RD Justin Barron (2020, 25th, COL; traded to MTL)

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
He was a top 10 before the season started but he had a very poor season overall. Even before his injury he stalled. Players like Lavoie and Grouxl still had good seasons before being traded.

This season should give us a better idea, but to many Halifax fans he was a better player at 17 than 18.

Barron reaches the 3rd pairing, it's still an achievement considering the DMen depth on the AVs. He can remain in Halifax for a few seasons. He needed to carry a rebuilding team, but won't b required when he joins the AVs.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Barron reaches the 3rd pairing, it's still an achievement considering the DMen depth on the AVs. He can remain in Halifax for a few seasons. He needed to carry a rebuilding team, but won't b required when he joins the AVs.
Im pretty sure its his last season in the Q before he can play in the AHL.

I agree getting a bottom pairing D late in the 1st round isn't a bad thing at all. Just disagreeing with the poster saying he will be a Bouwmeester player. That would make him a top 15-20D in his prime

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
He played his first game of the season tonight. Did anybody catch it? How did he look?

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
He played his first game of the season tonight. Did anybody catch it? How did he look?

I didn't seem the game, so someone else will need to comment. He finished pointless and a -2 in a 5-3 loss. I am not sure how he finished without credit for an assist, however, in what seems to a be some strange scorekeeping (see below).

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Can't give a guy like Barron that much room to move. He doesn't waste time when there's an opening.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
People should keep in mind this is his 4th QMJHL season. At this point the numbers he puts up probably won’t be a further indicator of his future offensive potential.

Reactions: Dirtyfighter

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
People should keep in mind this is his 4th QMJHL season. At this point the numbers he puts up probably won’t be a further indicator of his future offensive potential.
But people should also realize that this is the first year he’s had to be able to put up some offensive numbers. It’s good to see that he can run a power play. He had no power play time his rookie season followed by limited second power play duties in the Memorial Cup run second year and his third was a write off. However you could see in his third year he was able to go end to end multiple times every game. I don’t think that the Avalanche picked him for any kind of an offensive role but more of a complementary player minute muncher.

Reactions: Dominance

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
Avs don't need another offensive dmen Avs need a big two-way who play well in d zone and PK. I hope Barron is a good guy.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011

You're not wrong but he still is only 18. Not like we're dealing with Chris Bigras here putting up over a point per game in his 4th season at 19/20.

Last edited:

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Wrong thread. This thread is for Justin Barron.

No. It was just an example to show that there is a big gap between the CHL and the AHL.
We will have to wait until we see him in AHL at 20 to get a better idea of his chances of playing a significant role in NHL.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
No. It was just an example to show that there is a big gap between the CHL and the AHL.
We will have to wait until we see him in AHL at 20 to get a better idea of his chances of playing a significant role in NHL.
your posting makes no sense...in the same instance I could post someone like Brad Marchand, Mathieu Perreault, Jonathan Huberdeau...all who did good in there 4th year in the league and translated to the next level...every player is different...comparing player 1 to another makes no sense...Barron has amazing skating, puck handling and IQ, he needs to learn learn how to slow things down and speed them up...this is the year which allows players like him to focus on the small things that help translate to the next level, some players do it easy some take longer, some can not do it at all...Barrons skating and raw skills might have him do a lot better next year in either NHL or AHL.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
your posting makes no sense...in the same instance I could post someone like Brad Marchand, Mathieu Perreault, Jonathan Huberdeau...all who did good in there 4th year in the league and translated to the next level...every player is different...comparing player 1 to another makes no sense...Barron has amazing skating, puck handling and IQ, he needs to learn learn how to slow things down and speed them up...this is the year which allows players like him to focus on the small things that help translate to the next level, some players do it easy some take longer, some can not do it at all...Barrons skating and raw skills might have him do a lot better next year in either NHL or AHL.

The meaning of my message is that Barron's place in NHL is not acquired today and that it is not his performances in CHL that will be able to determine this. Considering that a lot of players as talented or more talented than Barron at the same age haven't made it into NHL, that makes sense.

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
The meaning of my message is that Barron's place in NHL is not acquired today and that it is not his performances in CHL that will be able to determine this. Considering that a lot of players as talented or more talented than Barron at the same age haven't made it into NHL, that makes sense.
Can you please point to the posts in this thread that try to make the case that you’re arguing against?

Reactions: Tralfamadore

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
What purpose ? Waste my time in an endless discussion ?
The answer of course is there aren’t any posts making a case for what you were arguing against. No one believes that Barron’s place in the NHL is acquired today so it is puzzling that you felt the need to state that.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
The answer of course is there aren’t any posts making a case for what you were arguing against. No one believes that Barron’s place in the NHL is acquired today so it is puzzling that you felt the need to state that.

I'm not sure where you're going with me. I only came up with only one idea : the level gap between the QMJHL and AHL is enormous. Much more than the performances during his 4th season in QMJHL, it is his first season in AHL that will give information on his chances of playing in NHL. As was the case for Marchand. But I have already said it for the third time. It does not deserve to debate 300 years.

Last edited by a moderator:

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
I'm not sure where you're going with me. I only came up with only one idea : the level gap between the QMJHL and AHL is enormous. Much more than the performances during his 4th season in QMJHL, it is his first season in AHL that will give information on his chances of playing in NHL. As was the case for Marchand. But I have already said it for the third time. It does not deserve to debate 300 years.
But what you are saying is nothing new. Everyone knows that there is a huge gap between junior hockey and professional hockey. Your response suggested that you felt posters were proclaiming that Barron is already an NHL player, but no one was doing that. Noting a player’s achievements in junior hockey, regardless of what year of eligibility they are in, is fine as long as it is taken in context. Everyone knows that.

Reactions: Frobbo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad