RD Noah Dobson - Acadie-Bathurst Titan, QMJHL (2018, 12th, NYI)

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
One nice thing I read from the reviews of last nights game was Dobson played his off side(LD). Just looking at the long term of our team we actually might need a LHD more then a RHD in 3-4 years. Nice to have that versatility

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
One nice thing I read from the reviews of last nights game was Dobson played his off side(LD). Just looking at the long term of our team we actually might need a LHD more then a RHD in 3-4 years. Nice to have that versatility
Played his full 16 year old season on the left side

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Played his full 16 year old season on the left side

Like I said the versatility is nice, with Pulock already a RD, and hopefully Bode Wilde pans out, it might make more sense using Dobson on the left side for us(which seems to not be as stacked in terms of under 25 guys)

Reactions: PWJunior

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Like I said the versatility is nice, with Pulock already a RD, and hopefully Bode Wilde pans out, it might make more sense using Dobson on the left side for us(which seems to not be as stacked in terms of under 25 guys)

The versatility is a definite plus for the Isles going forward. Hopefully a top pairing LD can be found, Dobson isn't a bad alternative. Completely agree that the right side is significantly more promising than the left side for the Isles.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Only a fool thought Bennett would be better than Leon Draisaitl in their draft years. Seriously. I never, ever, ever, understood the Bennett hype. Bennett is the classic example of a Canadian kid getting all pumped up because he had heart, etc. That was just a dog awful pick by the Flames.

I mean if the Flames had 1st overall and picked Bennett I'd understand, but in hindsight at the time Bennett was still BPA. I wanted Nylander that time though and was excited when I heard we were trying to get Cam Ward and 7th overall.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
As promised earlier today, here's the Noah Dobson video that's been asked for...not a lot to diagram with him because he's not a dummy...I framed it to try to show some improvement as best as I could, but while still maintaining the integrity of consecutive shifts...apologies for Regina's camera angle, less than ideal...

Also, I decided that he was #43 in my title screen instead of #53...I'll fix that tomorrow, my apologies on that...knew I should have kept the receipt on that Journalism degree...

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Dobson reminds me of a right-handed McDonagh. Same type of profile. Big, very mobile, smart player who can really defend. He'll get a decent amount of points due to the minutes he plays, good passing, smart plays in the offensive zone and his mobility, but he's not going to walk a whole defense and five hole the goalie or blast the puck past the goalie clean.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
I do feel that Dobson has the puck carrying upside that McDonagh didn't really exhibit...that is to say, I think Dobson has the tools to better carry the puck across probably two lines. I don't think McD was a two-line carrier in his prime (also, playing for a team whose main breakout was rimming it around the boards and hoping that it catches a stanchion to Gaborik for a chunk of his prime probably didn't help...) as I don't think he can make a second forechecker miss...in fact, what do you think PB, did you feel comfortable with McD making a forechecker miss via a technical skill move...? I think that's where Dobson could potentially have the edge. I think he'll be able to beat one man in the NHL...with proper development, I think he might be able to beat two...but he's a ways from that...

That's an interesting comparable though and one that, frankly, I wouldn't have thought of...

Reactions: PWJunior

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I do feel that Dobson has the puck carrying upside that McDonagh didn't really exhibit...that is to say, I think Dobson has the tools to better carry the puck across probably two lines. I don't think McD was a two-line carrier in his prime (also, playing for a team whose main breakout was rimming it around the boards and hoping that it catches a stanchion to Gaborik for a chunk of his prime probably didn't help...) as I don't think he can make a second forechecker miss...in fact, what do you think PB, did you feel comfortable with McD making a forechecker miss via a technical skill move...? I think that's where Dobson could potentially have the edge. I think he'll be able to beat one man in the NHL...with proper development, I think he might be able to beat two...but he's a ways from that...

That's an interesting comparable though and one that, frankly, I wouldn't have thought of...

He definitely could if the situation called for it, but it wasn't "his game" to do it with much consistency. His ability to walk a tight rope with aggressive penalty killers rushing right at him was the only thing I liked about his game on the PP. He was good about not panicking, and could make players miss. But it seemed like a more creative or technical offensive game wasn't one he was trying to play on a shift by shift basis. I've only watched Dobson play a handful of times, so I don't claim to be an expert on the fine details, but when he's carrying the puck I see a lot of the same type of puck handling and carrying. More straight ahead, efficient play, but he can make you miss if he needs to.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Great performance from him today, few mistakes with the puck in the 1st but really bounced back and was excellent throughout.

I was really impressed with his defensive positioning and hockey IQ, he reads the play at both ends so well.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I think the thing I like most about Dobson is his ability to sense opportunities.

He’s always processing out there and when he sees that open ice or odd-man situation developing, he often pounces.

He may not always be the one making the play itself, but he’s regularly involved in the creation of the play.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
I still think Dobson at 12 will be one of the steals of this draft.

The Oilers are single handedly building the Islanders a dominant team.

First giving them Barzal now giving them Dobson by taking Bouchard at 10. Chia is secretly working for Wong.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018

First giving them Barzal now giving them Dobson by taking Bouchard at 10. Chia is secretly working for Wong.
Bouchard is the better offensive player, but it does seem like Dobson is good enough at offense that the gap between the two in that department isn't that considerable

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Great performance from him today, few mistakes with the puck in the 1st but really bounced back and was excellent throughout.

I was really impressed with his defensive positioning and hockey IQ, he reads the play at both ends so well.

I think he's got the inside track for the #1RD spot in December. Heavy ES against the top lines, #1PK, and #2PP. Bouchard as the #1PP QB. Ty Smith would be a good match for Dobson to partner with.

With no returning d-men, the pecking order is truly up for grabs. Good thing for Canada that the 2018 draft class is loaded with quality ones. Bodes well for next year too.

Reactions: SI90

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I think he's got the inside track for the #1RD spot in December. Heavy ES against the top lines, #1PK, and #2PP. Bouchard as the #1PP QB. Ty Smith would be a good match for Dobson to partner with.

With no returning d-men, the pecking order is truly up for grabs. Good thing for Canada that the 2018 draft class is loaded with quality ones. Bodes well for next year too.

Yeah I agree, I think Dobson's complete game will make him heavily relied upon for top matchups defensively and he'll likely emerge as the 1st pairing D with second team PP minutes along with first team PK duties.

2018 was a really strong year for Canadian D men, probably our best in the last number of years. Dobson, Bouchard, Smith, Woo, Addison, etc.

The top 3 Canadian Dmen from this draft bring a different dynamic that should be fun to watch, hopefully those 3 are in the lineup the next two games in the showcase.

scott99

May 13, 2005

As an Isles fan, I was thrilled to walk away with Wahlstrom and Dobson in the 1st round (and Bode Wilde in the 2nd). That being said, though I preferred Dobson over Bouchard, Bouchard is a helluva prospect, I’m a big fan of his. By the time both of these guys are 22, they may be two of the best young dmen in hockey. Don’t get down on Bouchard, he’s a stud. You might have a Bouchard/Dobson first power play pairing at the WJC, which would be a great pairing.

Reactions: snipes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad