Value of: RD David Savard

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Hedman/McDonagh/Cernak/Sergachev vs Bouchard/Ekholm/Nurse/Ceci

Which defense core do you think is easier to crack from these contenders? I agree that swapping Ceci for Savard doesn't make sense for the Oilers, but you can stop pretending that Savard is bad because he's not.
He’s not a top four defenceman on a team with Cup aspirations. Never has been; never will be. Because he’s not; he makes absolutely zero sense as a target for us so y’all can stop throwing out valuations like 1st+Holloway. All things considered (cap, age) we’d rather have Desharnais.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Savard has a -12 XGF. When your full sample size is that terrible for expected goals for… all models are going to work against Savard.
Sometihng as simple as playing for a very bad team and being paired with the newest rookie seems to be too much for some people to understand.

He’s not a top four defenceman on a team with Cup aspirations. Never has been; never will be. Because he’s not; he makes absolutely zero sense as a target for us so y’all can stop throwing out valuations like 1st+Holloway. All things considered (cap, age) we’d rather have Desharnais.
Desharnais is garbage. Savard adds value. There may be a better RD available but Savard would be a good addition for a team that misses out on other possibilities.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Savard has a -12 XGF. When your full sample size is that terrible for expected goals for… all models are going to work against Savard.

But math isn’t something Habs fans believe or understand. Math is biased against your poor players.
Biased how the models said Joel Edmundson was terrible and was the worst player in the league and that turned out to be false.

How Chairot was terrible and was carried by Byfuglien, but fit in and played well, especially considering what was told about him.

Then you try to state expected goals against matters and it isn't a subjective stat.

You've failed to provide any real tangible evidence. You don't watch the Habs, you resort to trying to attack the entire fanbase while just showing that you know jack shit and continuously do it in any thread you post in getting destroyed by every fan base.

Who am I, though. You've never let common sense stop you from failing to make a point, so why should you know ? Must be amazing living in ignorant bliss.

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
I don't think, as a Habs fan, Savard is worth a 1st ( unless someone is desperate) but he would be a solid add for most contending teams and could slot in on a 2nd/3rd pair, play PK and be a net positive to the team. IF IF IF moved ( I'd wait a year) he brings back a decent value.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Biased how the models said Joel Edmundson was terrible and was the worst player in the league and that turned out to be false.

How Chairot was terrible and was carried by Byfuglien, but fit in and played well, especially considering what was told about him.

Then you try to state expected goals against matters and it isn't a subjective stat.

You've failed to provide any real tangible evidence. You don't watch the Habs, you resort to trying to attack the entire fanbase while just showing that you know jack shit and continuously do it in any thread you post in getting destroyed by every fan base.

Who am I, though. You've never let common sense stop you from failing to make a point, so why should you know ? Must be amazing living in ignorant bliss.
I can read and comprehend analytics. Any and all sources. There are any number of models out there. All of them paint Savard as a player that’s having a down year. That’s someone you’d want on your bottom pair only.

But your eye test is all that matters apparently. So we’ll just trust your gut and say he’s worth a 1st ++ just because

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Sometihng as simple as playing for a very bad team and being paired with the newest rookie seems to be too much for some people to understand.

Desharnais is garbage. Savard adds value. There may be a better RD available but Savard would be a good addition for a team that misses out on other possibilities.
Desharnais does his job, does it well, kills penalties, sticks up for teammates, posts positive numbers, and does it all for sub league minimum. Frankly y’all need more heart and soul guys like him so you’d do well to keep his name out of your mouth. His play with ten seconds left today helped win us the game today. You’d win more with more guys like Desharnais. Too many Montreal vets just collecting a paycheck.

I’d rather have Ceci than pay anything of consequence for Savard.

I can read and comprehend analytics. Any and all sources. There are any number of models out there. All of them paint Savard as a player that’s having a down year. That’s someone you’d want on your bottom pair only.

But your eye test is all that matters apparently. So we’ll just trust your gut and say he’s worth a 1st ++ just because
I like how he ignores that Joel Edmundson only got a fraction of what Habs fans wanted and he’s a 6/7 for a trash team today. Not exactly a feather in their “we always get what we want” cap.

So you’re admitting that Oilers do not have Cup aspirations given that the same applies to Ceci. I’ve already said my piece regarding this potential Savard to Oilers trade.
Thing is, Ceci is under contract already. Zero cost. You smoothbrains want a first plus for a guy that isn’t even an upgrade on him.

If as you say the same applies to Ceci, we’ll just keep Ceci instead of throwing picks down the well for a lateral move.

Last edited:

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Thing is, Ceci is under contract already. Zero cost. You smoothbrains want a first plus for a guy that isn’t even an upgrade on him.

If as you say the same applies to Ceci, we’ll just keep Ceci instead of throwing picks down the well for a lateral move.
For the 3rd time, I'm talking about Savard as a player. I've already made it clear how swapping Ceci for Savard does nothing for the Oilers. You're making it seem like he sucks which is wrong. At least you're admitting that the Oiler's defense core is not that of a cup contender.

Last edited:
Reactions: viceroy

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
For the 3rd time, I'm talking about Savard as a player. I've already made it clear how swapping Ceci for Savard does nothing for the Oilers. You're making it seem like he sucks which is wrong. At least you're admitting that the Oiler's defense core is not that of a cup contender.
Up to Oilers. But upgrade on right D this time of year likely going to be expensive. Supply and demand .Available Right D are few and far in between. Especially one with size and a ring.

Leafs just paid a 3rd and a 6th for a rental #7 d-man. For a #4 with control, a first and solid prospect not out of line. Bad contract coming back bumps that more.

Last edited:

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
Desharnais does his job, does it well, kills penalties, sticks up for teammates, posts positive numbers, and does it all for sub league minimum. Frankly y’all need more heart and soul guys like him so you’d do well to keep his name out of your mouth. His play with ten seconds left today helped win us the game today. You’d win more with more guys like Desharnais. Too many Montreal vets just collecting a paycheck.

I’d rather have Ceci than pay anything of consequence for Savard.

I like how he ignores that Joel Edmundson only got a fraction of what Habs fans wanted and he’s a 6/7 for a trash team today. Not exactly a feather in their “we always get what we want” cap.

And you ignore that Edmunson was out with injury for quite a while with back issues and only played like 1 or 2 games before the deadline. Nobody was taking that high risk with a high price. Not sure what he would have gotten if healthy, but people always skip over important facts on this site to suit their agendas.

Reactions: pth2 and viceroy

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Here's the thing. Is Savard necessarily worth a 1st. No. Is it possible Hugo has set the price at a 1st and is playing a bit of hard ball. Yes. Do we have to move him this year? No. Is it possible a team wants him enough to pay a 1st for him. We might find out. Do teams have to pay a 1st for him. No.

If a team doesn't hit Hugo's asking price, there is zero incentive to "settle" for what the market is offering. We can hold on to Savard and do this all again next deadline, when circumstances and market could be different. Is it possible Savard falls off a cliff and the 2nd looks good in comparison? yes. But who really cares, a 2nd isnt really worth much anyways, and at this point next year, when losing him for nothing at years end, we may take whatever we can get for him.

So far, I love the value that Hugo has been able to squeeze out of previous D-men trades. Chariot, Petry, Kulak. Kent Hughes has shown the ability to be a very cool player in the trade market. He so far has not acted rashly or made any desperate trades.

Let's see what happens.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
And you ignore that Edmunson was out with injury for quite a while with back issues and only played like 1 or 2 games before the deadline. Nobody was taking that high risk with a high price. Not sure what he would have gotten if healthy, but people always skip over important facts on this site to suit their agendas.
He’s fully healthy now - and a 6/7 on a slightly better team than the Habs. The Habs being poor and having to play guys in more prominent roles than they should be in doesn’t intrinsically boost their value.

Funny enough we might end up with Edmundson as our #7 - for the cost of a 5th or so.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
What would you want for Allen at 50% retention?

Some Habs fans would say something really stupid like Ritchie or Byram because "Habs fans".

But knowing he is currently at 89% save percentage making far too much AAV to be saving just 89% of the shots he's facing...

I'm all ears. An idea on what type of pick(s) or level of prospect would be the response.

Even with retention, it throws off their cost structure. But hypothetically, Allen and Johansen are effectIively a wash. To retain on Allen 1.9 would cost a pick...a 2nd or a 3rd maybe?

Hard to see the Avs doing this though.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
He might not be traded, but if he is it will be for a return equal to a 1st, that much is clear. If he is traded it won't be for just a 2nd.

Most of this thread is just other fanbases hoping it won't be their team that gives up the 1st
I'm just hoping the Oilers don't acquire him period.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Oh, we're very much interested in upgrading Ceci. We just haven't seen much to indicate that Savard is actually an upgrade on Ceci.

People that overpay for Montreal defencemen have a nasty habit of coming to regret it in short order. Particularly since you just said you value him at a 1st and a 2nd and I would personally egg Ken Holland once a day for the rest of his life if he made that deal.

You guys cannot possibly be serious with this. Are we on Just for Laughs? Is this a bit?
I guess that would mean the Yolk's on him :sarcasm:
Eggsellant :D

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
I think a 2nd or 3rd plus a prospect. 2+ c level prospect and 3rd+ b level prospect. He isn't getting any younger but Is a seasoned veteran capable of eating minutes and doing his job .

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
I think a 2nd or 3rd plus a prospect. 2+ c level prospect and 3rd+ b level prospect. He isn't getting any younger but Is a seasoned veteran capable of eating minutes and doing his job .
What you said make perfect sense. But we don't have any urgent need to trade Savard. A first or the Habs keep him. Next year, he can get something like what you said at the TDL.

Reactions: Outl4w

CAUFIELD

Oct 16, 2015
I'm just hoping the Oilers don't acquire him period.

Jets fans said the same thing with Monahan and they are very happy atm.

Savard is still a good 4th defenseman that can stabilize a pairing . I’m sure he would help the oilers

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Gladly, since every Habs fan seems to be a guy that goes all in on 7-2 offsuit and then gets mad when they bust.

I still remember you guys saying you’d get a first for Edmundson and Petry too.
"you guys" lol.. If you take the sum of everything a fanbase says, you can never be wrong; even amongst "them guys", some agreed or not that those two would get a first.

Petry got a 2nd and Matheson, which i consider more than a late 1st rd pick in value. Eddy got what.. a 3rd and a 7th in the summer? That seemed adequate to me at the time.

However, does a 6'5", 225 lbs, 29 (at the time) player that has a cup, can play 2nd pairing minutes and is good in your locker room get you a late first? At a time when contending teams are looking for exactly this type of player, in a situation where they have to have bidding wars with other teams to get him? I think that if Eddy makes it to the TDL without an injury that year, he absolutely nets a 1st. Especially after what Chiarot got.

I dont think anyone expected a 1st during the summer.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
It's all about leverage...............is there a team who is thinking they are a contender, who needs a Dman?
Is there a bubble playoff team who think they are better than their record who could use a Dman?

If either or both of these things happen, then the guy who has the Dman has leverage.

Stay tuned.......
I am now thinking he does not get traded this deadline, but next year. He is a cheap stay at home 4-5-6 type of Dman.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad