RD Noah Dobson - Acadie-Bathurst Titan, QMJHL (2018, 12th, NYI)

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I'm not so sure about that

How many 1Ds are his size? None.

In the Pacific I think Hughes will get pushed around and won't be able to clear the crease. Dobson's size and defensive acumen make it a no brainer.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018

In the Pacific I think Hughes will get pushed around and won't be able to clear the crease. Dobson's size and defensive acumen make it a no brainer.
Possible. Hughes is a very dynamic offensive player however. Definitely close.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
And an outstanding skater, not taking that away at all. I just think that highly of Dobson's 200 foot game.
I like that Dobson seems to do everything well, if not “outstanding”. Good speed, good awareness, defensive acumen, offensive game etc.

Hughes is truly outstanding in some areas and needs work in others

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
IMO Dobson is the safer bet at NHL level to be an all around good player where as Hughes has potential to be waaaay more dynamic and perfect for the new NHL but not as complete.

Should be very interesting to see how they turn out. But IMO these 2 are the ones we will be talking about most from this draft

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

I love Dobson but clearing the crease has never stopped Karlsson or Neidermayer from being regarded as 1D.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
IMO Dobson is the safer bet at NHL level to be an all around good player where as Hughes has potential to be waaaay more dynamic and perfect for the new NHL but not as complete.

Should be very interesting to see how they turn out. But IMO these 2 are the ones we will be talking about most from this draft

Very different players that impact the game in different ways.

As the likely #1D's for their respective countries in December, it will be fun to watch them show off their wares.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Dobson is scary. Just keeps rising and rising and getting better as time goes on. Let’s hope he just continues to develop and can eventually become a true number #1 Defensman. My islanders haven’t had a true #1 in decades. It’s time.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Dobson is scary. Just keeps rising and rising and getting better as time goes on. Let’s hope he just continues to develop and can eventually become a true number #1 Defensman. My islanders haven’t had a true #1 in decades. It’s time.

With the way his game is trending up, he could be the best d-man in the entire CHL next year. Starring as the alpha dog on Team Canada's blue line as an 18 year old is impressive... he turns 19 right when the WJC is over.

Obviously thrilled with him as an Isles fan, it has been forever since we've had a legit #1D upside prospect. I'm all in on this kid.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
With the way his game is trending up, he could be the best d-man in the entire CHL next year. Starring as the alpha dog on Team Canada's blue line as an 18 year old is impressive... he turns 19 right when the WJC is over.

Obviously thrilled with him as an Isles fan, it has been forever since we've had a legit #1D upside prospect. I'm all in on this kid.

You loved him before he was drafted!!! You were the driver of the Dobson train. I came on board after seeing him in the memorial cup. He’s just got everything you want in a top pairing nhl Defensman in today’s nhl. Size,skill,smarts, and skating ability.

Reactions: PWJunior

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Dobson breaking out could legitimize the post-Tavares Islanders to the point where I'd want to buy a jersey and jump on their bandwagon. I was already thinking about it because they grabbed both of the players I wanted Vancouver to draft

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Aucoin was absolutely a #1 dman in his short time here

Loved Aucoin. He was a beast but he was only here for a couple of seasons. He had one really great year for us. I’m talking about a true number 1 Franchise Defensman.

Doughty Hedman Pietrangelo Karlsson

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Loved Aucoin. He was a beast but he was only here for a couple of seasons. He had one really great year for us. I’m talking about a true number 1 Franchise Defensman.

Doughty Hedman Pietrangelo Karlsson

Only Potvin would fit that criteria for the Isles. Everything would have to come together perfectly for young Noah to ever live up to that. I will pray with all my heart that it happens, but that's a lot of wishful thinking.

What you're describing is the homegrown star on the blue line that anchors the unit for a decade. While Kenny Jonsson was acquired from Toronto, would you happy if Dobson became that caliber of player? While they are different players, KJ was a steady and solid presence on the blue line for a long time and did wear the C. At this point, I'm kind of thinking that Dobson's baseline projection is a KJ-level player that is a strong #2D/fringe #1D and can eat up minutes. I am a bit biased so I'm definitely hoping for more, but I wouldn't hate it.

For me, Dobson is the best d-man prospect we've had since Eric Brewer. Thankfully it's Lou and Trotz watching over this kid rather than Milbury. Brewer was hyped as a future Norris-type of d-man if I recall correctly and was the one who would be our next Potvin and also pushing KJ down to the #2LD spot which would have been insane back then. Different time, different era, and different circumstances.

In this era as the Isles seem on their way of graduating from Mickey Mouse to legitimate NHL franchise, I'm thrilled to have a legit potential #1D in the pipeline. Lou is the GM, Trotz is the coach, Belmont will be the new home. I'm very confident they know what to do and will put him in a position to succeed.

Reactions: SI90

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Only Potvin would fit that criteria for the Isles. Everything would have to come together perfectly for young Noah to ever live up to that. I will pray with all my heart that it happens, but that's a lot of wishful thinking.

What you're describing is the homegrown star on the blue line that anchors the unit for a decade. While Kenny Jonsson was acquired from Toronto, would you happy if Dobson became that caliber of player? While they are different players, KJ was a steady and solid presence on the blue line for a long time and did wear the C. At this point, I'm kind of thinking that Dobson's baseline projection is a KJ-level player that is a strong #2D/fringe #1D and can eat up minutes. I am a bit biased so I'm definitely hoping for more, but I wouldn't hate it.

For me, Dobson is the best d-man prospect we've had since Eric Brewer. Thankfully it's Lou and Trotz watching over this kid rather than Milbury. Brewer was hyped as a future Norris-type of d-man if I recall correctly and was the one who would be our next Potvin and also pushing KJ down to the #2LD spot which would have been insane back then. Different time, different era, and different circumstances.

In this era as the Isles seem on their way of graduating from Mickey Mouse to legitimate NHL franchise, I'm thrilled to have a legit potential #1D in the pipeline. Lou is the GM, Trotz is the coach, Belmont will be the new home. I'm very confident they know what to do and will put him in a position to succeed.

Obviously the dream and hope is a perennial Norris contender but obviously a lot would have to go perfect. I’d be more than happy with a steady top pairing guy who we can count on in all situations. The dream is a true #1 and it’s awesoem that Dobson at least for now allows us to have that dream.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Dobson breaking out could legitimize the post-Tavares Islanders to the point where I'd want to buy a jersey and jump on their bandwagon. I was already thinking about it because they grabbed both of the players I wanted Vancouver to draft
Now I hope he does! Always room for more isles sympathiezers ;)

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

Obviously the dream and hope is a perennial Norris contender but obviously a lot would have to go perfect. I’d be more than happy with a steady top pairing guy who we can count on in all situations. The dream is a true #1 and it’s awesoem that Dobson at least for now allows us to have that dream.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad