RDS: RDS gets Habs' regional rights - 12 years deal

Apr 28, 2010
Regional... I'm assuming it means that it will be blacked-out outside Quebec? If that's the case, I'll have to cancel that channel.

Damn.. you're probably right. Im in west Canada too. I also don't think TVA Sports is available with Telus. It also wouldn't make sense to get it if they're only getting 22 games..

Where the **** am I going to watch Habs games next year? :(

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
806832e8-2faf-46b7-a678-10b3ec93ced8.jpg

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
The deal also applies only to “the team’s designated broadcast regionâ€, the same region that the TSN Habs channel is limited to — Atlantic Canada, Quebec and parts of eastern Ontario (Ottawa, Belleville, Kingston and Pembroke). So if RDS puts these matches on its main channel, that channel would have to be blacked out in the rest of the country.

http://blog.fagstein.com/2013/12/20/rds-canadiens-deal/

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Regional... I'm assuming it means that it will be blacked-out outside Quebec? If that's the case, I'll have to cancel that channel.

That's what I'm wondering also. If I can't get Hab games on RDS here in Atlantic Canada I may as well just drop the channel since I only have it for Hab games..

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Same here. No way I'll listen to Langevin and Pednault
Same here. Langevin is a Habs hater, admittedly too. Spends an insane amount of his airtime to bash. And his description skills are laughable. RDS for the week games, CBC for the weekends. All good.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
The deal also applies only to “the team’s designated broadcast regionâ€, the same region that the TSN Habs channel is limited to — Atlantic Canada, Quebec and parts of eastern Ontario (Ottawa, Belleville, Kingston and Pembroke). So if RDS puts these matches on its main channel, that channel would have to be blacked out in the rest of the country.

What I wonder is : Can RDS "outsource" his rights to TSN ?

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
The deal also applies only to “the team’s designated broadcast region”, the same region that the TSN Habs channel is limited to — Atlantic Canada, Quebec and parts of eastern Ontario (Ottawa, Belleville, Kingston and Pembroke). So if RDS puts these matches on its main channel, that channel would have to be blacked out in the rest of the country.

Thanks for the link.. So it looks like I should still get the 60 Hab games on RDS since I'm in Atlantic Canada then.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
Im happy for the RDS guys but i cant wait to enjoy some games on TVA without that annoying Et le buuuuuttttt

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
CBC will mostly show Laffs games as usual.

Sucks for us in Gatineau too because we always get the stupid Ottawa games, even if its a MTL vs Toronto showdown, we still get a damn ottawa vs carolina game.

Why would Rogers give CBC Leafs? I think with the amount of money they paid they'll make sure the Leafs are on their channel.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Wow...that's such a bad news. There's already not enough brillant journalists for one station...can't imagine diluding the product.

Honestly, now, it will mean they might use Langevin for TVA....and this is incredibly bad. The Habs will have the only play-by-play guy that is against the team he works with.....Langevin is the anti-Edwards....I hope that even if it's just 22 games and playoffs, that people will be all against that nomination if Langevin gets the job.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
The boss of RDS showed up on the air and handed the 5 à 7 crew an enveloppe telling them it was a gift.

I think they legit learned about it live on the air.

yoyo999

May 24, 2012
They made an agreement with Rogers but Rogers runs HNIC on CBC and basically dictates what games they get. It's very possible they put the Canadiens on Sportsnet, also possible they put them on CBC at this point.

You can bank on the Leafs being on Sportsnet. CBC and City will probably rotate Habs/Sens in some capacity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad