RD Moritz Seider (2019, 6th, DET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
And looking at Nurse, he actually looks pretty skinny. 230 isnt that much for a guy that size. Mantha is the same way in Detroit. More of a tall and lanky build, definitely doesnt look really thick but a great skater at that size
230 is overweight at 6 foot 4. Difference is these athletes have significant muscle mass so BMI isn't as reliable for them, but let's not pretend that a weight of 230-250 for a regular person at 6'4" is normal, because thats a BMI of 28-30 which is between high end of overweight and low end of obese.

230 would be fine for Seider, but much more than that will limit his mobility unless he puts on a huge amount of muscle.

Last edited:

Christien

May 1, 2010
Red Wings fans., how has Seider looked in the AHL so far? Who's he paired with? Power play time?
Hes been paired with Lashoff primarily and sometimes Hicketts from what I can remember. They’ve been using him on the power play and the penalty kill as well. The first game that he played, I thought that he looked good, ended up getting his first AHL point. Last night was the second game he played, which was the Griffins home opener and he looked like he was struggling out there unfortunately. However, the whole entire team looked horrible last night and nobody could make anything happen out there. Hopefully the team and Moritz can bounce back tonight when they play Rockford

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Hes been paired with Lashoff primarily and sometimes Hicketts from what I can remember. They’ve been using him on the power play and the penalty kill as well. The first game that he played, I thought that he looked good, ended up getting his first AHL point. Last night was the second game he played, which was the Griffins home opener and he looked like he was struggling out there unfortunately. However, the whole entire team looked horrible last night and nobody could make anything happen out there. Hopefully the team and Moritz can bounce back tonight when they play Rockford
Thanks for the reply. Lashoff seems like a solid veteran partner for Seider. That's always a good dynamic for defensemen learning their trade in the AHL.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
230 is overweight at 6 foot 4.

.......What? Are you using BMI because Crosby's BMI is slightly higher than that. Guess Sid needs to lose some weight because athletes arent supposed to have weight on them.

Crosby isn't far of from being considered "obese" by BMI standards :laugh:

RedHawkDown

Aug 26, 2011
Canada
.......What? Are you using BMI because Crosby's BMI is slightly higher than that. Guess Sid needs to lose some weight because athletes arent supposed to have weight on them.

Crosby isn't far of from being considered "obese" by BMI standards :laugh:
I am using BMI. Crosby is one of the strongest athletes in the league with absurd lower body strength. If Moritz can put on that much muscle it’s fine, but for the average person and even for a solid athlete 230-250lbs at 6’4” isn’t lanky or skinny.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I am using BMI. Crosby is one of the strongest athletes in the league with absurd lower body strength. If Moritz can put on that much muscle it’s fine, but for the average person and even for a solid athlete 230-250lbs at 6’4” isn’t lanky or skinny.
BMI in an athletic population is literally the worst body composition measure that exists. It's validity from a healthcare perspective is even questionable in a lot of circumstances.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
230 is overweight at 6 foot 4. Difference is these athletes have significant muscle mass so BMI isn't as reliable for them, but let's not pretend that a weight of 230-250 for a regular person at 6'4" is normal, because thats a BMI of 28-30 which is between high end of overweight and low end of obese.

230 would be fine for Seider, but much more than that is definitely not healthy and will limit his mobility unless he puts on a huge amount of muscle.
Lol im 5'11 and 230 and Im certainly not obese. BMI completely ignores muscle mass its a stupid way to evaluate even normal people.

RedHawkDown

Aug 26, 2011
Canada
BMI in an athletic population is literally the worst body composition measure that exists. It's validity from a healthcare perspective is even questionable in a lot of circumstances.
I agree with you and understand your point but even Arnold Schwarzenegger was only 235lbs at 6’2” at his peak. And Im sure we can agree no or extremely few NHL players have more muscle than him. All I meant was that it’s important to watch the weight even for a guy of Seiders height; it can start impacting mobility if guys just pack on size.

anyways it’s tangential to the discussion so moving on. The kid looked good last night, good recovery after a rough 2nd game. Really hope the wings have a future top pairing pivot here

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Didn't know he was 6'4" and was responding to the 240 part of the estimate.

You definitely got a point. Everyone are built differently, and there are of course freaks that can pull off insane weights (Buff primary).

But more often than not 230 6’4 D is going to risk becoming a bit immobile.

It’s pros and cons. More lbs make you harder to move while fewer lbs makes you faster (very simplified, but I don’t think it’s unfair in general). What do you gain the most from on the average shift? To get from A to B fast or be hard to move?

Reactions: cheesehead9099

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Make it six points.

Matched his DEL total last year already. So much for offensively limited.
Let's not get too carried away with his offensive potential. Most of his points will be simple assists. What's going to make him worth the 6th overall pick is his defense.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Let's not get too carried away with his offensive potential. Most of his points will be simple assists. What's going to make him worth the 6th overall pick is his defense.

I get what you're saying, but don't discount those simple assists. Watching a lot of Oilers hockey these last few seasons, there is value to a defenseman making a simple pass to transition out of their own zone to give the forwards a chance to create some offense. Assist resulting from such plays may not stand out as great offensive plays, but they still matter.

Overall I agree with the sentiment that his offense will not be that of a #6 pick, but the offense he can bring, paired with his defensive game could very well end up worthy of that pick and maybe more.

Seider is a fast learner, a very smart player and driven to improve his game. There are really not many limitations (physically or mentally) on what he can become, so I am looking forward to see how he is developed in Detroit/Grand Rapids.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I get what you're saying, but don't discount those simple assists. Watching a lot of Oilers hockey these last few seasons, there is value to a defenseman making a simple pass to transition out of their own zone to give the forwards a chance to create some offense. Assist resulting from such plays may not stand out as great offensive plays, but they still matter.

Overall I agree with the sentiment that his offense will not be that of a #6 pick, but the offense he can bring, paired with his defensive game could very well end up worthy of that pick and maybe more.

Seider is a fast learner, a very smart player and driven to improve his game. There are really not many limitations (physically or mentally) on what he can become, so I am looking forward to see how he is developed in Detroit/Grand Rapids.

He's got 3 5 on 5 secondary assists.
Zero primaries.
A couple PP assists and an EN assist.

Seider is not a dynamic offensive player. He's a smart player. He'll make simple passes.

The Wings are giving him every opportunity on the PP (he was out three for three shorthanded goals last game, I believe.
But I think it's highly unlikely he ever unseats Hronek or Cholowski on the powerplay.

Reactions: Sir Savage the 21st

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
He's got 3 5 on 5 secondary assists.
Zero primaries.
A couple PP assists and an EN assist.

Seider is not a dynamic offensive player. He's a smart player. He'll make simple passes.

The Wings are giving him every opportunity on the PP (he was out three for three shorthanded goals last game, I believe.
But I think it's highly unlikely he ever unseats Hronek or Cholowski on the powerplay.

You make your post like its a bad thing. What I got from it is that hes a young 18 year old dman in a young league being productive and trusted in all situations already..

Lidstrom wasnt a dynamic offensive player either but he made a lot of the simple plays extremely well and it made him productive for a long time.

Reactions: wetcoast

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
He's already 22nd (22nd out of 248 all-time) on the all-time list for points by an 18 year old in the AHL, as a defenceman. (LINK)
On points alone, he's doing great, His play in the last 4 or 5 games has been stellar.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stive Morgan

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com

the simple quick pass by a dman in own end to get puck out is gold ! a dman with the soft hands and quickeness of thought to make these plays that keep his own end from turning into a nightmare are extremely valuable , that quick thought / soft hand capability is thee most absolute important aspect of a dman . add that to sides smooth agile 360 degree skating / long reach to defend with / ruggedness / smart accurate wrist shot / spirited confident play and youve a very valuable dman .

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
He's already 22nd (22nd out of 248 all-time) on the all-time list for points by an 18 year old in the AHL, as a defenceman. (LINK)
On points alone, he's doing great, His play in the last 4 or 5 games has been stellar.
Please, for the love of god, don't do this.
We are better than leafs fans.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Excuse me for stating facts and my opinion, I thought this was a discussion forum.
Of the 248 players, 213 of them played less than 10 games.

Playing in the AHL as an 18 year old is a fluke of the rules, not some achievement in itself. It forces a ridiculously small sample size which results in ridiculous claims such as Timothy Liljegren putting up record setting all-time offensive numbers....despite the fact he had one goal.

Just comment on his play (I'm a huge fan of his). The "top 3 AHL 18 year old defenders born on a Tuesday" stuff is ridiculous.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
I agree with you and understand your point but even Arnold Schwarzenegger was only 235lbs at 6’2” at his peak. And Im sure we can agree no or extremely few NHL players have more muscle than him. All I meant was that it’s important to watch the weight even for a guy of Seiders height; it can start impacting mobility if guys just pack on size.

anyways it’s tangential to the discussion so moving on. The kid looked good last night, good recovery after a rough 2nd game. Really hope the wings have a future top pairing pivot here

Extremely few? Just shows how clueless you are about the subject to be hesitant enough to through that in there. Zero NHL players have or ever had the muscle mass of Arnold :laugh:

Arnolds walk around weight was 250-260 absolutely shredded. You can't compare a body builder to anyone of this world when at competition weight....... You realize how dry they are on stage right?

BMI shouldn't even exist let alone be acknowledged by anyone.

Reactions: Sir Savage the 21st
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad