Value of: RD David Savard

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Apparently Reinbacher is coming to NA in a couple of weeks max. Trading Savard now would make sense. Call up Barron or Mailloux - whichever is more deserving and run the other one and Reinbacher in your top 4 in Laval.

At 50% retained, I expect a 1st + B prospect or a close to being ready F prospect with top 6 potential and a 2nd round pick.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Apparently Reinbacher is coming to NA in a couple of weeks max. Trading Savard now would make sense. Call up Barron or Mailloux - whichever is more deserving and run the other one and Reinbacher in your top 4 in Laval.

At 50% retained, I expect a 1st + B prospect or a close to being ready F prospect with top 6 potential and a 2nd round pick.

That.... Seems fast.

Reactions: JohanFranzenstein

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I'll repeat the same thing I wrote in many other threads: I think he needs to be kept in Montreal, since the D is very, very young. We have a 1st and a 2nd year player on the top 4 already. (ie, Struble and Guhle)

I'd only move him for a high price, that gives Montreal both assets for the future and assets to bolster the blueline in the short term; that's likely a 1st and a 2nd (ie, the 1st for the long-term, the 2nd to replace Savard over the summer without overpaying on the UFA market).

I'd really rather just keep him for one more year, and move him for a 2nd (or more?) in a year, at the 2025 deadline.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Worst defensive results on the Habs by a country mile… except shot blocking (because only two other players in the league let their opponents shoot the puck as much as he does). But if there’s one thing I know it’s that GMs love overpaying for washed vet defensemen at the trade deadline.

Chose

Loyal Habs fan
Aug 4, 2022
Montréal
I say that if Hugues gets his price (1st), now is the time to move from Savard.
His play is set to degrade with his age, and still has value to a contender for his play style and leadership. Also a very sought after commodity (RHD).

Mailloux showed he is ready to be tried on a third pair. Barron needs reps on the 2nd, and Ghule can play the right side until someone shows he can play big minutes on the right side.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
next year he will only be worth a 2nd or 3rd depending on his play but this year at 50% im sure he returns a 1st which has more value to our team then keeping him for 1 more year
I think he is worth more as an insulating defensive presence and leader than as a way of acquiring magic beans.

The impact he might have on Mailloux and Reinbacher could be huge. If it means he only fetches a 2nd in a year, so be it.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Worst defensive results on the Habs by a country mile… except shot blocking (because only two other players in the league let their opponents shoot the puck as much as he does). But if there’s one thing I know it’s that GMs love overpaying for washed vet defensemen at the trade deadline.
Do you think anyone cares about jfresh stats or are you just typing to read your own words?

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I'll repeat the same thing I wrote in many other threads: I think he needs to be kept in Montreal, since the D is very, very young. We have a 1st and a 2nd year player on the top 4 already. (ie, Struble and Guhle)

I'd only move him for a high price, that gives Montreal both assets for the future and assets to bolster the blueline in the short term; that's likely a 1st and a 2nd (ie, the 1st for the long-term, the 2nd to replace Savard over the summer without overpaying on the UFA market).

I'd really rather just keep him for one more year, and move him for a 2nd (or more?) in a year, at the 2025 deadline.
100% agree. Trading Savard would be a disservice to the development of the young D. They arr not even close to being ready ti compete.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

I agree with this and with seemingly better options out there in Hanifin and Tanev there might not be enough buyers out there for Montreal to get "full value" and they need some stability on their back end so keeping him and Mathieson will go a long way in developing their young guys and driving competition.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Let me save a lot of time for the "he's a Hab, haha" experts.

He's worth a 4th and only if Habs put their 2nd.

There, now we can move on to reality.

We don't need to trade him unless he's bringing back a 1st. Which is likely a very late 1st and likely to be more of the same huge pile of picks and prospects we already have.

I would be more interested in moving him for a A grade forward prospect even if we need to add.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
100% agree. Trading Savard would be a disservice to the development of the young D. They arr not even close to being ready ti compete.
I wouldn't even be surprised to see him extended next season, rather than traded. If he's ok with taking on a lesser role and acting more and more like a half-coach, half-player, the D could definitely use him.

Management didn't use a 5th overall on Reinbacher just to throw him to the wolves with a bunch of other young D who can't really help him out.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
I think he is worth more as an insulating defensive presence and leader than as a way of acquiring magic beans.

The impact he might have on Mailloux and Reinbacher could be huge. If it means he only fetches a 2nd in a year, so be it.
Dont see Mailloux or Reinbacher in the NHL next season they should be with the Rocket and Savard will be on hes last year but even so veteran dmans are really not hard to find we can easily trade for one or sign one in the summer and magic beans really? acquiring picks is what rebuilding teams do thats why we traded so many vets for them

If a team offers a 1st for Savard at 50% you make that trade and smile anything less then that yea i rather keep him

Last edited:
Reactions: Kosseca

kyne

Oct 24, 2007
There is no one on the team who can replace him right now. Reinbacker is not a sure thing. Presuming Savard is traded for a pick, it's likely that pick would probably be used in the same way as when the Habs acquired Newhook. Perhaps because of this, I don't see him being traded this year unless there is a chance or a plan to get a young player back somehow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad