RD Zayne Parekh - Saginaw Spirit, OHL (2024 Draft)

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
anyone that watches him a lot have some NHL comps for this guy? obviously the offensive skills and IQ are top end. maybe like fox the way he manipulates the game with his mind, but better skater

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
anyone that watches him a lot have some NHL comps for this guy? obviously the offensive skills and IQ are top end. maybe like fox the way he manipulates the game with his mind, but better skater
That's the problem with comps sure fox offensively but fox is a complete package type of player and Parekh has a higher offensive skillset and also a much higher might not put it all together and be a Tyson Barrie like type of NHL player in terms of value.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
I guess my question is why does one need a comparable? There’s already so much out there about him and other players. All anyone is going use for comparables are every offensive d man with defensive issues from the last ten years.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
I guess my question is why does one need a comparable? There’s already so much out there about him and other players. All anyone is going use for comparables are every offensive d man with defensive issues from the last ten years.
you're right...they don't need a comp. was just curious if anyone saw similarities to current players.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
you're right...they don't need a comp. was just curious if anyone saw similarities to current players.
it's interesting, because we all like comparables to contextualize but they are so loaded. small offensive d with good smarts we compare to fox, but it's more likely they are perunovich. we see silayev highlights and get visions of hedman, but myers is a more likely outcome. is catton next marner or next rattie? parekh? erik karlsson, unless he is tony d.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
That's the problem with comps sure fox offensively but fox is a complete package type of player and Parekh has a higher offensive skillset and also a much higher might not put it all together and be a Tyson Barrie like type of NHL player in terms of value.

To my eye it is more extreme than Barrie or Boqvist, Parekh is much better offensively and much more clueless defensively.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
To my eye it is more extreme than Barrie or Boqvist, Parekh is much better offensively and much more clueless defensively.
At the same stage and projects much more offensively but defensively in their draft years?

Defense can be taught.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
At the same stage and projects much more offensively but defensively in their draft years?

Defense can be taught.

I think in comparison to other highly touted junior D that were bad at defense in their draft seasons, Parekh is even more clueless defensively. I can't think of one that I hated their defense more.

But there's many D I haven't seen, I didn't watch junior most years until four or so years ago when it became a yearly thing for me. Maybe someone can name a worse or similar defender who went on to a fine NHL career.

Yes defense can be taught but look at the D in the league that aren't good at it and how much it limits their value, that's what teams are going to want to avoid with Parekh.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I think in comparison to other highly touted junior D that were bad at defense in their draft seasons, Parekh is even more clueless defensively. I can't think of one that I hated their defense more.

But there's many D I haven't seen, I didn't watch junior most years until four or so years ago when it became a yearly thing for me. Maybe someone can name a worse or similar defender who went on to a fine NHL career.

Yes defense can be taught but look at the D in the league that aren't good at it and how much it limits their value, that's what teams are going to want to avoid with Parekh.
It's hard to say most CHL teams have NEVER had a draft year Dman that can lead a very good team in scoring and finish top 10 both in scoring and PPG.

Makar wasn't talked about for his defense on draft day, Parekh is getting drafted for his offense and a team willing to develop him.

Reactions: Blueston

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Parekh is really soft and has a hard time defending any team that can impose a cycle, but he is the most talented offensive D in the draft and what he has done in the OHL as a draft eligible is almost unprecedented.

I'd prefer a more well rounded D like Dickinson, but I am curious to see how soon guys like him and Buium will go.

It's hard to say most CHL teams have NEVER had a draft year Dman that can lead a very good team in scoring and finish top 10 both in scoring and PPG.

Makar wasn't talked about for his defense on draft day, Parekh is getting drafted for his offense and a team willing to develop him.
Makar was 10x the defender that Parekh is, and the skating is not on the same planet.

Main concern with Makar was the competition he faced in his D-1...

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Parekh should go pretty high. Like if any of these teams truly believe he has point per game potential with 20+ goals, then why he is not going 2nd overall?

Doesn’t seem that crazy to me. You don’t really get many opportunities to add a player like that to your prospect pool. Especially one that is right handed!

Reactions: wetcoast

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Makar always had some good fundamentals defensively. I watched him first hand at UMass and we was good defensively in his very first NCAA games. Just a little too jumpy about oncoming forechecks.

There's "not being talked about defensively" and then there's not having basic spatial awareness of what's happening in your zone, not being able to protect yourself from hits, getting turnstiled on the cycle. Parekh and Makar are different situations.

Parekh is really soft and has a hard time defending any team that can impose a cycle, but he is the most talented offensive D in the draft and what he has done in the OHL as a draft eligible is almost unprecedented.

I'd prefer a more well rounded D like Dickinson, but I am curious to see how soon guys like him and Buium will go.

Makar was 10x the defender that Parekh is, and the skating is not on the same planet.

I'm right there with you until the "guys like him and Buium" line. Buium is pretty close to an average NCAA defender. That's pretty impressive for a guy in his D-1.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Makar always had some good fundamentals defensively. I watched him first hand at UMass and we was good defensively in his very first NCAA games. Just a little too jumpy about oncoming forechecks.

There's "not being talked about defensively" and then there's not having basic spatial awareness of what's happening in your zone, not being able to protect yourself from hits, getting turnstiled on the cycle. Parekh and Makar are different situations.

I'm right there with you until the "guys like him and Buium" line. Buium is pretty close to an average NCAA defender. That's pretty impressive for a guy in his D-1.
I also prefer Buium to Parekh, but I have my concerns with some of his defensive plays.

He is a better defender than Parekh for sure. Parekh is a superior offensive defenseman.

Buium is more well-rounded. I have Buium in my top 10, not Parekh.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
To flesh out the point on taking contact - Parekh stands really high on his skates, he's so smooth but has very little power. His skating style works for him offensively but in his end he doesn't generate any power to move opponents in the slightest, he also can't stop them if they want to skate right through him. Maybe this kid has never been under the squat rack and it all changes for him later, I'm not sure.

Parekh should go pretty high. Like if any of these teams truly believe he has point per game potential with 20+ goals, then why he is not going 2nd overall?

Doesn’t seem that crazy to me. You don’t really get many opportunities to add a player like that to your prospect pool. Especially one that is right handed!

I bet there are teams that are going to pass on Parekh even though they think he might become a point per game guy.

It really depends on how they want to construct their D core. Especially after the playoffs a lot of clubs will only draft D that they think can be the total package.

And it's not like their aren't other D in this draft with elite upside. Maybe no one with Parekh's offensive upside but several guys that could plausibly become Norris candidates. Or you could take another 30 goal offensive stud in Yakemchuk who is huge and nasty.

You've also got a great rare power forward in Lindstrom and a potential 90 or 100 pt guy in Demidov, I don't think there's a case for Parekh at 2, or 3, or 4.

Reactions: coooldude

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
I bet there are teams that are going to pass on Parekh even though they think he might become a point per game guy.

It really depends on how they want to construct their D core. Especially after the playoffs a lot of clubs will only draft D that they think can be the total package.

And it's not like their aren't other D in this draft with elite upside. Maybe no one with Parekh's offensive upside but several guys that could plausibly become Norris candidates. Or you could take another 30 goal offensive stud in Yakemchuk who is huge and nasty.

You've also got a great rare power forward in Lindstrom and a potential 90 or 100 pt guy in Demidov, I don't think there's a case for Parekh at 2, or 3, or 4.
Oh certainly teams would pass on Parekh but I guess I’m saying it wouldn’t be that far fetched to see him go that high especially after we have heard that picks 2 thru 10 could go any which way. Maybe he’s 2nd or maybe he’s 10th, I don’t know.

I’m sure there’s a top 12 team that likes Parekh a lot right now. And they might just win the lottery to pick 2nd. I wouldn’t bet against it

I’d also curious about the sharks approach if they end up with say pick 2 and pick 11 or something. Take the highest upside play possible at 2 (Demidov/Parekh?) and snag whoever slides at 11? I could see that playing out too

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Oh certainly teams would pass on Parekh but I guess I’m saying it wouldn’t be that far fetched to see him go that high especially after we have heard that picks 2 thru 10 could go any which way. Maybe he’s 2nd or maybe he’s 10th, I don’t know.

I’m sure there’s a top 12 team that likes Parekh a lot right now. And they might just win the lottery to pick 2nd. I wouldn’t bet against it

I’d also curious about the sharks approach if they end up with say pick 2 and pick 11 or something. Take the highest upside play possible at 2 (Demidov/Parekh?) and snag whoever slides at 11? I could see that playing out too

If I'm picking 2 & 11 as the Sharks I take Demidov at 2 and then you're still going to get a good faller at #11. Could be Yakemchuk (I think a bit unlikely), or maybe Parekh or Buium.

Reactions: CaptainShark

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Makar probably was the better defender but also played at a much weaker level and his production was less than Parekh who played at a higher level so these things aren't nearly as clear as you are trying to point out here.

There was some indication about Makar's 2 way game but it was also in the AJHL not the OHL or WHL so there were question marks.

here are 3 scouting reports from the draft and most focus on his skating which was his obvious strength.

Anyways the comparisons between players and trying to find an NHL comp is often foolhardy and is a waste of time.

Parekh is the most offensive of all the Dmen available in this draft the questions come in will that offense translate and his size say compared to Levshunov who is also very impressive offensively but is already physically ready for a pro game and might project more easily or a guy like dickinson who probably doesn't have the ceiling of either guy but also has a higher floor and likelihood of being at least a solid NHL player for a very long time.

I could see Parekh as the first Dman off the board if the right team who thinks they can develop him and believes that his offense will translate quite well has that second or 3,4 pick but he also could be the 4th or 5th Dman off the board as there are IMO 7 top level defenders that teams might consider who all have their strengths and weaknesses, projectibilty and size skating differences along with the once frontrunner of this draft class in Aron Kiviharju who probably peaked early and has injury concerns as well.

All that being said I think at least 2 Dmen get selected before him and probably 3 or 4.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
If I'm picking 2 & 11 as the Sharks I take Demidov at 2 and then you're still going to get a good faller at #11. Could be Yakemchuk (I think a bit unlikely), or maybe Parekh or Buium.
At this point none of the highly touted dman in the draft are looking to be available after 10. I’d be surprised if one of those dman aren’t selections 2-3.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
At this point none of the highly touted dman in the draft are looking to be available after 10. I’d be surprised if one of those dman aren’t selections 2-3.

So you're saying it will be 6 D out of the top 10?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad