RD Zayne Parekh - Saginaw Spirit, OHL (2024 Draft)

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
crazy production by Saginaw D :oops::oops::oops:

Parekh
Dionico*
Donovan**

118 games
54 goals
91 assists
145 points
1.23 ppg
+65
310 shots on goal
171 penalty minutes

if you count all of their d-men stats (9 d-men)

364. 71+129=200 | +109 | 419 pim | 544 sog

*,** both started their seasons elsewhere, i only counted in their Saginaw stats

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
crazy production by Saginaw D :oops::oops::oops:

Parekh
Dionico*
Donovan**

118 games
54 goals
91 assists
145 points
1.23 ppg
+65
310 shots on goal
171 penalty minutes

if you count all of their d-men stats (9 d-men)

364. 71+129=200 | +109 | 419 pim | 544 sog

*,** both started their seasons elsewhere, i only counted in their Saginaw stats
Lazary has always advocated for making the D integral parts of leading the rush or being attackers once they have possession in the offensive zone. Positionless hockey to make it harder to the opponent to defend and to get better match ups. And when guys get comfortable in the system, it really is fun to watch. If you look at box scores, they outshoot opponents most nights (and by a good margin most of the time). The whole point is to wear down teams with depth. By the third, your opponent will be more gassed than you and that's why they've been able to make some many comebacks this year. I'd have to look it up but their 3rd period goal differential has to be insanely good.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Lazary has always advocated for making the D integral parts of leading the rush or being attackers once they have possession in the offensive zone. Positionless hockey to make it harder to the opponent to defend and to get better match ups. And when guys get comfortable in the system, it really is fun to watch. If you look at box scores, they outshoot opponents most nights (and by a good margin most of the time). The whole point is to wear down teams with depth. By the third, your opponent will be more gassed than you and that's why they've been able to make some many comebacks this year. I'd have to look it up but their 3rd period goal differential has to be insanely good.
Dude, awesome stuff, thanks.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Ok so since the trade deadline (24 games) when the team has taken its current form, they are +17 in the 3rd/OT and outshoot their opponents by about 10.5 shots per game.
Can they match up against London or the other top teams though?

I ask as someone who doesn't follow the OHL all that much.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Can they match up against London or the other top teams though?

I ask as someone who doesn't follow the OHL all that much.
1-2 vs London this season. Have beaten Sudbury, Brantford twice. Winning record vs Kitchener. Them and the Soo have played a series where the road team has won every time.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
1-2 vs London this season. Have beaten Sudbury, Brantford twice. Winning record vs Kitchener. Them and the Soo have played a series where the road team has won every time.
I guess it will be an interesting playoff like usual.

I follow the WHL more and I'm not even sure which team is the team to beat this year, alot depends on getting hot at the right time.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Am I crazy for thinking this dude could go 2nd overall?
I don’t think he will, but I wouldn’t fault a team for taking him there. There’s plenty of risk and upside for anyone going 2nd overall this year.

If a team truly thinks he is a Adam Fox/Quinn Hughes level talent then absolutely you take him at #2. I know scouting reports differ but if that is the conclusion a team comes to, he should absolutely be top 5 if not top 2. I just have my doubts that teams are thinking that way

I think back to the Barry Trotz quote last year where he asked his staff to make selections that have the most potential to bring fans out of their seats. There are plenty of middle-six guys to sign every year.

Going off that mandate - I would put Demidov/Parekh/Catton right up there as picks with most elite upside

Last edited:
Reactions: cheechoo

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
1 game left in the regular season.

Top 5 Saginaw in points

1. Parekh 94 points
2. Misa 71 points (2025 NHL Draft)
3. Haight 65 points
4. Mangone 61 points
5. Sapovaliv 60 points

Top 5 Saginaw in goals

1. Parekh 32
2. Misa 28
3. Haight 25
4. Mangone 20
5. Dionicio 19

Top 5 Saginaw in +/-

1. Parekh +36
2. Beck +27
3. Mangone +26
4. Hache +24
5. Willis +23

Parekh also leads in : ppg, shots on goal, sh goals, pp assists, pp points
second in pp goals

We are talking about a 17 year old defenseman here..

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
1 game left in the regular season.

Top 5 Saginaw in points

1. Parekh 94 points
2. Misa 71 points (2025 NHL Draft)
3. Haight 65 points
4. Mangone 61 points
5. Sapovaliv 60 points

Top 5 Saginaw in goals

1. Parekh 32
2. Misa 28
3. Haight 25
4. Mangone 20
5. Dionicio 19

Top 5 Saginaw in +/-

1. Parekh +36
2. Beck +27
3. Mangone +26
4. Hache +24
5. Willis +23

Parekh also leads in : ppg, shots on goal, sh goals, pp assists, pp points
second in pp goals

We are talking about a 17 year old defenseman here..
Small correction but the stats you have there are for games played for Saginaw only. So things like leading goal scorer are off. Owen Beck has 33 goals on the year so actually leads the team. Still impressive that he’s keeping pace with a 19 year old though.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Small correction but the stats you have there are for games played for Saginaw only. So things like leading goal scorer are off. Owen Beck has 33 goals on the year so actually leads the team. Still impressive that he’s keeping pace with a 19 year old though.
No correction needed, thank you. My stats are 100% correct, just a different point of view perhaps,
i wouldn't say that, but i guess one can see it differently.

Look at where it says "top 5 Saginaw in goals", as in, goals scored by Saginaw players,
that excludes the goals scored by those players who started their seasons elsewhere,

For example, Owen Beck didn't score 33 goals for Saginaw, but actually 17 goals,
where as Zayne scored 32 goals, 15 goals more what Owen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blueston

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
No correction needed, thank you. My stats are 100% correct, just a different point of view perhaps,
i wouldn't say that, but i guess one can see it differently.

Look at where it says "top 5 Saginaw in goals", as in, goals scored by Saginaw players,
that excludes the goals scored by those players who started their seasons elsewhere,

For example, Owen Beck didn't score 33 goals for Saginaw, but actually 17 goals,
where as Zayne scored 32 goals, 15 goals more what Owen.
Ok but then you need to compare how much Parekh has scored only while Beck has played for the Spirit then. Otherwise it’s a bit of a misleading stat line.

SingDomestica

Jul 10, 2008
SoCal
How do you Spirit fans view Parekh in comparison to Pavel Mintyukov, who was putting up the same PPG prior to being traded? Obviously the former has put up way more goals, but how does he compare in terms of skating and defensive play in your opinion?

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
How do you Spirit fans view Parekh in comparison to Pavel Mintyukov, who was putting up the same PPG prior to being traded? Obviously the former has put up way more goals, but how does he compare in terms of skating and defensive play in your opinion?
Mintyukov was a physical freak. He just seemed to be a man amongst boys out there. He is much better as a two way dman. Parekh is a better skater, has a better offensive mind. Mintyukov will eat minutes for you and chip in offensively when needed. Parekh can take over games when he gets going. Two different styles but both are supremely talented.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
How much better is Parekh compared to DeAngelo in their draft year?

He's the first comparable that pops into my mind based solely on points.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
How much better is Parekh compared to DeAngelo in their draft year?

He's the first comparable that pops into my mind based solely on points.
I think that tony played with more of an edge but Parekh, as a defensive prospects has few equals in terms of his offensive wizardry in his draft year.

It's really a question if that offense will translate and he isn't the biggest guy out there and defensively he is kind of meh right now.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
His production is just ridiculous for his age and position. Hes also outscoring the next leading scoring on his team by a significant margin.

Reactions: Dominance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad