RD Zayne Parekh - Saginaw Spirit, OHL (2024 Draft)

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Makar didn't have Makar skating at 17 either.

Not to say that Parekh will ever reach that but his skating will end up much better than it is now.
Yes he did. Makar has always been a fluid skater, especially at 18. He didn’t gain an extra gear post draft, he has always Been this good of a skater its a big reason as to why he shot up draft boards in his draft year.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Yes he did. Makar has always been a fluid skater, especially at 18. He didn’t gain an extra gear post draft, he has always Been this good of a skater its a big reason as to why he shot up draft boards in his draft year.
If you think Makar's skating is the same as in his draft year I don't know that your opinion has much value. It's obviously improved a bunch.

Was it already high-end and elite for his age ? Sure. But it was nowhere near what it is today lol...

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
No one is at McDavid level - he's on a level all by himself. However - I would put Makar on the next level down from McDavid - like MacKinnon level. He has the edge work and agility but also extremely fast. If Parekh doesn't have that kind of speed then comparisons with Makar are nonsense.
Skating wise sure if we are talking 200 foot speed but his edges and instincts in the offensive zone are very elite.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Skating wise sure if we are talking 200 foot speed but his edges and instincts in the offensive zone are very elite.

Makar's edges and instincts in the offensive zone are very elite too - but what separates Makar from most other players is his end to end speed that allows him to drive (and often finish) plays from the d-zone in addition to being very good in an offensive zone "half court" game.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
They said the same about Mintyukov not the best defensive game but plenty of skill. He turned out alright and learned a different system in Ottawa. If Parekh gets traded next year to recoup some picks he learns a different system. Lazary wide open style didn’t work with Bode Wilde in his transition to the next level.
Offensively could be OHL point leader? At his age he needs discipline, determination, dedication equals development. IMO believe he will adjust and concentrate on his D and goes the way of Minty not Merkley

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Makar's edges and instincts in the offensive zone are very elite too - but what separates Makar from most other players is his end to end speed that allows him to drive (and often finish) plays from the d-zone in addition to being very good in an offensive zone "half court" game.
Sure that's the difference between the 2 style wise.

I'm also thinking people should temper their Makar comps he could get close but some NHL coaches he might drive nuts.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
They said the same about Mintyukov not the best defensive game but plenty of skill. He turned out alright and learned a different system in Ottawa. If Parekh gets traded next year to recoup some picks he learns a different system. Lazary wide open style didn’t work with Bode Wilde in his transition to the next level.
Offensively could be OHL point leader? At his age he needs discipline, determination, dedication equals development. IMO believe he will adjust and concentrate on his D and goes the way of Minty not Merkley

Mintyukov was always good defensively though, he was just a rover.

Parekh is a rover and not good defensively.

Both would get caught up ice frequently, as the Saginaw system entails, but when he was back in defensive position, Mintyukov had better technique for it. He's a much better physical package as well, so much strength on his edges and great defensive range with his stick.

I don't see any of that with Parekh. No technique, not a great physical package. I could see, if everything goes very well, Parekh following the Brandt Clarke path. That's his mold.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Wilde's issue was and always will be that he doesn't have a brain in his head. He could get by on skill in the OHL but was doomed after.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Pretty mighty words against a d-man who has more goals, points before getting drafted
since Doug Wilson.. Norris winner, scored about 250 goals and about 850 points in the NHL..

ello

Jun 12, 2018
Could not be 2 more different players. Mintyukov's defense was never really a question. Was pretty apparent he had the tools to be effective defensively all along.

Parekh on the other hand, does not and doesn't really play like he cares much about defense either. You just very rarely see dmen like Parekh in a Cup champ teams top 4 D. Makar is closest stylistically and he's much more explosive. A ~35-40 point 2 way stud is going to more valuable everyday of the week as long as your team has a PP quarterback, IMO

I'm not even being facetious when i say that I think Parekh could make a great winger at the NHL level. His release is almost Bedard-like. Pretty much every characteristic that makes him a good player is usually used to describe a forward.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Could not be 2 more different players. Mintyukov's defense was never really a question. Was pretty apparent he had the tools to be effective defensively all along.

Parekh on the other hand, does not and doesn't really play like he cares much about defense either. You just very rarely see dmen like Parekh in a Cup champ teams top 4 D. Makar is closest stylistically and he's much more explosive. A ~35-40 point 2 way stud is going to more valuable everyday of the week as long as your team has a PP quarterback, IMO

I'm not even being facetious when i say that I think Parekh could make a great winger at the NHL level. His release is almost Bedard-like. Pretty much every characteristic that makes him a good player is usually used to describe a forward.

Pre draft people did question Mintyukov's defense, I seem to remember scouts often ranking him closer to 15th or even 20th. But I think they just saw that he was a rover and didn't look closely enough.

Reactions: Blueston

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Pre draft people did question Mintyukov's defense, I seem to remember scouts often ranking him closer to 15th or even 20th. But I think they just saw that he was a rover and didn't look closely enough.

To the point Saginaws coach literally did an interview and pointed out that all of these things people complained about Mintyukov defensively were because he was following the coaches game plan perfectly in the ozone.

It’s fair to say that Parekhs defensive game isn’t great. It’s also fair to say that Saginaws system is not doing him favors on the defensive end. Since Saginaw is all about playing to player’s individual strengths, he’s allowed to be a 4th forward a lot of times. Obviously from the point totals it’s working

Does that mean he’s incapable of changing his play style? Of course not

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
To the point Saginaws coach literally did an interview and pointed out that all of these things people complained about Mintyukov defensively were because he was following the coaches game plan perfectly in the ozone.

It’s fair to say that Parekhs defensive game isn’t great. It’s also fair to say that Saginaws system is not doing him favors on the defensive end. Since Saginaw is all about playing to player’s individual strengths, he’s allowed to be a 4th forward a lot of times. Obviously from the point totals it’s working

Does that mean he’s incapable of changing his play style? Of course not

"Of course not" isn't very persuasive for me here. In the games I've seen (just a few) I didn't like how it looked when Parekh tried to play defense.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021

I can see the forward possibility. If the offensive instincts are there and the defensive side lacks that much, I could be a possibility. Wouldn’t be the first time we see it

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van

But the 40 pt 2 way D and the 75 pt offensive D accomplish the same goal. One isn't more valuable than the other. It's just different ways of getting to the same destination.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Parekh single-handedly winning Saginaw multiple games the last month with his offense and leading the way on a stacked roster.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Am I crazy for thinking this dude could go 2nd overall?

I’m as big of a Parekh fan as you’re going to find on here but 2nd overall would be a huge stretch with his defensive game as it stands. On pure offensive upside though there are few if any in this class that can compete

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00