RD Noah Dobson - Acadie-Bathurst Titan, QMJHL (2018, 12th, NYI)

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I'm not an Isles fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I agree with those saying that Dobson will be the 2nd best defenseman taken in this draft. I felt that way pre-draft and I still feel that way.

Dobson will be a blend of Pietrangelo and Werenski, and I think he ends up a shade below Seth Jones - that's how good I think he'll be.

Hughes and Boqvist will be small, PP dynamos like Krug and Gostisbehere types, so they'll be awesome as well.

Bouchard could end up a John Carlson, we'll see. I'm not as sold on him just yet, although Edmonton could be the perfect fit for him.

I also think Sandin and McIsaac will suprise and Miller is the ultimate wild card.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
No offense meant to Dobson, I just had Dahlin in his own tier at the top. Tier 2 includes Dobson, Hughes, Boqvist, and Bouchard in that order for me.

I agree with your whole post. I love Dobson too, wasn't trying to denigrate him at all.

I have them...

1. Dahlin

2. Dobson
3. Boqvist
4. Hughes / *Merkley if he can get his act together

5. Bouchard/Miller
6. Sandin/McIsaac/Wilde

I think Boqvist will be a hair better than Hughes at the NHL level, but they are close. Hughes is the better skater, but Boqvist does everything else better IMO. His decision-making is world class, as his is passing and shot. He processes plays in an instant, which is one of the best skills to have at the NHL level.

Reactions: 99664987

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Do not get the extreme hype from some people. What makes him so much better than for example wilde? Wilde is bigger but still more mobile. Dobson is good, but i think he is little overrated.

Last edited:

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Do not get the extreme hype from some people. What makes him so much better than for example wilde? Wilde is bigger but still more mobile. Dobson is good, but i think he is little overrated.

Have you watched him play a lot? Serious question.

If anyone (outside of Dahlin) has the "it factor" it's Dobson. His composure as a kid is alarming, comparable to Ivan Provorov at the same age.

Size: check. Dobson has an NHL frame and will end up 6-4, 220 pounds.

Skating: check. Dobson is smooth as butter.

Passing: check. He can make the outlet pass and QB the PP with the best of kids his age.

Shooting: check. Deceptive shot, good wrister, places he shots well.

Hockey IQ: check, in spades. He thinks the game at a very high level and makes very intelligent plays.

Stamina: check. Dobson is a horse. He can log a ton on minutes in all situations.

Reach: check. Above average wingspan that will only increase over the next couple of years.

Defensive awareness: check. Dobson is not a killer, but he is good in his own zone, plays the angles well, and has very good size.

Offensive awareness: check. He is very Dougie Hamilton in this regard.

While Hughes may be a better skater, Boqvist and Bouchard posses better shots, and Wilde have the physical edge, Dobson is the best D package in the draft behind Dahlin. He really doesn't have a weakness if you break down his game. And, unlike Hughes and Boqvist, he's not a squirt.

He'll end up in the mold of Jones, Pietrangelo, Werenski, Hamilton, etc.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
In addition to what has been said, Dobson is one of the smartest players in the draft class, while Wilde is a complete bonehead a lot of the time.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
In addition to what has been said, Dobson is one of the smartest players in the draft class, while Wilde is a complete bonehead a lot of the time.

Wilde probably has more dynamic tools, but he'll always be the 'sum is LESS than the parts' because he just doesn't think the game at a high level. Dobson's strongest asset is his intelligence and instincts.

As an Isles fan, I'm pretty thrilled we have both. It will be interesting to see how both develop. Dobson could be in the NHL by 2019-2020, not expecting Wilde to be ready any time soon and likely 2021-2022 at the earliest. That's because of the wide gap in hockey IQ.

Reactions: SI90 and 99664987

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Wilde probably has more dynamic tools, but he'll always be the 'sum is LESS than the parts' because he just doesn't think the game at a high level. Dobson's strongest asset is his intelligence and instincts.

As an Isles fan, I'm pretty thrilled we have both. It will be interesting to see how both develop. Dobson could be in the NHL by 2019-2020, not expecting Wilde to be ready any time soon and likely 2021-2022 at the earliest. That's because of the wide gap in hockey IQ.
It is possible Wilde's low hockey IQ keeps him from making the NHL.

We will have to wait and see

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
It is possible Wilde's low hockey IQ keeps him from making the NHL.

We will have to wait and see

Wilde does have some really impressive tools, coaching will be key for him. Considering big, swift, and skilled RD's are so valuable... he'll get a very long leash to make it. Even if he disappoints, he'll be a desired trade piece as long as he doesn't totally crap the bed.

I have no such reservations with Dobson.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
I bet playing in the Q dropped his draft stock. Even though he won the mem cup. How does a player with that skillset, that production at that age while winning the mem cup go 12th. The top of the Q is really good, the bottom and mid tier teams are awful.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Have you watched him play a lot? Serious question.

If anyone (outside of Dahlin) has the "it factor" it's Dobson. His composure as a kid is alarming, comparable to Ivan Provorov at the same age.

Size: check. Dobson has an NHL frame and will end up 6-4, 220 pounds.

Skating: check. Dobson is smooth as butter.

Passing: check. He can make the outlet pass and QB the PP with the best of kids his age.

Shooting: check. Deceptive shot, good wrister, places he shots well.

Hockey IQ: check, in spades. He thinks the game at a very high level and makes very intelligent plays.

Stamina: check. Dobson is a horse. He can log a ton on minutes in all situations.

Reach: check. Above average wingspan that will only increase over the next couple of years.

Defensive awareness: check. Dobson is not a killer, but he is good in his own zone, plays the angles well, and has very good size.

Offensive awareness: check. He is very Dougie Hamilton in this regard.

While Hughes may be a better skater, Boqvist and Bouchard posses better shots, and Wilde have the physical edge, Dobson is the best D package in the draft behind Dahlin. He really doesn't have a weakness if you break down his game. And, unlike Hughes and Boqvist, he's not a squirt.

He'll end up in the mold of Jones, Pietrangelo, Werenski, Hamilton, etc.

Of all the players the Sens passed on at 4, Dobson is the one I am (by far) the most enamored with. Would have been thrilled with him at 4. I see a lot of Pietrangelo in him.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I really hope Dobson is the real deal and can reach or come close to his potential. The islanders as a franchise have been starving for a true #1 franchise defenseman for decades now.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
Terrific skater, quick and efficient and mobile in all directions. Skills and hockey sense, while good, not as good as the players taken ahead of him. That's why he's the 5th defenseman taken. One thing I don't like, you see him receive the puck and look around and have to think about what to do. He's not one of those guys who is several steps ahead. Doesn't always read the play defensively. Relies a lot on his excellent skating and ranginess to get things done. Even the team that took him, took a winger ahead of him; as such doubt even they project him confidently to be a #1 defenseman. Nevertheless you never limit the potential of a 17 yo, I just think there's plenty to doubt there.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Even the team that took him, took a winger ahead of him; as such doubt even they project him confidently to be a #1 defenseman.

I could be wrong here but I think Wahlstrom got picked first because he was more marketable(an American high scoring forward). I also think they saved Dobson till 12 just to see if anybody ups the offer to pick him knowing he was left

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Terrific skater, quick and efficient and mobile in all directions. Skills and hockey sense, while good, not as good as the players taken ahead of him. That's why he's the 5th defenseman taken. One thing I don't like, you see him receive the puck and look around and have to think about what to do. He's not one of those guys who is several steps ahead. Doesn't always read the play defensively. Relies a lot on his excellent skating and ranginess to get things done. Even the team that took him, took a winger ahead of him; as such doubt even they project him confidently to be a #1 defenseman. Nevertheless you never limit the potential of a 17 yo, I just think there's plenty to doubt there.

You lost me when you brought up the fact that the islanders picked a winger before him in consecutive picks and tried to use it as an indictment against him.

For all we know they flipped a coin to see who they would take first. They had consecutive picks. They knew they were taking both guys.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Every time I see Wilde play( which is not often...Mebbe 7-8 times?) he seems to have a " not it" factor going for him.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
You lost me when you brought up the fact that the islanders picked a winger before him in consecutive picks and tried to use it as an indictment against him.

For all we know they flipped a coin to see who they would take first. They had consecutive picks. They knew they were taking both guys.

No teams generally follow their list to a T, out of formality. Listen to Brian Burke talk about drafting the Sedins, they took Daniel first because they thought he was a better scorer; in retrospect he wished he took Henrik first! And they do this so that if a team does blow their socks off with a trade last minute, at least they got the guy they preferred.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Every time I see Wilde play( which is not often...Mebbe 7-8 times?) he seems to have a " not it" factor going for him.
I’ve seen him even less, but it was already apparent that he is often lost, hesitant, or panicky on the ice. Still though, there’s no doubting the physical tools; the guy is just huge and skates like the wind.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
I have them...

1. Dahlin

2. Dobson
3. Boqvist

5. Bouchard/Miller
6. Sandin/McIsaac/Wilde

I think Boqvist will be a hair better than Hughes at the NHL level, but they are close. Hughes is the better skater, but Boqvist does everything else better IMO. His decision-making is world class, as his is passing and shot. He processes plays in an instant, which is one of the best skills to have at the NHL level.

Hughes is also better defensively than Boqvist though. Big part of why he made the American WC team. Don’t think Boqvist makes that team, just like he won’t make the AHL after this summer.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I have them...

1. Dahlin

2. Dobson
3. Boqvist

5. Bouchard/Miller
6. Sandin/McIsaac/Wilde

s

What nhl player would you compare Wilde to and is his upside higher then Pulock's?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I have them...

1. Dahlin

2. Dobson
3. Boqvist

5. Bouchard/Miller
6. Sandin/McIsaac/Wilde

I’m surprised Ty Smith is no where to be found. I think he has higher upside than Dobson.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I’m surprised Ty Smith is no where to be found. I think he has higher upside than Dobson.

No chance in hell. Comparing Ty Smith to Dobson will be like comparing Josh Morrissey to Seth Jones in 3 years.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
What nhl player would you compare Wilde to and is his upside higher then Pulock's?

Wilde sort of reminds me a little of a right handed Dion Phaneuf... just not sure which Phaneuf he will be - the young, star Phaneuf, or the older Phaneuf who is solid but flawed. I think he could be better than Pulock, yes. Pulock has the heart and massive shot though.

But Dobson will leave them both in the dust in a few years. He's the Isles future #1 cornerstone D.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Bouchard over Dobson was an absolutely fatal mistake for the Oilers.

Indeed. In fact, I couldn't believe the Oilers were "lucking" into Dobson, only to see them pass on him LOL. The Habs, Yotes and Oilers are going to look like the biggest buffoons in the league, passing on Zadina and Dobson for the players they took. Maybe there's a reason all 3 continue to struggle and underachieve.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad