RD Noah Dobson - Acadie-Bathurst Titan, QMJHL (2018, 12th, NYI)

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Based on what?

His skating, anticipation (which I guess would classify under IQ), and offensive ability stand out to me.

Smith’s style reminds me of Keith while Dobson’s reminds me of Suter.

I guess it just comes down to stylistic preference, because I think both will be very good

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
He gets touted as an offensive dman and maybe that's true but people are going to be surprised by his defense if that part of his game transitions to the NHL. He looked like a great all-around dman with the Titan. He was probably my favorite player in the draft to be honest outside of Dahlin. He should be a really good player for the Isles.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
He gets touted as an offensive dman and maybe that's true but people are going to be surprised by his defense if that part of his game transitions to the NHL. He looked like a great all-around dman with the Titan. He was probably my favorite player in the draft to be honest outside of Dahlin. He should be a really good player for the Isles.

In general it seems more people feel he will be good defensively but how high is his offensive ceiling.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Bouchard over Dobson was an absolutely fatal mistake for the Oilers.
Indeed. In fact, I couldn't believe the Oilers were "lucking" into Dobson, only to see them pass on him LOL. The Habs, Yotes and Oilers are going to look like the biggest buffoons in the league, passing on Zadina and Dobson for the players they took. Maybe there's a reason all 3 continue to struggle and underachieve.

So was Draisaitl over Bennett LOL
Oilers fans heard crap from posters of this site for over a year about how we gave Calgary a #1C and drafted a bust. How did that one turn out again?

Time will be the judge, as it is with all prospects. Oilers fans are quite happy with Bouchy as is.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
So was Draisaitl over Bennett LOL
Oilers fans heard crap from posters of this site for over a year about how we gave Calgary a #1C and drafted a bust. How did that one turn out again?

Time will be the judge, as it is with all prospects. Oilers fans are quite happy with Bouchy as is.

Only a fool thought Bennett would be better than Leon Draisaitl in their draft years. Seriously. I never, ever, ever, understood the Bennett hype. Bennett is the classic example of a Canadian kid getting all pumped up because he had heart, etc. That was just a dog awful pick by the Flames.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Agreed. Haven't seen too many people consider Dobson as an offensive d-man. His appeal is more about his complete 3-zone game rather than his ability to put up points.

there are plenty of people who think he is an offensive dman, which is sad, cause they are mislead by the fact he was doing it at the CHL level.

expert scouts are able to recognize him as a future 2way defender, as in not a pure offensive dman, but a all around dman.

new hockey tv scouts, stats scouts thinks he will be truly an offensive monster.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
there are plenty of people who think he is an offensive dman, which is sad, cause they are mislead by the fact he was doing it at the CHL level.

expert scouts are able to recognize him as a future 2way defender, as in not a pure offensive dman, but a all around dman.

new hockey tv scouts, stats scouts thinks he will be truly an offensive monster.

Pietrangelo 2.0.

I had him 3rd, Zadina 4th, Tkachuk 5th. I think he has the best chance of surpassing Svechnikov as the 2nd best player in the draft (although I don't think he will)

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Agreed. Haven't seen too many people consider Dobson as an offensive d-man. His appeal is more about his complete 3-zone game rather than his ability to put up points.
Hedman, Pietrangelo, Jones, Doughty, Keith and McAvoy are are complete defensemen. Why couldn't Dobson put up 55 points in a few years, playing 26 minutes a night and QBing a PP that features Barzal, Wahlstrom, etc.? Ivan Provorov was a 19 year old 2-way defenseman who had limited PP1 time last year and still tied for the lead in goals by a defenseman (17). Dobson's mobility, stamina and IQ are fantastic. He's very reminiscent of Pietrangelo and Hamilton on the PP point.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Hedman, Pietrangelo, Jones, Doughty, Keith and McAvoy are are complete defensemen. Why couldn't Dobson put up 55 points in a few years, playing 26 minutes a night and QBing a PP that features Barzal, Wahlstrom, etc.? Ivan Provorov was a 19 year old 2-way defenseman who had limited PP1 time last year and still tied for the lead in goals by a defenseman (17). Dobson's mobility, stamina and IQ are fantastic. He's very reminiscent of Pietrangelo and Hamilton on the PP point.

Hedman, Pietrangelo, Jones, Doughty, these guys were considered offensive dmans.

that said if he puts up 60 points for them that be awesome. It was calgarys pick you guys used on him anyways.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Hedman, Pietrangelo, Jones, Doughty, these guys were considered offensive dmans.

that said if he puts up 60 points for them that be awesome. It was calgarys pick you guys used on him anyways.

Well I'm not an Islanders fan at all - I'm a Flyers fan who doesn't really like the Islanders TBH. But I thought Dobson was an absolute stud heading into the draft so I'm not going to change my tune now that he's an Isle.

Hedman, Pietrangelo, Jones and Doughty were all considered, "2-way, franchise defensemen." Karlsson, Klingberg, Ellis, Letang, etc. were all considered "offensive defensemen." I think Dobson will (at least) be every bit as good as Dougie Hamilton. He's a minute-munching D who has scored 50 and some even have pegged for 55 or 60 now that he's on the Canes and will be taking on a larger role.

The jury is still out on Dobson at the NHL level. You could end up being right. And I don't know about 60 points, but I could see Dobson being a 50-55 guy, which would put him in the Hamilton, Subban, Barrie, Pietrangelo, Doughty crowd offensively. I wouldn't expect him to put up 70 like a Hedman, Burns, Karlsson etc.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
The jury is still out on Dobson at the NHL level. You could end up being right. And I don't know about 60 points, but I could see Dobson being a 50-55 guy, which would put him in the Hamilton, Subban, Barrie, Pietrangelo, Doughty crowd offensively. I wouldn't expect him to put up 70 like a Hedman, Burns, Karlsson etc.

My 2 cents is if the offense doesn't pan out for Dobson he probably will carve himself out a career like Jay Bouwmeester

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
My 2 cents is if the offense doesn't pan out for Dobson he probably will carve himself out a career like Jay Bouwmeester

Definitely. I think Dobson has better offensive chops than J-Bo ever had though. So I have more faith in him putting up Pietrangelo or Hamilton numbers, which aren't elite, but they are quality.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Bouwmeester is getting underrated here. Pre Calgary Bouwmeester was an amazing puck moving dman. Dobson is a 35-45 point player in the NHL imo. That is the most likely scenario. 35-45 all situation dman is basically Doughty maybe minus a few points here and there. Players dont consistently put up over 50+ unless if you have one dynamic skill which Dobson does not currently possess. He could develop it , but who knows.

westbeast

Jun 22, 2017
I just don't think Dobson has a strong enough point shot for the NHL. It'll be hard putting up points without a good shot. Reminds me a bit of Darnell Nurse in juniors (good mobility, can rush the puck up, can defend) but he's failed to put up points due to his weak shot. Obviously Dobson has a far superior hockey IQ than nurse

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
I just don't think Dobson has a strong enough point shot for the NHL. It'll be hard putting up points without a good shot. Reminds me a bit of Darnell Nurse in juniors (good mobility, can rush the puck up, can defend) but he's failed to put up points due to his weak shot. Obviously Dobson has a far superior hockey IQ than nurse
I'm not claiming to be an expert on either's CHL situation, but Dobson had much higher point and goal totals in his draft season than Nurse basically ever did in juniors

Reactions: PWJunior

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
And an unbelievable shot, no clue where this bad shot is coming from...

Reactions: 99664987

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Well I'm not an Islanders fan at all - I'm a Flyers fan who doesn't really like the Islanders TBH. But I thought Dobson was an absolute stud heading into the draft so I'm not going to change my tune now that he's an Isle.

Hedman, Pietrangelo, Jones and Doughty were all considered, "2-way, franchise defensemen." Karlsson, Klingberg, Ellis, Letang, etc. were all considered "offensive defensemen." I think Dobson will (at least) be every bit as good as Dougie Hamilton. He's a minute-munching D who has scored 50 and some even have pegged for 55 or 60 now that he's on the Canes and will be taking on a larger role.

Dobson is never going to be as good as Subban offensively.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
And an unbelievable shot, no clue where this bad shot is coming from...

I wouldn't say it's an unbelievable shot, but I think it's very good in terms of release and ability to get it on net. Dobson is a twig, his shot should get heavier as he gets bigger and stronger. It may never be the weapon that Pulock has (that's an unbelievable shot), but it should be a plus in his game. He's pretty much plus in every tool anyway, just doesn't have that one elite thing that stands above the rest. Maybe it's the hockey IQ that's elite?

Seems like Dobson is impressing in the Showcase. I think he's one of the favorites for a top pairing spot for the WJC team. I know he played his off side his first year for ABT, the right side last year so he can play either spot. Heavy ES, #1PK, #2PP is what I envision for him.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
One thing that's noteworthy to me in this part of the development curve is being able to shoot/hit a moving puck...that sounds stupid. But getting good wood (or other material, as it were) on a moving puck is crucial in today's game. You don't always get that time to dust it off. That's more important to me (within reason) than having a rocket that finds every shin pad in the house...

Dobson is my next video, as the mob had spoken, so I'll have some shooting sequences in there...he has a plus shot...

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
awesome!! Thank you in behalf of isles fans. Really enjoy your videos.
One thing that's noteworthy to me in this part of the development curve is being able to shoot/hit a moving puck...that sounds stupid. But getting good wood (or other material, as it were) on a moving puck is crucial in today's game. You don't always get that time to dust it off. That's more important to me (within reason) than having a rocket that finds every shin pad in the house...

Dobson is my next video, as the mob had spoken, so I'll have some shooting sequences in there...he has a plus shot...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad