RD Filip Johansson - Leksand, SWE JRs (2018, 24th, MIN, signed by VAN)

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It's just that, as a team, MN is desperate for top 6 C's and forward skill, with Koivu and Staal getting well on in years...and Veleno was just sitting there. I know it's easy to be a Monday morning QB, but I wanted Veleno when it came clear he was available. Would've understood taking Noel, or Bokk, Thomas...didn't even know who FJo was.

While Veleno is no sure thing, would anyone be surprised if he ends up having a NHL career as a middle six C, or a top 6 forward?

FJo meanwhile...the odds aren't looking good for him. When will he even play in the SEL? I mean, I don't want to get too hysterical, because he is playing in a men's league(poor man's ECHL), and not HS, but it sounds like the Wild scouting staff fell in love with the idea of a RH Brodin, and based their pick off of a very small sample size, last year's playoffs, where FJo looked good.

Hope I am wrong and we are all laughing at me in 3-4 years time, with Veleno having a mediocre career in the AHL and Johansson playing in our top 4...:rolleyes:
My main point was, getting a competent 5th defenceman who you don't have to overpay for at 24 is basically just average. It is slightly annoying, but not crushing. Now, Filip Johnsson appears to be a long way from reaching that. The draft really becomes a crapshoot after about pick 15 on average. Some teams can consistently draft well and get value, but even they'll have the occasional misses in that range. Although, for whatever reason, the best value to be found in the 20-30 range tends to be wingers. Finding legit top 6 centers there isn't that common. Between 2005 and 2012, you basically got Giroux, Kuznetsov, and Backlund. Kuznetsov also was a top 10 pick who slipped at the height of KHL fears. Then guys who rotate positions like Coyle and Brock Nelson. Quickly glancing from 2013 to 2017, you see some guys who might (Colin White for example), but it is rare. It's actually pretty crazy how many of the leagues legit top 6 centers were drafted in the top 10, especially when you look at top line one's compared to where elite wingers and D come from.

I agree with the anger at the pick, I would be too if I was the fan of the team that took him there. I was just stating a competent 5th defender is pretty much average for that pick.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well...it's not exactly an exciting pick. At least Veleno isn't killing it in the AHL, making me feel even worse, though i still like his game. I will say that they appear to have got it right with the Beckman and Khovanov picks, though.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Have you sen him play?

throughout the past 2 years I’ve probably watched about 5 of his games, I know it’s a small sample size but he’s literally showed me nothing. He’s closer in talent to someone who should’ve got passed over in the draft than gone first round!

Reactions: Killerjas

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Well...it's not exactly an exciting pick. At least Veleno isn't killing it in the AHL, making me feel even worse, though i still like his game. I will say that they appear to have got it right with the Beckman and Khovanov picks, though.

Veleno is doing fine in the AHL, he has the most points for a 19 year old in the AHL so far. Almost a 0.5ppg for a 19 year who turned 20 in January is pretty good!

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
Veleno is doing fine in the AHL, he has the most points for a 19 year old in the AHL so far. Almost a 0.5ppg for a 19 year who turned 20 in January is pretty good!

how many 19 year old forwards are in the AHL ?

also why even say ‘almost 0.5 ppg’. He’s at 0.43...

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
Does he have any shot at becoming a top 4 D? He’s going to playing alongside Norlinder this year. Who has more upside?

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
In this D+2 year he got 4 points in 39 games playing for Leksands. -9 player. Eventhough Leksands was not a good team, I kinda hoped he would do better. Was invisible for Sweden's U20.

What are his strengths? I just don't see any indication that he will even play in NA before 2022. LONG TERM project.

Minnesota fans kicking themselves for picking him before Lundkvist, Docker and Sandin.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Even when playing his best, FJo is not the type to overwhelm with his boxscores. It is hoped that he turns into a RHD Jonas Brodin, or at least a poor man's version. At this point, he is behind Addison, Menell, and Belpedio on the Wild RHD prospect chart, though they are different types of players.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Looks like he has picked up play stats wise last couple of weeks - anyone able to speak to his play? Improvement at all or still a bust?

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I feel bad labeling this kid a "bust". Its not his fault that the Wild reached big time when they drafted him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad