Value of: RD David Savard

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
"you guys" lol.. If you take the sum of everything a fanbase says, you can never be wrong; even amongst "them guys", some agreed or not that those two would get a first.

Petry got a 2nd and Matheson, which i consider more than a late 1st rd pick in value. Eddy got what.. a 3rd and a 7th in the summer? That seemed adequate to me at the time.

However, does a 6'5", 225 lbs, 29 (at the time) player that has a cup, can play 2nd pairing minutes and is good in your locker room get you a late first? At a time when contending teams are looking for exactly this type of player, in a situation where they have to have bidding wars with other teams to get him? I think that if Eddy makes it to the TDL without an injury that year, he absolutely nets a 1st. Especially after what Chiarot got.

I dont think anyone expected a 1st during the summer.

Is Chiarot still a benchmark after what Tanev returned?

Gaud

May 11, 2017
The Tanev deal likely closes the door on Savard being traded.

Doubt KH would move him for that low of a return & hard to imagine many GMs wanting to pay a bigger premium after what Tanev went for.

Just as well for the Habs. Savard will be a good vet to have in the lineup next year with 1 or more of Reinbacher, Hutson & Mailloux likely to get significant time in Montreal (+ continuing to be a mentor to Guhle, Xhekaj, Barron, Strubble & Harris)
Yeah i thought the same when i saw Tanev's return. However, some seem to think this raises Savard's value (supply vs. demand)

Reactions: BLONG7

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Charoot was not bad with Montreal. I believe he was misused by Florida.

Id venture that the way the habs used him made him look better. Price was one of hte best puck moving goalies in the league, often helping D out with a quick first pass. This would speed up the habs because defense didnt have to retreat to behind their own net to get the play started.

This enabled Mtl to get big-bodied defensemen to clear the net on D, and Price basically hid just how slow those D were. Chiarot fit well in this style, but didn't look anywhere near as good afterwards.

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
I get a bit of chuckle, seeing people here say “Habs should not get a 1st for player X”.

Yet every trade deadline from Bergevin to the current Management team, the Habs front office are always able to maximize their assets and extract value from the market.

As a Leafs fan, Savard is the perfect defensemen to add but the Leafs unfortunately have zero cap space and likely do not have the assets to obtain him.

Reactions: viceroy

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
As a Leafs fan, Savard is the perfect defensemen to add but the Leafs unfortunately have zero cap space and likely do not have the assets to obtain him.
That's not true. The Zamboni driver is highly valued in TO and available for a trade.

Last time I saw a poster offer Minten as a top prospect for a trade. We only have 5-6 like him and don't need more.

Edit...I like Knies but he's reaching mythical levels in Leaf land.

Last edited:

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
Besides one flukey run during the covid bubble haven't the Habs been rebuilding for like 10 years?
Nope. Only since Hughes and Gorton arrived have they had a clear plan for a rebuild. Bergevin was mostly doing patchwork.

Savard will only be traded this year for a 1st or equivalent prospect or he will remain a Hab.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
What you said make perfect sense. But we don't have any urgent need to trade Savard. A first or the Habs keep him. Next year, he can get something like what you said at the TDL.
Yeah, Montreal isnt competing this year or next baring a major improvement. They can trade him when they are ready.

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
That's not true. The Zamboni driver is highly valued in TO and available for a trade.

Last time I saw a poster offer Minten as a top prospect for a trade. We only have 5-6 like him and don't need more.

Edit...I like Knies but he's reaching mythical levels in Leaf land.

Knies is a keeper (and not available) but he is not quite the “unicorn” Slaf is!

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Jets fans said the same thing with Monahan and they are very happy atm.

Savard is still a good 4th defenseman that can stabilize a pairing . I’m sure he would help the oilers
I said the same thing about Edmundson before he got hurt last season and very happy we didn't as well.

The Jets were desperate for a 2C and chasing a Canucks trade so it's not comparable.

The Oilers are 5th in SA/GP and 11th for GA/GP so far this season(and I'm sure it's much better after the coaching change)

The Oilers need a 2RW and a 3C more than a bottom 4D that would only be a slight upgrade at best
Yeah i thought the same when i saw Tanev's return. However, some seem to think this raises Savard's value (supply vs. demand)
Off the top of my head; Hanifin, Walker, Carrier, and Ferraro all are rumoured to be available.
The Oilers paid two late firsts and a 4.5m cap dump with term for Ekholm with 2+ years remaining. He's twice the defenseman that Savard is

Gaud

May 11, 2017
I said the same thing about Edmundson before he got hurt last season and very happy we didn't as well.

The Jets were desperate for a 2C and chasing a Canucks trade so it's not comparable.

The Oilers are 5th in SA/GP and 11th for GA/GP so far this season(and I'm sure it's much better after the coaching change)

The Oilers need a 2RW and a 3C more than a bottom 4D that would only be a slight upgrade at best

Off the top of my head; Hanifin, Walker, Carrier, and Ferraro all are rumoured to be available.
The Oilers paid two late firsts and a 4.5m cap dump with term for Ekholm with 2+ years remaining. He's twice the defenseman that Savard is
So mtl will get a late first, you think? :sarcasm:

Gaud

May 11, 2017
That would be Xhekaj...:laugh:

When you go from stacking shelves in COSTCO to playing 25 minutes in the NHL in one season...it's something special.
Junior directly to nhl without being drafted, to boot. He is also the first player in NHL history to have a surname beginning with the letter X haha (according to wikipedia)

Reactions: HabsAddict

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Seems to me that fans of other teams are leaning into various analytics to hate on Savard and are ignoring the opinion of Habs fans. Reminds me of Monahan a few weeks ago, TBH.

Fans of other teams are also ignoring how most Habs fans, myself included, see no rush to move him, and would rather keep him than see him fetch a mediocre return. If the return were going to be Edmundson-like, I'd say we should keep him. If the return is Chiarot-like, then maybe it's impossible to turn down... but there's no reason to move him if no satisfactory offer is on the table.

Allen, Pearson, heck, even Harris, might be available for a low-ball offer, if no one had offered more than a 2nd for Monahan, eventually Habs management would've folded... but there's no reason to sell off Savard for anything other than a "wow" type of offer.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Jets fans said the same thing with Monahan and they are very happy atm.

Savard is still a good 4th defenseman that can stabilize a pairing . I’m sure he would help the oilers
Jets so happy with Monahan that they may want to kick the tires on Savard. They are entitled to the "friends and family" discount. Hughes will let him go for a 2nd to friends or family as long as its a high second. The Jets have on of those, they have Mtl's 2024 2nd which is almost a 1st

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Jets so happy with Monahan that they may want to kick the tires on Savard. They are entitled to the "friends and family" discount. Hughes will let him go for a 2nd to friends or family as long as its a high second. The Jets have on of those, they have Mtl's 2024 2nd which is almost a 1st
Jets owe us a little.

TheOrangeDesk

May 27, 2015
No, the habs never rebuilt under the clown GM Bergevin....
They have been under a rebuild for the past two seasons.....
Knowledge.......is power...
Sorry, guess I was confused by their poor results over the last 10 years

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240304_171238_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240304_171238_Chrome.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 3

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
Habs 2024 2nd would get it done IMO

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I get a bit of chuckle, seeing people here say “Habs should not get a 1st for player X”.

Yet every trade deadline from Bergevin to the current Management team, the Habs front office are always able to maximize their assets and extract value from the market.

just pull a vegas and put one guy on LTIR. We did it with Tyler Myers. He played a full game against L.A and suddenly "he's injured" we know whats going on, lol!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Petrus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad