RD Filip Johansson - Leksand, SWE JRs (2018, 24th, MIN, signed by VAN)

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
I'm not going to harp on this player more than necessary but it's a very Wild move to make (no pun intended). I used to follow the Wild a lot and was pissed off almost every draft when they went for the 'safe bet' over the exciting ones. I can be completely wrong here but this pick reminds me of when DR picked James Sheppard over Michael Frolik, Colton Gillies over Alexei Cherepanov (R.I.P.) and Tyler Cuma over John Carlson or when Fletcher picked Joel Eriksson-Ek over Brock Boeser and Travis Konecny. Does Minnesota still employ the same scouting team that they did under Risebrough or what? I would have wanted Bokk at that spot.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Had him as a sleeper pick, thought he'd maybe go early 2nd round. People who have never seen him play just assume that he sucks. Johansson is a fine player, in the same tier as Lundeström and Sandin who were both picked in the same area.

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
Well I'm not really saying that Johansson sucks but I don't think he was the BPA.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Pretty overwhelming negative first impression across the fanbase for this player.

Unless we plan on overhauling our defensive core in the next few years, selecting a quiet two-way defender doesn't meet our organizational needs in the slightest.

Extremely baffling pick considering Bokk and Veleno were still available. IMO, both would fill the team's needs in 2-3 years.

Our best 4 prospects are forwards. One could even argue another 2 or 3 ahead of the first defenseman, depending on how one feels about Lodnia, Shaw or Anas.

Spurgeon only has 2 years left on his deal. RHD might become an organizational need quicker than we might think.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The fact he didn’t even get invited to camp for Sweden for the WJC is more concerning to me than his stats.

But this was a Paul Fenton pick, so I would not be surprised if this kid blows up all of a sudden.

Reactions: NLRAIDERS

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
30 games in Sweden-2 with 0+1 and -13 stats. No invite to the camp before WJC. 8 u20 games in 2018 with 1+0. Undersized, no offensive production, average skating.

This is the most baffling pick ever. There seems to nothing going on with this kid.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
30 games in Sweden-2 with 0+1 and -13 stats. No invite to the camp before WJC. 8 u20 games in 2018 with 1+0. Undersized, no offensive production, average skating.

This is the most baffling pick ever. There seems to nothing going on with this kid.

Wild general manager Paul Fenton told NBCSN that he's "just off the chart with his smarts," citing Johansson's hockey IQ as a reason the team selected him over other higher-ranked available prospects.

Brent Flahr, Wild Senior VP of Hockey Operations: "Johansson is a smart d-man with very good mobility. He moves the puck very well in transition and plays the game with a lot of poise."

Seems like the Wild feel skating and smarts are some standout qualities.

Honestly reminds me a little of Cholowski with the Wings, who was incredibly raw but a guy Detroit felt stood out in the same exact areas.

If you give him some time there may end up being something there. (Take this from someone who had a hard time seeing it with Cholowski at 17/18)

Wild selects Filip Johansson 24th overall in 2018 NHL Entry Draft

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Seems like the Wild feel skating and smarts are some standout qualities.

Honestly reminds me a little of Cholowski with the Wings, who was incredibly raw but a guy Detroit felt stood out in the same exact areas.

If you give him some time there may end up being something there. (Take this from someone who had a hard time seeing it with Cholowski at 17/18)

Wild selects Filip Johansson 24th overall in 2018 NHL Entry Draft

Honestly nothing in this kid says he ll play in the NHL before 24yo. You don't pick 5 year reach projects in the 1st round.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Wild don't need someone who can understand particle physics. They need someone who can put a disc of rubber in a net, while standing on two blades of steel.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Agreed here, don’t select your 5 year project in the first round. If he’s available in the second round then that’s fine and dandy. Rasmus Sandin or AA was the pick there IMO.

WILDTATE10

Jul 24, 2005
There was a rumor at the draft that somebody drafted a player in the 1st round that some other teams had ranked in the 7th.

Just saying...

Yea there’s just about no doubt now that Johansson was it. Just an extremely baffling pick at the time and somehow managed to be even more baffling now. Not a good start for Fenton

Sticktape

Jan 25, 2017
I just don't understand. What could have possibly motivated this pick? The 7 subsequent picks included the likes of Bokk, Bernard Docker, Beaudin, Lundkvist, Sandin, Veleno, and Alexeyev, most of whom are trending well. Johansson might be fine player in the long run but right now you just have to scratch your head a bit. Looking for some insight from some Allsvenskan watchers.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Worst pick of the 2018 Draft by a country mile.

I am very concerned that Fletcher hired Brent Flahr as his Assistant GM in Philly. He was supposedly in charge of drafting in Minnesota and this dud was his last 1st rounder. Hopefully it was more on their scouts than Flahr.

P10p

May 15, 2012
So from what I can gather, FJ had a great playoff performance at the end of last season and Wild brass more than likely thought FJ was just scratching the surface or showing as a late bloomer or w.e but I believe that is a lot of the logic behind this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad