RD Zayne Parekh - Saginaw Spirit, OHL (2024 Draft)

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
I’d also curious about the sharks approach if they end up with say pick 2 and pick 11 or something. Take the highest upside play possible at 2 (Demidov/Parekh?) and snag whoever slides at 11? I could see that playing out too

If I'm picking 2 & 11 as the Sharks I take Demidov at 2 and then you're still going to get a good faller at #11. Could be Yakemchuk (I think a bit unlikely), or maybe Parekh or Buium.
Speaking only as a Sharks fan trying to figure out what Grier will do, I don't think there's any chance he takes Parekh over pretty much any other top 6 D. The old regime might have considered this but Grier is all about "bigger, faster, hard to play against" and In RD alone, let alone LD, Lev and Yak are closer to the type of player he's been adding and targeting.

If we do get the Pens pick, I would wager that Grier picks 2 D and completely transforms our D pipeline. Any two of those top D would immediately be our top D prospects over Mukhamadullin.

I even think Demidov as a skill winger who is not big, is unlikely for the Sharks over Lev, Silayev, Dickinson, or perhaps even Yak or Buium.

I could be wrong!

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I even think Demidov as a skill winger who is not big, is unlikely for the Sharks over Lev, Silayev, Dickinson, or perhaps even Yak or Buium.

I could be wrong!

Personally I think of Demidov as a nasty hard to play against type of player. 5'11, very strong on his edges, and will hit to hurt. He can forecheck too.

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
From the snippets I have seen of him, I share your opinion that he should be able to at least play „ok“ Defence and that the offensive upside is worth taking that bet. Right now, his D looks exactly like the D EK65 played while with the Sharks. That was far from great, but because EK was excellent in exciting the D zone with possession and entering the O zone with possession, those deficits - while they made him look bad on a lot of highlight tapes - were far outweighed by the other aspects. Not saying Parekh is EK offensively, but his o-toolkit really is something else.

Have heard some Merkley comparisons, and while I see the similaritys, the comp doesn’t add up. Merkley failed cause he processed the game at a very slow speed. That worked in Juniors but as I couldn’t speed his decision-making up, it failed in the NHL. No such problem with Parekh.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
I though luca cagnoni was impressive on the power play last year, but parekh blows him out of the water. Parekh is also bigger and has some nice attributes. He takes over games and is really good at 5v5 offense too. He is an incredible asset to have. I do have to say, with all the comments about him being an exceptional skater, he isn’t all that explosive. Pretty average first step, and the top speed is a little above average.

I’ve seen some real progress in his defensive game this year. He gives plenty of effort covering guys and is always trying to do whats best for the team

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
From the snippets I have seen of him, I share your opinion that he should be able to at least play „ok“ Defence and that the offensive upside is worth taking that bet. Right now, his D looks exactly like the D EK65 played while with the Sharks. That was far from great, but because EK was excellent in exciting the D zone with possession and entering the O zone with possession, those deficits - while they made him look bad on a lot of highlight tapes - were far outweighed by the other aspects. Not saying Parekh is EK offensively, but his o-toolkit really is something else.

Have heard some Merkley comparisons, and while I see the similaritys, the comp doesn’t add up. Merkley failed cause he processed the game at a very slow speed. That worked in Juniors but as I couldn’t speed his decision-making up, it failed in the NHL. No such problem with Parekh.
Parekh has an elite processor.. His decision making and passing skill are also top of the class. He processes the game very much like EK imo.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Hard agree here. I’m not extremely high on Parekh or anything but the Ryan Merkley comparisons are out to lunch. Merkley has fantastic vision but no concept of when to use it. He’d just be stuck in decision paralysis until the defender was on him and pressured him into turning the puck over. I see nothing like that with Parekh. Everything Parekh does is quick, crisp, and intentional. He absolutely has NHL pace and NHL-caliber hockey IQ, unlike Merkley.

Whether Parekh pans out remains to be seen, but I also contend that his defense is not the worst amongst highly-touted draft eligible junior defenseman this season—that honor goes to Yakemchuk. Parekh definitely makes some defensive plays that make me cringe, but he is also capable of solid defensive plays and I think capable of becoming more consistent defensively. He’ll never be a stalwart, but I think he can get to “NHL-worthy”.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Hard agree here. I’m not extremely high on Parekh or anything but the Ryan Merkley comparisons are out to lunch. Merkley has fantastic vision but no concept of when to use it. He’d just be stuck in decision paralysis until the defender was on him and pressured him into turning the puck over. I see nothing like that with Parekh. Everything Parekh does is quick, crisp, and intentional. He absolutely has NHL pace and NHL-caliber hockey IQ, unlike Merkley.

Whether Parekh pans out remains to be seen, but I also contend that his defense is not the worst amongst highly-touted draft eligible junior defenseman this season—that honor goes to Yakemchuk. Parekh definitely makes some defensive plays that make me cringe, but he is also capable of solid defensive plays and I think capable of becoming more consistent defensively. He’ll never be a stalwart, but I think he can get to “NHL-worthy”.
Merkley also never progressed after his DY. His production plateaued (relative to how it should have grown) and he didn't round out his game

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
You personally know Zayne Parekh?
No, when did I ever say I did?

I know that someone who spits on an opponent, and has had the reputation of being overtly cocky isn’t the opposite of a head case though. That’s for sure.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Can you support that claim?
Horrible person. I heard he cured cancer and has yet to tell anyone how to do it. One time he donated $5,000.00 to a dog shelter to provide for more housing, then immediately cancelled the donation right after they transferred in more dogs. It was euthanization hell. Too many red flags for a team to take him with their 1st pick. It's almost like he should get drafted by a team that has 2 first round picks and a sketchy recent past.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Can you support that claim?
I’m providing information, whether you believe it or not is subject to your own opinion/the narrative you’re trying to push.

It isn’t the first, and it isn’t going to be the last time this is brought up in this thread.

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
Horrible person. I heard he cured cancer and has yet to tell anyone how to do it. One time he donated $5,000.00 to a dog shelter to provide for more housing, then immediately cancelled the donation right after they transferred in more dogs. It was euthanization hell. Too many red flags for a team to take him with their 1st pick. It's almost like he should get drafted by a team that has 2 first round picks and a sketchy recent past.
And these were the repercussions :

Reactions: Castle8130

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Which of us is pushing a narrative? You made the claim. Are you willing to support your claim?
I don’t need to. Just know, NHL teams know all about his character and I wouldn’t at all be surprised if some don’t want anything to do with him.

I mean, don’t know why you’re so surprised by this information. You don’t spit on another player (which is straight up assault) without being cocky and thinking you’re untouchable.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad