RD Justin Barron (2020, 25th, COL; traded to MTL)

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
From what I have read he doesn't really have high upside but could be a 2nd pairing RD. Habs pretty weak on RD prospect wise, good fit.
I think he does have some high end potential, but it's not like he is going to be the next Makar.

Reactions: jabubenice

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
I seem to recall he was a top-10 prospect before his draft year? Plus to be honest Colorado has good scouting. I think this was a nice get by MTL. Looking forward to seeing how he turns out.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I seem to recall he was a top-10 prospect before his draft year? Plus to be honest Colorado has good scouting. I think this was a nice get by MTL. Looking forward to seeing how he turns out.
He was highly thought of, not sure of an exact ranking pre-2020 season, but I think injury concerns pushed him down. He was anywhere in that late first-mid second round rankings at the time of the draft (but so were tons of others; 2020 draft really opened up at around pick 20).

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto

Scored a beauty of a 1st goal...had a rough first couple of games but his confidence is growing fast, he's looked very good the last couple of games.

Reactions: Dominance

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I dont know if its going to be a 3rd or 4th, but the kid projects as a solid 2nd pairing defenseman, in the mold of a Broberg. His skating is high end.
I think projecting him as a solid 2nd pairing with some degree of confidence is about bang on for Barron right now. At 20 years old, and with seemingly some continued growth in his game since the draft, he has top pairing potential with less confidence.

Great pickup for the Habs.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I'm not missing the point at all. Nobody thinks he's the next Makar. He's a good 2nd pairing prospect (#3-#4) and most Habs fans are aware of this.
Man he sure has a way to go to becoming a #-4 NHL dman which I think is his ceiling.

He looks okay out there but I just don't see that type of ceiling more like a bubble guy but so hard to say with Dmen.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Man he sure has a way to go to becoming a #-4 NHL dman which I think is his ceiling.

He looks okay out there but I just don't see that type of ceiling more like a bubble guy but so hard to say with Dmen.
I am not good at evaluating d but he definitely looks like a 2nd pair defenseman to me.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil

If you are basing it on tonight, it was definitely not his best game.

He was playing quite well previously though. He's always going to be a guy who has some ''uh oh'' moments but the shot and wheels will allow him to be at least a #4 D I believe.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
If you are basing it on tonight, it was definitely not his best game.

He was playing quite well previously though. He's always going to be a guy who has some ''uh oh'' moments but the shot and wheels will allow him to be at least a #4 D I believe.
I wasn't basing it on last night's game , as I didn't watch but in my previous viewings of him.

He "looks" really good at times but in gameplay his processing skills don't stand out and that's what I typically look for in a Dman.

I have no doubt that he will become an NHL Dman but he will be a non impact #4-5 type of guy on a middling team not a top 4 guy on a SC contender IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad