RD Justin Barron (2020, 25th, COL; traded to MTL)

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
Give this guy a lot of runway and he’ll reward you. Gotta remember he lost huge portions of two junior seasons with health issues.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
He's been playing well since his return to the Habs roster. Excited to see what he brings next season with the new found confidence.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I wasn't basing it on last night's game , as I didn't watch but in my previous viewings of him.

He "looks" really good at times but in gameplay his processing skills don't stand out and that's what I typically look for in a Dman.

I have no doubt that he will become an NHL Dman but he will be a non impact #4-5 type of guy on a middling team not a top 4 guy on a SC contender IMO.
If Crosby says he'll be good, I'll trust his judgment over yours.

Via comments reported by Kris Letang at the time, during the podcast "Lavoie-Letang", the 87 had severely criticized the transaction.

"Sidney Crosby has known so many talented players that he knows them when he sees them. In his eyes, Justin Barron is clearly in that category. In fact, Crosby believes the Colorado Avalanche made a mistake in trading the promising defenseman to the Montreal Canadiens."

"Upon learning of the trade, Crosby said, 'I never would have done this if I were the Avalanche. This kid here, he's a real hockey player. He's ready to play in the NHL and he's going to be a good player." - Sidney Crosby

Kid is 21 y old and he plays regular minutes in the NHL. He has shown constant progression at each level since his draft (Q, AHL, NHL).

Of course he's not perfect, but I'd be careful to say he'll be a non impact player based on his play this year.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
If Crosby says he'll be good, I'll trust his judgment over yours.

Kid is 21 y old and he plays regular minutes in the NHL. He has shown constant progression at each level since his draft (Q, AHL, NHL).

Of course he's not perfect, but I'd be careful to say he'll be a non impact player based on his play this year.
I'm not making that prediction based on this year or last night's game but my viewings of him over the years but maybe he just didn't stand out in the games I have seen him in.

He is a guy who "looks" really good has skating, size, shot ect but somehow the whole package is less than the sum of it's parts.

All that being said there is nothing wrong with being a solid non impact #4-5 Dman in the NHL plenty of guys really don't reach that potential.

This is the original post I was responding to here.
I'm not missing the point at all. Nobody thinks he's the next Makar. He's a good 2nd pairing prospect (#3-#4) and most Habs fans are aware of this.

A "good second paring" prospect means he ends up being a top 63-80 Dman in the league.

Sure that could happen but I see him more in the 100something range at best but hey some prospects end up shining.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad