RD Zayne Parekh - Saginaw Spirit, OHL (2024 Draft)

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com

Parekh was a first round pick, 19th overall in the most recent OHL Draft. He was a standout at the u17 Team Canada camp showing off his skating and playmaking abilities from the blueline. He has some pretty projectable qualities so it should be exiting to watch him play the next few years.

Reactions: d rake

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Parekh really stood out at Saginaws rookie camp as well. Offensive ceiling is insanely high. How his D shakes out will be a major factor in how he winds up overall as a prospect.

Watching Michael Misa and him on the PP in Saginaw is going to be something the next couple years.

Reactions: Dominance

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Was definitely one of the best skating and offensively minded D in Ontario this past year, really good Mind for the game. He’s got a lot of work to do away from the puck and just mainly taking time to get stronger and fill out his frame, and if he can develop the way I think he can, could be a first rounder in his draft year. His ability to surf and float in the offensive zone to open lanes and get pucks through is special. Very confident puck handler

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I was very impressed by this player.

He started as the 7th defenseman in the game I saw, and they had to give him a regular shift because he pretty much won the game for them in the third period.

As others have said, great offensive skills. Can really run a PP. I thought he was a forward initially.

He seems to skate well and has pretty good size for an offensive defenseman. I can see some of the defensive concerns. He can try to make some risky plays, but I don't even think he looks bad defensively.

Definitely looks like a first rounder to me for 2024, but it's early.

Reactions: Peachkings1922

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Cool little story with Parekh - his father, Azim at one point a few years back was poised to buy the Windsor Spitfires. He was some rich Dentist from Toronto.

He did this just before the the OHL and OHL U18 drafts at the time. The sale hadn’t gone through just yet but the team “decided“ to pick his 16 year old son in the fifth round of the OHL draft, then his 17 year old son fifth overall in the U18 draft.

After those drafts concluded, the sale fell through. Take that as you will.

Nothing against Zayne’s brothers but neither were talented enough to go where they did in their respective drafts - and neither have seen any OHL games.

• Wow
Reactions: Blueston

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Nice slapper in his last game, pretty impressive stats for a 16 year old rookie defenseman.
14 goals, 24 points, 0.80 ppg, is +9, has 18 penalty minutes and 70 sog.,
- his s% is pretty high though, but hey i never see it as a negative thing.

Lavar Ball

Neva Lost
Apr 23, 2022
Chino Hills, CA
This kid keeps scoring goals. The most goals by a defenseman in their D-1 in the OHL:
Screen Shot 2023-02-01 at 10.25.44 PM.png

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
first 11 games of the season, 2 assists
last 24 games of the season, 16 goals and 8 assists, 24 points.

16 goals in his last 24 games? for a 16 year old first year rookie?
crazy shit, same + for a defenseman?... :eek3::eek3::eek3::eek3:

Reactions: Peachkings1922

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
I saw someone mention Saginaw’s system or play style makes it easier for a Dman to score points relating to Mintyukov. Given Mintyukov’s slow start with Ottawa I’m wondering if they were right …

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
I saw someone mention Saginaw’s system or play style makes it easier for a Dman to score points relating to Mintyukov. Given Mintyukov’s slow start with Ottawa I’m wondering if they were right …
I don’t know if easier if the correct way to describe it. More like there’s more opportunity for them to have an impact on offense. They still have to do something with it. The system rewards creative players period. D men don’t have to stay stapled to the blue line. They are just as much attackers as any of the forwards. Why guys like Mintyukov, Parekh, Wilde (while he was here) thrive there.

Peachkings1922

Aug 13, 2022
Grimsby
Parekh and Misa 2 1st Rd picks for Saginaw this year have been lighting it up. Misa was a given but great scouting getting Parekh at 19th overall. He will be a 1st Rd pick in the 24 NHL draft RD.

Last edited:

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Parekh and Misa 2 1st Rd picks for Saginaw this year have been lighting it up. Misa was a given but great scouting getting Parekh at 19th overall. He will be a 1st Rd pick in the 24 NHL draft RD.

Mintyukov I think ends up better defensively, but Parekh is comparable offensively to how Mintyukov looked in his first year in Saginaw and he was 2 years older. Thats a scary thought.

Last edited:

Peachkings1922

Aug 13, 2022
Grimsby
Mintyukov I think ends up better defensively, but Parekh is comparable offensively to how Mintyukov looked in his first year in Saginaw and he was 2 years older. Thats a scary thought.
@bcspragu you get to see him play more. How is his D game shaping up from the start of the season? Is he playing with Mancini? I hope he is around for his OA year next season. Someone could sign him, big guy with some offensive upside and would be a good leader next season for Parekh to play top 2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad