RDS: RDS gets Habs' regional rights - 12 years deal

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com
Love the timing of the announcement, right after Bergeron La Guidoune jumped ship.

L'Antichambre is pumping their own tires. Talking about how great their deal is, how great RDS is, they respect their employees, their president is awesome, blablabla..
What the heck is this crap. Talk about hockey and leave it at that.

En manchette ce soir:

Bb-3kwhCcAARUT9.png

;)

Last edited:

Aspirine

Lateral Move at Best
Sep 21, 2010
Montreal
Why don't you guys get hockeystreams and let all the cable hassle down.
Glad I'll be hearing more of Pierre Houde. Tons of respect for the dude. Just listening to Crête pronounce names at the intermission feels like changing planets, I can't imagine Langevin and Pedneault... But who cares, Habs hockey is Habs hockey.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
En manchette ce soir:

Bb-3kwhCcAARUT9.png

;)

How old is that pic of Bergeron? Photo stock reserves running low, huh?

I too saw RDS head honcho Jerry Frappier, lathering it thick, patting himself and his employees on the back, making weird grimaces, lol.

Which brings me back to Bergeron jumping ship -- some are saying the timing isn't as ill-advised -- he may have been convinced by someone at TVA that the Nords are not too far off the horizon. Looks like a longshot to me.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
So what does this mean for me?
I'm in Toronto paying $7/month for RDS.
Will my games be blocked out?

Yeah. Sorry, you're screwed. It only goes as far west as Ottawa, Hawksbury and the likes. The French-ish areas of Ontario.

I'd suggest you join hockeystreams. It will cost you less. Don't fork over for the NHL Network.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Yeah. Sorry, you're screwed. It only goes as far west as Ottawa, Hawksbury and the likes. The French-ish areas of Ontario.

I'd suggest you join hockeystreams. It will cost you less. Don't fork over for the NHL Network.

I live in a small town in Northern Ontario where its 80% french and the Habs are the team most people cheer for if we don't get the Habs on tv here its gonna get ugly. ;)

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
I wish Denis Gauthier, Gaston Therrien and François Gagnon left the boat to TVA sports before this annoucement...

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I live in a small town in Northern Ontario where its 80% french and the Habs are the team most people cheer for if we don't get the Habs on tv here its gonna get ugly. ;)

Let me guess, it's either Kap, Hearst or Smooth Rock :)

Rickkins

Jul 22, 2007
I guess that means that English Quebecers are screwed again, unless they have Bell....

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
With the TVA 12 year deal and the 100% of the future Nordics games, if TVA would have landed the extra 60 games, TVA would have locked up hockey in Quebec. RDS would have had to cancel 5-7, hockey360,the NHL broadcast team, Antichambre, that the entire 5-11pm prime time slots. WOW. RDS had to outbid TVA just to stay in the game. Sure RDS could have replaced this time with other sports, on HABS HOCKEY NIGHTS you would be DEAD, nothing else on the planet is watched on these nights, unless your a non-hockey fan and you watch movies. SO what change the name to RDF- Reseau Des Films

MrGreencity

Dec 21, 2013
Montreal
I knew Bell wouldn't let TVA and Québecor win that easily.
I couldn't imagine myself watching the games without Pierre Houde screaming his famous "Et c'est le but!".

yoyo999

May 24, 2012

Because in the rest of Canada RDS is considered a specialty channel, I doubt the other teams will bother blacking out a network that just isn't that popular for 3 hours at a time. RDS is not available on regular cable in the GTA or our west, so it's not really competing for viewers with sportsnet or citytv. They also probably figure that if people go out of their way to get RDS, they won't be converted to another team's fanbase.

Outside of some habs fans or expats, how many people outside Quebec have RDS? I don't have numbers but I would wager not many. Bars do, but they likely order centre ice. It seems like a lot on this board, but we're a habs board.

With that being said, it would certainly be within their right to black it out and it wouldn't surprise me, but I think you'll be ok.

Maybe someone who had RDS before they had the full national rights, (split with SRC) and can elaborate.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
I like the fact that there will be more networks with Hab games. Competition is always a good thing. Really don't like when one network has all the monopoly like RDS had all these years. Also lol at people thinking Langevin will be doing the Habs broadcast on TVA.

thewall

Jul 9, 2010
I live in Hearst ontario, small french community and you are telling me we won't have HAbs game on tv anymore? wow.. 90% of the town are Habs fans... I'm not an happ camper!

pezcore

Jan 13, 2012
St-Hubert, Qc
ok so lemme get this straight

Quebec, Martimes part of Ontario

French
60 games on RDS (Regional)
20ish games + playoffs on TVA

English:
CBC (Unconfirmed amount of games)
20ish games on TSN Habs (Bell Only Regional)
Sportsnest (Unconfirmed amount of games)

Rest of Canada

French

English:

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Why don't you guys get hockeystreams and let all the cable hassle down.
Glad I'll be hearing more of Pierre Houde. Tons of respect for the dude. Just listening to Crête pronounce names at the intermission feels like changing planets, I can't imagine Langevin and Pedneault... But who cares, Habs hockey is Habs hockey.

I like my hockey in full HD on my 60" TV, thanks.

Price My Man Crush

Aug 27, 2011
Montréal
ok so lemme get this straight

Quebec, Martimes part of Ontario

French
60 games on RDS (Regional)

English:
20ish games on TSN Habs (Bell Only Regional)

Rest of Canada

French

English:

OP, just edit your post and put these infos in it.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I've always wanted a feed with on ice audio only, just like they did in the playoffs when the broadcasters were on strike 20+ years ago... That was amazing.

I often bring that up as my ideal. One of my favorite childhood memories was waching some of those games with my dad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad