RD Justin Barron (2020, 25th, COL; traded to MTL)

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Since you are misinterpreting the deeper meanings of other people's messages, I will make mine clear. Barron's performances are not exceptional. I never said anybody said that Barron is already an NHL player. Capisce ?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Bode WILDE, born in 2000

Season 2018/19 OHL 62 GP 70 PTS
Season 2019/20 AHL 20 GP 2 PTS
This is a really weird example because a lot of players that make the transition from CHL to AHL have a tough time during their rookie year. It just isn't Wilde and it won't finish with Barron. Just look at Kole Lind and the progression he's made. That's what you want to see, plus points in the AHL doesn't matter either, IE Kevin Shattenkirk.

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
I did not misinterpret anything. What you wrote was entirely different than "Barron's performances are not exceptional". If you had just wrote what you (apparently) meant in the first place I don't think anyone would have taken issue with it. I agree that Barron's performances in junior hockey have not been exceptional.

Reactions: Dominance

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
I could have taken many other examples than Bode Wilde indeed. It doesn't change anything at the bottom of my message. I'm waiting to see Barron in AHL.

yeaher

May 3, 2019
Are blood clots a reoccurring injury? I’m just asking honestly, I’ve no clue.

I thought the concerns about Barron were that he missed one year of development and not enough scouting time, not That this would plague him his whole career but again, I don’t know much about blood clots.

Yes and no; If he were to develop a non traumatic blood clot "again" or got one in his lung, a PE, it would be recommended that he be on lifelong anticoagulation. I would assume they ran tests for hereditary thrombophilias which preclude this, if it was traumatic(which it probably was, but again best to be safe than sorry), I think its a complete non issue.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I wouldn’t be excited to see anyone in Colorado’s AHL system. Considering the org knew he was on a faster track to pro let’s hope they have a plan.

I’ve seen about 4 of his game thus far this season. I like Barron’s offensive instincts so the production falls in line for me there. His biggest leap will probably be learning pro defending in the AHL.

Reactions: Tube Skates

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I wouldn’t be excited to see anyone in Colorado’s AHL system. Considering the org knew he was on a faster track to pro let’s hope they have a plan.

I’ve seen about 4 of his game thus far this season. I like Barron’s offensive instincts so the production falls in line for me there. His biggest leap will probably be learning pro defending in the AHL.

Barron is insurance for Timmins.

If he develops into a decent 2nd/3rd line player, this would partially solve the lack of RHD depth.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Barron is insurance for Timmins.

If he develops into a decent 2nd/3rd line player, this would partially solve the lack of RHD depth.

It bodes well for a team when the fans are starting to call first round picks insurance. I don’t want to single out any fanbases, but you often see certain fanbases that talk about needing first and second round picks to step into their lineup in upcoming years, and I shake my head. Except for the absolute best prospects, it doesn’t work that way. These kids could bust or could be great. The teams that don’t need contributions from these players are the teams that are best off within the league.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
4 points in the 4 exhibition games playing with (and against) probably the best group of Canadian junior eligibles in a few years. Solid performance.

Reactions: Dominance

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
Barron is a very consistent defender with great compete level and confidence, he doesn't have a main asset to his game that's better than the rest but he can pretty much do it all.

He doesn't stress when making a play and has great awareness of the players around him, if he thinks he can get an opportunity to shoot he will shoot. And he doesn't look for pretty goals he will take shots through traffic or almost anywhere on the ice where an opportunity looks available.

He is a very smart player on and off the ice, he is very hard working in school and was very much considering going the NCAA like his Rangers Signed Brother Morgan. I can't wait to see where his career goes from here and hopefully he gets another shot at the Memorial Cup if it happens this year.

Last edited:

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
He's been pretty solid at the WJC's making a stacked Canada time right after his draft (granted he's a late '01 birthdate) - it's a pleasant tick up in form for a guy who struggled with injury and form last year and is looking like a pretty solid late '1st round pick.

It's fun reading through this thread - it shows you what a roller coaster prospect development can be. When he arrived on the scene with his silky skating there was so much hype about his upside and talk of him being a top 10 or even higher pick. Then he struggles with injuries and a dip in play and falls greatly right before the draft. But the Avs then "reach" a bit (according to most rankings) to grab him in the late 1st. And then COVID hits and season is delayed and we have no idea what we have. But he looks solid in camp with Team Canada, makes the squad and has been a quite reliable outside a mistake here or there (which even the best players are dealing with, kicking off rust).

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He is a very smart player on and off the ice, he is very hard working in school and was very much considering going the NCAA like his Rangers Signed Brother Morgan.

I heard an interview with Morgan earlier this year where he made it seem like it was never an option for Justin because he was too good. I don't know that I agree that Canadian players can be too good to play NCAA, considering some of the Canadian players we've seen play NCAA, but thats what I thought he was suggesting.

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
I heard an interview with Morgan earlier this year where he made it seem like it was never an option for Justin because he was too good. I don't know that I agree that Canadian players can be too good to play NCAA, considering some of the Canadian players we've seen play NCAA, but thats what I thought he was suggesting.
If you're too good for NCAA, you're too good for the QMJHL. Lol. We'll never know for sure what his plan is, all we know is he chose the QMJHL and is a late 1st round pick looking like a great NHL defenseman in the future. I played one game against Justin Barron and he was without a doubt the hardest player I've ever played against. lol

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
If you're too good for NCAA, you're too good for the QMJHL. Lol. We'll never know for sure what his plan is, all we know is he chose the QMJHL and is a late 1st round pick looking like a great NHL defenseman in the future. I played one game against Justin Barron and he was without a doubt the hardest player I've ever played against. lol

Something the average fan often forgets. There are some players that you don't like to play or don't want to play.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Ever hear of Cale Makar? Too good for the NCAA lol

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
It bodes well for a team when the fans are starting to call first round picks insurance. I don’t want to single out any fanbases, but you often see certain fanbases that talk about needing first and second round picks to step into their lineup in upcoming years, and I shake my head. Except for the absolute best prospects, it doesn’t work that way. These kids could bust or could be great. The teams that don’t need contributions from these players are the teams that are best off within the league.

Well, I think they're looking at Erik Johnson now and down the road. Johnson is still a good player but it seems like he gets injured more frequently.

I think Timmins might be a hedge for Johnson. But since Timmins is hit or miss health wise, I think Barron is the hedge against Johnson/Timmins. Ideally both can stay healthy and progress to be long term answers to RD.

dmac7719

Apr 27, 2018
Ontario
CHL teams are getting these kids when they are 15/16 years old, so maybe the too good comment was more based on Justin being too good at his age not to get playing time in the Q. Since a player looses college hockey eligibility as soon as he plays a CHL, and Barron was playing in the Q as a 16 year old, NCAA hockey just kind of looks like it was never a real option for him.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
CHL teams are getting these kids when they are 15/16 years old, so maybe the too good comment was more based on Justin being too good at his age not to get playing time in the Q. Since a player looses college hockey eligibility as soon as he plays a CHL, and Barron was playing in the Q as a 16 year old, NCAA hockey just kind of looks like it was never a real option for him.

That’s exactly how I took it.

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
I'm so confused right now, forget it. Lol

I was just saying the NCAA is a harder league than the QMJHL, imo at least. If he was too good for the NCAA he would be too good for the QMJHL, that goes for Cale Makar too, pfft Cale Makar would dominate the Q if he played there. He's born in Calgary anyway so that's not even possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad