Value of: RD David Savard

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
It's also fair to assume that a 21yo tall pmd drafted late in the 1st round has warts, nobody is denying that he does. How many NHL PMDs have warts ? Does that make them less valuables assets, less of an NHLer ? Nobody is expecting a perfect top pair D from Barron. But if he ends up a good 4th, we'll be happy. And he will have exceeeded expectations if he does. Expectations tied to a late 1st round pick.

Reposting this for reference (in case you missed the edit).

The thing you're not mentioning is that earlier in his draft year he was slotted to go much higher. He fell due to a health set back. So it's somewhat fair for people to hope he would be closer to that higher pick as long as he was past the health issue. Yes he missed time and so on, but at one point he wasnt "a late first".

So there was a big range in terms of what one might have expected from him. But even the optimum wouldnt mean there would be no warts.

Chose

Loyal Habs fan
Aug 4, 2022
Montréal
Reposting this for reference (in case you missed the edit).

The thing you're not mentioning is that earlier in his draft year he was slotted to go much higher. He fell due to a health set back. So it's somewhat fair for people to hope he would be closer to that higher pick as long as he was past the health issue. Yes he missed time and so on, but at one point he wasnt "a late first".

So there was a big range in terms of what one might have expected from him. But even the optimum wouldnt mean there would be no warts.
Where he was slotted to go before his draft is even more meaningless than his draft position. How is that relevant ?
The question you did not answer is "At the time of the trade, was he perceived to have less chances than a late first round pick to make the NHL ?". That's the question that answers if he was still worth a late first round pick value at the time of the trade. Not even mentionning that a 2nd round pick was added to him to get Lekhonen.
Again, warts are expected on a 21yo tall pmd...
And you are right, being a RHD does add value.
Conclusion: he was still valued at around a late 1st pick at the time of the trade.

Last edited:

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
Where he was slotted to go before his draft is even more meaningless than his draft position. How is that relevant ?
The question you did not answer is "At the time of the trade, was he perceived to have less chances than a late first round pick to make the NHL ?". That's the question that answers if he was still worth a late first round pick value at the time of the trade. Not even mentionning that a 2nd round pick was added to him to get Lekhonen.

My answer is that maybe the Habs saw him as a first but given his positional value, maybe the Avs did not. I can't know this 100% anymore than you can - or vice versa. But the default assumption that the Avs valued him according to his draft position is just as erroneous as the opposite.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Conclusion: he was still valued at around a late 1st pick at the time of the trade.
Not to mention that the Avs still valued him a good bit considering they were unwilling to trade him for someone that they knew they couldn't resign.

That's not something you say about a player you don't really care about losing.

Also not sure why a player's d+2 value is considered the same as his d+4 value to some posters, it is a very drastic difference. Barron lost a ton of value since the trade.

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
Too late. The Habs have already reserved all of the prime tee times.

You are aware the Habs are rebuilding right? I mean you probably don't follow hockey closely so you wouldn't be aware that that isn't really a burn to Habs fans.

It's also fair to assume that a 21yo tall pmd drafted late in the 1st round has warts, nobody is denying that he does. How many NHL PMDs have warts ? Does that make them less valuables assets, less of an NHLer ? Nobody is expecting a perfect top pair D from Barron.

I think some people on here think the Avs had given up on Barron so he was just some throw in and shouldn't be assessed in Lekhonen's value. What they fail to understand is that COL was a legit Cup contender. They didn't have the time to wait for Barron to mature for another 2-3 years. Their Cup window was open and they were smart enough to understand that Lekhs was ready. A 2nd and a recent 1st round project pick was a fair price to pay for a Cup.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Right. Theres a distinction between price and value, however.
But if someone meet that price then it also means he was valued as such by at least one party, which should be enough, no?

If not, then he finish the year in Montreal and we start over again next year.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
i think a few teams would be interested in Savard at 50% but if all he gets is a 2nd i rather keep him for our youngsters hes loved here and wants to stay here
Using a retention over 2 years is probably worth close to second on its own. If you look at the series of trades around Petry, Hughes reacquired him knowing he would burn a 2yr retention spot to get rid of him. Lots of other noises in the trade and related trades but.

Mtl gives up Hoffman, Pitlick and 2 yrs of retention for a 2nd, a 3rd, a 4th and Pearson. The only thing of value they gave up is the retention slot and the only thing of value they got was the picks. Hence the retention slot over 2 yrs is worth the picks.

Reactions: pth2

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Using a retention over 2 years is probably worth close to second on its own. If you look at the series of trades around Petry, Hughes reacquired him knowing he would burn a 2yr retention spot to get rid of him. Lots of other noises in the trade and related trades but.

Mtl gives up Hoffman, Pitlick and 2 yrs of retention for a 2nd, a 3rd, a 4th and Pearson. The only thing of value they gave up is the retention slot and the only thing of value they got was the picks. Hence the retention slot over 2 yrs is worth the picks.
Was Pearson in that deal?

Chose

Loyal Habs fan
Aug 4, 2022
Montréal

Value forgotten in your analysis: Getting rid of Hoffman & Pitlick. Getting rid of Hoffman alone, with his 4.5M$ caphit was worth a lot.

There isn't much real money left on this year's salary, and 25% third party retention on second year is 875k$. So maybe a little more than 1M$ over two years for the 3rd team. That is probably around 3rd pick value.

Reactions: jsol and CDN24

Chose

Loyal Habs fan
Aug 4, 2022
Montréal
So it would go something like this:

Montreal: Leafs' 2024 1st round pick & 50% of Savard's salary (1.75M$ for 2y)
Leafs: Savard (75% retained, 875k$)
Arizona: Leaf's 2024 3rd rnd pick & 25% of Savard's salary for 2 years (875k$)

Insert prospect to allow the 3 team swap.
Gio to Robidas Island.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018

Gio to Robidas Island.
That could actually work, though I don't know if Arizona is the right team to act as intermediary; there are 29 other teams so I figure one of them would take that "free" 3d rounder.

Reactions: Chose

Chose

Loyal Habs fan
Aug 4, 2022
Montréal
That could actually work, though I don't know if Arizona is the right team to act as intermediary; there are 29 other teams so I figure one of them would take that "free" 3d rounder.
Exactly, Arizona was mentionned just to provide an example, but for a free 3rd, I am guessing a few teams would line up...

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
You are aware the Habs are rebuilding right? I mean you probably don't follow hockey closely so you wouldn't be aware that that isn't really a burn to Habs fans.

I am shocked, shocked, to learn that the Habs are rebuilding. I thought that every player on their roster was worth, at a minimum, at least one first round draft choice. (You must be new to Hockeys Future; read some of the post from your fellow Habs fans..)

Reactions: Bluenotes27

MajorWeber

Jun 22, 2017
Montreal, Qc

Gio to Robidas Island.
I'd honestly prefer

Gio to Robidas Island.
IMO I'd rather keep Savard than trading him away 50% retained to the Leafs. He brings a valuable experience to the young D group.

habsterr

Jan 5, 2014
Edmonton
I'd honestly prefer

IMO I'd rather keep Savard than trading him away 50% retained to the Leafs. He brings a valuable experience to the young D group.
Id much rather the 1st rounder over Savard. Let the youth play big minutes this year, if need be sign/trade for a vet in the offseason.

MajorWeber

Jun 22, 2017
Montreal, Qc
Id much rather the 1st rounder over Savard. Let the youth play big minutes this year, if need be sign/trade for a vet in the offseason.
We need to trade some lefties. Savard on the right can stay for a bit. I don't mind a 1st for him, just not in Toronto. They can keep suffering.

Reactions: jsol

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
This is so obvious to the point of being silly and disingenuous for anyone to argue otherwise.

Reactions: Chose and pth2

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
I am shocked, shocked, to learn that the Habs are rebuilding. I thought that every player on their roster was worth, at a minimum, at least one first round draft choice. (Another predictable potshot at Habs fans.)

Hey amigo, welcome to Hockey 101. Today's lesson is that just because a team is rebuilding like MTL or generally sucking like OTT or going through growing pains like the Devils doesn't mean their entire roster sucks.

Case in point the bottom 8 teams in the NHL. Those teams may have cratered but I'd argue that every one of those teams has at least one player worth a 1st. Now I'm not asking YOU to name 'em since you're obviously new to the sport but trust me there are.

That is all.

Last edited:

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
Not to mention that the Avs still valued him a good bit considering they were unwilling to trade him for someone that they knew they couldn't resign.

That's not something you say about a player you don't really care about losing.

Also not sure why a player's d+2 value is considered the same as his d+4 value to some posters, it is a very drastic difference. Barron lost a ton of value since the trade.

As if Sakic was going to put him on blast on his way out the door. Nice job. LOL.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018

Gio to Robidas Island.

Interesting comment now that the dust is settling. If Montreal retained as it did for a delayed 2nd/3rd on Allen, you’re probably right about Montreal doing the same for Savard if a first was on the table.

Would have thought he’d easily get a first easily if Montreal retained as you’re saying and similarly to what they did for Allen.

Maybe Hughes thinks he should get a 1st without retention. But after Tanev, maybe that offer never materialized? Didn’t Seravelli report that the asking price for Savard was/is a 1st?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Gio to Robidas Island.
In real dollars AZ would be paying $1M. That costs a 1st easily.

If he was just a rental 25% would mean about $250K which wou lo d be a late 3rd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad