feel like a genius right now.

Glad to see RDS will still present 60 matches for the Habs!

Love the timing of the announcement, right after Bergeron La Guidoune jumped ship.

Good news for those who enjoy Pierre Houde, he's likely to keep on going now that there are a majority of games on the slate.

TVA Sports is an X-factor -- I don't think we can use recent past experience to project how good they're going to be. They'll want to put out a quality product as they're still going to be compared to the standard RDS created -- and will now continue, albeit in different geographical zones. Competition brings out the best in anything -- this will be no exception. Let's give TVA Sports a little time before we judge them.

yoyo999

May 24, 2012
The deal also applies only to “the team’s designated broadcast regionâ€, the same region that the TSN Habs channel is limited to — Atlantic Canada, Quebec and parts of eastern Ontario (Ottawa, Belleville, Kingston and Pembroke). So if RDS puts these matches on its main channel, that channel would have to be blacked out in the rest of the country.

http://blog.fagstein.com/2013/12/20/rds-canadiens-deal/

I have always wondered how this works? I live in Toronto and when I use to live with my father he had bell express vu and there was the regular TSN channel and a channel called TSN Habs, which said I wasn't in the designated area when I selected it, but I could obviously opt to watch regular TSN if I chose which was playing poker or weight lifting or whatever,

Would a person with basic cable living in Montreal be seeing the Habs game on regular TSN or would they need the 'TSN Habs' channel?

tez

Oct 23, 2009
Nova Scotia
Confused as to what this means...

I'm in Nova Scotia right now and subscribing to RDS. If this is regional, will I be unable to see these 60 games, or were all 82 of RDS' games already considered "regional", in which case this won't change much other than TVA getting the other 22? Hopefully the latter.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec

I'm in Nova Scotia right now and subscribing to RDS. If this is regional, will I be unable to see these 60 games, or were all 82 of RDS' games already considered "regional", in which case this won't change much other than TVA getting the other 22? Hopefully the latter.

You get them, the Atlantic provinces are in the territory.

HeShootsHeScores

Mar 17, 2009
Im happy for the RDS guys but i cant wait to enjoy some games on TVA without that annoying Et le buuuuuttttt

You gotta be kidding. The only reason I gave a damn about this RDS/TVA saga is because I didn't like the idea of never hearing "Et le buuuuut" during a habs broadcast again. Now I'm sad because I might never witness Pierre Houde anouncing a habs stanley cup win on live television.

yoteshot

Lazy Habs fan
Aug 6, 2005
Gatineau / Ottawa
You gotta be kidding. The only reason I gave a damn about this RDS/TVA saga is because I didn't like the idea of never hearing "Et le buuuuut" during a habs broadcast again. Now I'm sad because I might never witness Pierre Houde anouncing a habs stanley cup win on live television.

This.

Seriously, Houde might not be all that great in some aspects, but just for that sheer excitement when there is a goal, I take him ahead of anyone not named Martin McGuire. Ever heard Langevin or Felix Seguin calling a goal?

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
Pierre Houde classic calls are RDS best assets.

"Ma parole!"
"Coup de théâtre!"
"Le tir.... ET LE BUUUUUUUUUUT!"

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
It mean that if you want all the Habs game in French your going to need to keep RDS instead of cutting them off your package if TVA Sports got the whole deal. It also mean that instead of having all games on one channel 60 games will be on RDS some games will be on TVA Sports and Saturday night game will be on TVA. To top it all off the broadcaster with the least regular game is also getting the Playoff. What a stupid mess.

TeamlessWatcher

Mar 13, 2008
How do regional rights work? Does TVA still have any rights to the games nationally? IE can they also have their own broadcast of the same games?

TeamlessWatcher

Mar 13, 2008
It mean that if you want all the Habs game in French your going to need to keep RDS instead of cutting them off your package if TVA Sports got the whole deal. It also mean that instead of having all games on one channel 60 games will be on RDS some games will be on TVA Sports and Saturday night game will be on TVA. To top it all off the broadcaster with the least regular game is also getting the Playoff. What a stupid mess.

Yes, yes it is.

There definitely will not be a continuity with the team this season because of this. Having a certain group of people follow 82 games of the team + playoffs it feels like you're a part of it. When it's split around a bunch of places it's kind of meh.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
L'Antichambre is pumping their own tires. Talking about how great their deal is, how great RDS is, they respect their employees, their president is awesome, blablabla..
What the heck is this crap. Talk about hockey and leave it at that.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
L'Antichambre is pumping their own tires. Talking about how great their deal is, how great RDS is, they respect their employees, their president is awesome, blablabla..
What the heck is this crap. Talk about hockey and leave it at that.

They're just happy they didn't die outthere with their keasters in the wind.

HABsurde

Jul 28, 2005
Montreal

Games won't be on TVA anymore, if they would have gotten all 82 games, that could have work as they could still get people to subscribe to TVA sports so they get the other 60 games.

With this situation, Quebecor will want to make money out of TVA Sports, so you better believe these 22 or more games will be on TVA Sports

Playoff might be an other story though....

Strat

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto
Hmmmmm,... I live in Toronto and would be absolutely heartbroken if RDS were blacked out here. :(

It's the only reason I have cable TV at all. GameCentre and all these other options wouldn't have the same quality picture on my 60" HDTV.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Houde/Denis are very good. Highly doubt TVAS would be able to beat that.

I don't think this would be that hard. I like Houde and Denis but Houde is not the most knowledgeable guy and Denis can be pretty boring. Maguire and Dubé can beat this although i'm not sure if they can get out of their radio contract.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
I don't think this would be that hard. I like Houde and Denis but Houde is not the most knowledgeable guy and Denis can be pretty boring. Maguire and Dubé can beat this although i'm not sure if they can get out of their radio contract.

Maguire is good on radio, but I don't know how tht would translate on tv. He talks too much.

As for Dubé, he's a very nice man. Bt I find him to be a tad too philosophical about the game. Not a big fan.

I like Marc Denis. He's only got two years under his belt, which is not a lot. And he's already better than any other french analyst I've listened to since Gilles Tremblay. He's very intelligent

As for Pierre, we've been blessed and we don't know it. The quality of his french is radiocanadaesque, which is a quality.

If I was TVA, I would bring back Claude Quenneville.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad