RD Filip Johansson - Leksand, SWE JRs (2018, 24th, MIN, signed by VAN)

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
the fact that he didn't sign? he's a 1st round pick you aren't going to just not offer a contract to a kid you drafted in the 1st round
Why would they offer a contract? Johansson has been a non-factor, can totally understand how Minnesota is dissapointed Johansson has not take a step to the next level. Better to get a 2nd round pick back instead of signing a guy who you dont think be a potential player.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Why would they offer a contract? Johansson has been a non-factor, can totally understand how Minnesota is dissapointed Johansson has not take a step to the next level. Better to get a 2nd round pick back instead of signing a guy who you dont think be a potential player.

How many 22 year old former 1st round picks do you know that don't get a contract offer?

P10p

May 15, 2012

The fact that it states the Wild must offer a contract to receive a pick, and they are receiving a pick.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
The fact that it states the Wild must offer a contract to receive a pick, and they are receiving a pick.
You have wrong information.

"How do the Wild get a compensatory pick for Johansson? I thought they had to make an offer for that to apply. I am assuming they didn’t. Am I missing something? — Kristopher M.

OK, I did some checking on this because the CBA is not clear, but basically, if you draft a Canadian junior, after the first year, you make a bona fide offer that few in their right mind would ever accept anyway. As for college and European players, you hold their rights for four years. On June 1, the league will check to see if you’re signing those players. Because Johansson is a 2018 first-rounder, if Minnesota tells the NHL on June 1 it’s not signing him, the Wild will automatically get a compensatory pick in the second round. He was 24th overall, so add 32 spots from there and that’ll be where they’d pick in Round 2 assuming no other 2018 first-rounders aren’t signed as well.

So, once and for all, because I’ve written it and said it wrong in the past: The Wild have not and probably will not have to make him a bona fide offer."

P10p

May 15, 2012
You have wrong information.

"How do the Wild get a compensatory pick for Johansson? I thought they had to make an offer for that to apply. I am assuming they didn’t. Am I missing something? — Kristopher M.

OK, I did some checking on this because the CBA is not clear, but basically, if you draft a Canadian junior, after the first year, you make a bona fide offer that few in their right mind would ever accept anyway. As for college and European players, you hold their rights for four years. On June 1, the league will check to see if you’re signing those players. Because Johansson is a 2018 first-rounder, if Minnesota tells the NHL on June 1 it’s not signing him, the Wild will automatically get a compensatory pick in the second round. He was 24th overall, so add 32 spots from there and that’ll be where they’d pick in Round 2 assuming no other 2018 first-rounders aren’t signed as well.

So, once and for all, because I’ve written it and said it wrong in the past: The Wild have not and probably will not have to make him a bona fide offer."

Apologies to the poster above, I was wrong.

PuckPoise

May 25, 2011
Good luck! Have to feel for a kid who gets picked too early (under mysterious circumstances) and has to deal with the fanbase anger and pressure.

Unless he actively sought it out I doubt it reached him at all. Maybe some "helpful" friends would have shown him. Probably tougher to learn that the team that believed in you enough to draft you did not want to even give you a contract.

Looked quite good last season in the SHL. I get why MIN would take the 2nd round pick and get a new chance to get someone really good, but I bet they would've been pretty excited about his potential and happily brought him over if he was a 5th rounder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad