RD Moritz Seider (2019, 6th, DET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
I don’t get this never ending conversation about BMI. Just saying it’s better for the kid not to get fat. There isn’t any more to it.

anyway he’s been great in the AHL so far

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I don’t get this never ending conversation about BMI. Just saying it’s better for the kid not to get fat. There isn’t any more to it.

anyway he’s been great in the AHL so far

Its never ending because people shouldnt bring up BMI ever. Its an outdated, stupid means of "assessing" someones weight. Its pretty stupid for the regular population, for a pro athlete... ridiculously stupid to bring up

Reactions: grentthealien

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Its never ending because people shouldnt bring up BMI ever. Its an outdated, stupid means of "assessing" someones weight. Its pretty stupid for the regular population, for a pro athlete... ridiculously stupid to bring up
Alright cut the BMI then. It’s a tangential conversation not relevant to the point. The point is he shouldn’t be packing on pounds for the sake of pounds and lots of players lose mobility at 230-240 at seiders height if they’re not careful.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Alright cut the BMI then. It’s a tangential conversation not relevant to the point. The point is he shouldn’t be packing on pounds for the sake of pounds and lots of players lose mobility at 230-240 at seiders height if they’re not careful.

I dont think any NHL player or training staff would tell a player to pack on pounds for the sake of packing on pounds though either. Yes, its bad for him to eat wendys after every practice and pack on pounds. But I think its safe to say thats not what anyone is talking about doing in this thread.

Seider has a huge frame at 6'4, an even bigger wingspan and is built like he can add a lot of weight. How many 6'4, 230lb high first rounds pick are there even playing defense in the NHL? I'm not sure its fair to say a lot of them lose mobility at that weight, and if they do I'm not sure its not an overall benefit because of them being stronger in other areas.

For example, Hedman is one of the best skaters in the entire league and hes in that range. 240 definitely might be pushing it, but I would expect him to be in that 230 range and still skate just fine while being an even bigger physical force and stronger in other areas of the game.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
He looks really good tonight, reminds me of Victor Hedman so much. Only flaw that stands out is a below average shot but suspect that will improve some with age.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
He looks really good tonight, reminds me of Victor Hedman so much. Only flaw that stands out is a below average shot but suspect that will improve some with age.

Below average slap shot. Hes got a really good snap shot that gets on net. If he ever wants to get used on the PP though he needs to work on that one timer.

He might be one of the bigger hitters when he gets into the NHL as well. He seems like he has 2 or 3 big hits a game at this point

Ingvar

Jan 16, 2016
Moscow
Below average slap shot. Hes got a really good snap shot that gets on net. If he ever wants to get used on the PP though he needs to work on that one timer.

He might be one of the bigger hitters when he gets into the NHL as well. He seems like he has 2 or 3 big hits a game at this point
Slap shots are more and more useless every year. He should prioritize other things.
SS-Table.png

Reactions: Ratatoskr

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
It is really fun to think back to the first time I had seen Seider play (I think it was the 15/16 season) after a fellow hockey fan I met on the train, had pointed him out to me as a great talent.
I watched one game and he was very good, but I did not see how special he could be. But the next time I saw him, a couple of months later, he blew my mind.
But as good as he was then, to see ho far he has come since, is still amazing to see.

It seems like he is adapting to the AHL just as well as he has to every other league or level he has played at so far.
The NHL will obviously be the biggest test for him and it may take longer than the others, but I would expect him to be a solid and effective dman at the NHL level by the time he turns 20 maybe even sooner than that.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
1 goal and 9 assists in 18 games for the offensively challenged 18 year old defenseman.

Brandon Carlo comparable. :sarcasm:

Yeah that take was always a joke and basically a telltale sign of who had never really seen him play and was relying on boxscore watching to form their opinion. I mean you did not even have to watch any DEL games to see that he had plenty of offensive upside. Just watching what he did at the World Cup against men should have given everyone a clue that there certainly was some offensive upside there to say the least. People just underrated how tough it is to produce in the lowly regarded DEL for a 17 year old Dman.

I think he will give Byram a serious run for his money down the line for best D and has a good chance of being better than him.
The only big worry I have always had with Seider is injuries. He has gotten injured a lot over the short time I have followed his career and that is why I was a bit hesitant about him getting picked as high even though I absolutely love his game. If he can overcome these issues due to his body developing and getting stronger that would be amazing.
Hope he can stay healthy. If he does I think people will go from laughing at Detroit for "reaching" on him to praise them and ask maybe even a couple of teams in front of them why they did not pick him (hope Byram does well enough for the Avs not to be one of them).

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
extremely high hockey iq + very rugged + very soft hands + very graceful skater all 360 degrees with good not great speed + always all in hustling with a great attitude and leadership personality + smart accurate wrister . its hard to imangine a more complete type dman than this seider design . you can only critique his to date lack of rocket slap shot but for my money an accurate smart wrister a better weapon in these days of composite sticks . this guy is nearing phenom level , after watching red wings pre season i decided to spend the 100 dollars for ahl tv because of ''side's''. guarantee hes a #1 dman in the nhl , its just a matter of if he can become thee #1 dman amongst #1 dmen !

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Just 1 goal in 18 games is a bit of a disappointment, though. I was under the impression that he had some goal-scoring potential after watching him at worlds. But perhaps he's going to end up being a "4+60"-type after all.

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018
Yeah that take was always a joke and basically a telltale sign of who had never really seen him play and was relying on boxscore watching to form their opinion. I mean you did not even have to watch any DEL games to see that he had plenty of offensive upside. Just watching what he did at the World Cup against men should have given everyone a clue that there certainly was some offensive upside there to say the least. People just underrated how tough it is to produce in the lowly regarded DEL for a 17 year old Dman.

I think he will give Byram a serious run for his money down the line for best D and has a good chance of being better than him.
The only big worry I have always had with Seider is injuries. He has gotten injured a lot over the short time I have followed his career and that is why I was a bit hesitant about him getting picked as high even though I absolutely love his game. If he can overcome these issues due to his body developing and getting stronger that would be amazing.
Hope he can stay healthy. If he does I think people will go from laughing at Detroit for "reaching" on him to praise them and ask maybe even a couple of teams in front of them why they did not pick him (hope Byram does well enough for the Avs not to be one of them).

Even if Seider turns out better than Byram long-term (and it's way too early to speculate that hypothetical in my opinion, especially with BB not playing pro hockey yet), he was consistently regarded as the best defenseman of the draft and a top 5 pick, so Colorado shouldn't be kicking themselves for taking the obvious choice at all this early.

I like both of them as prospects a lot, I do think Byram ultimately has an offensive game that Seider will never have. He's much better at quarterbacking a power play and has a better and more accurate shot, where Seider is more well rounded for playing tough minutes and (right now) has just more refined defensive game and awareness. That said, even with his offensive success in the AHL, I'm not convinced Seider will be all that good offensively in the NHL, (like Parayko) even in 3-4 years, but will make up for it by being a defenseman who can play up to 25 minutes a night, play against and neutralize the toughest quality of competition and help dictate possession and drive play for the forwards.

Seider has yet to be injured this season, which is a good sign. He's taken some pretty big hits from players in the AHL and has been targeted at occasions (seems to be common for young players in the AHL from what I've seen), but he's stood his ground and has defended himself pretty well enough to not be a target like Zadina often was last season.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Seider has the make up of the prospects, who in the past, would have been taken somewhere between the mid first and second round, only to have teams questioning in several years how they couldn't recognize the talent of the player. Like a Weber, Josi, Carlson, or Letang. The obvious difference being that Seider never had that fall. Good on the Wings European scouts and scouting staff in general having the presence needed to watch and identify the talent, and obviously the guts to make the pick.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Just 1 goal in 18 games is a bit of a disappointment, though. I was under the impression that he had some goal-scoring potential after watching him at worlds. But perhaps he's going to end up being a "4+60"-type after all.

Yeah it's slightly concerning actually. He only has 15 shots on the season so far, which just seems very low, especially considering that he does have a pretty good shot. I'm only stat watching and watching highlights so i don't have the full picture, would be interesting to see how many attempted shots he has to figure out if he's struggling to get the shots through or if he's simply not utilizing his shot.

On the other hand it's good that he's been able to collect 10 points so far despite not using his shot, a lot of defensemen get a lot of their assists through deflections and rebound shots. So it appears that Seider is getting his points through solid transitioning and good possession plays. Hopefully he can add another dimension to his offense by utilizing his shot.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA

The goals will come with time imo. It's very encouraging to see every other facet of his game is transferring over to the North American game.

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Honestly the points are just a bonus. The rest of his game (considering his age) is just unreal.

For those who don’t know, Seider is essentially playing a top pairing role on the Griffins at the moment, plus pk and pp. He’s getting better each and every game.

I don’t think people realize just how physical this kid is. He’s blowing people up at least once a game and his reverse hits are pretty devastating a lot of the time. With these new age defenseman taking over the league (Makar, Hughes, etc) it’s really cool to see a player like Mo just lean on people and separate them from the puck so consistently.

The Griffins radio team has seen a ton of talent come through GR over the years and I’ve never heard them hype up a kid as much as they do with Mo. It’s borderline obnoxious and I love every second of it.

Reactions: Szechwan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad